Photo
- - - - -

Jay Glazer: Saints/Payton Agree "In Principle" To New Deal

sean payton new orleans saints

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

I am reporting the Saints and HC Sean Payton have "agreed in principle" to a new multi-year contract extension to remain head coach of the Saints.

http://m.tmi.me/Ecdwa

Pretty much a forgone conclusion, but I know some were hoping he'd come here. I thought there would be a slight chance he would want to go to the Cowboys, but re-signing with a team he had already signed a deal with before the suspension was the right thing for Payton.

#2 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,619 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

http://m.tmi.me/Ecdwa

Pretty much a forgone conclusion, but I know some were hoping he'd come here. I thought there would be a slight chance he would want to go to the Cowboys, but re-signing with a team he had already signed a deal with before the suspension was the right thing for Payton.

Per ESPN it's a done (5 year) deal.

I didn't think there was a prayer he was coming to Philly (not that I particularly wanted him anyway) but the Pokes were a job he had publicly coveted in the past and am somewhat surprised he'd agree to an extension now instead of waiting to see what happens there.

#3 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Least shocking development ever. The idea that he could have ended up elsewhere was a completely fabricated media creation.

#4 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Rome or Brees. Gee I wonder which one I'd want to work with lol. He knows the Saints give him the best chance to win at least one more big game before his new deal is up.

#5 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,619 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Rome or Brees. Gee I wonder which one I'd want to work with lol. He knows the Saints give him the best chance to win at least one more big game before his new deal is up.

The Saints were undoubtedly the prohibitive favorites but Dallas was probably the only other team with a puncher's chance.

Factoring in the age of Peyton and Brady, Brees is the QB (not named Rogers) I'd want going into the next couple of seasons but IMO the Saints have a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball before they're a bona fide SB contender again, especially in an improved NFCS (and really NFC overall).

The Poke"s D on the other hand looks like another legit pass rusher away from being pretty damn good, they've got work to do on the OL but I really think you can win consistently with thier skill position players (including Romo) on O in a more balanced system.

#6 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

The Saints were undoubtedly the prohibitive favorites but Dallas was probably the only other team with a puncher's chance.

Factoring in the age of Peyton and Brady, Brees is the QB (not named Rogers) I'd want going into the next couple of seasons but IMO the Saints have a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball before they're a bona fide SB contender again, especially in an improved NFCS (and really NFC overall).

The Poke"s D on the other hand looks like another legit pass rusher away from being pretty damn good, they've got work to do on the OL but I really think you can win consistently with thier skill position players (including Romo) on O in a more balanced system.

I agree with everything. Even if you look at Dallas, they have a lot of key pieces on offense. Murray, Austin, Bryant and Witten. And with the defense, they aren't far. Dallas has simply suffered from a lot of injuries down the line. But if you look at Brees, he is one of those guys who can make his players better.

The Saints couldn't recover from the Bounty Gate. Their defense wasn't bad last year. But as soon as Williams was gone, that was it. Atlanta will be a contender for years. Tampa has some great pieces, but Freeman is too inconsistent. I don't know what is going to happen to Carolina. The Saints should push for the division title in 2013.

#7 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,619 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I agree with everything. Even if you look at Dallas, they have a lot of key pieces on offense. Murray, Austin, Bryant and Witten. And with the defense, they aren't far. Dallas has simply suffered from a lot of injuries down the line. But if you look at Brees, he is one of those guys who can make his players better.

The Saints couldn't recover from the Bounty Gate. Their defense wasn't bad last year. But as soon as Williams was gone, that was it. Atlanta will be a contender for years. Tampa has some great pieces, but Freeman is too inconsistent. I don't know what is going to happen to Carolina. The Saints should push for the division title in 2013.

Absolutely, but thier D will have to be much, much improved from the product they put out there this year (Bounty Gate not withstanding). Even in their SB year the D lived and died by the TO and really wasn't particularly good against the run or pass.

#8 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Never wanted him in Philly. He was the head of what was essentially an organized crime syndicate in New Orleans. I don't want my honorable beloved team selling its collective soul to evil just to win football games.

#9 Footballman175

Footballman175

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,967 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Only in the NFL can you be suspended for a full year for bounty hunting and be rewarded with a contract making you the highest paid coach in the NFL. US pride :usa: