Photo
- - - - -

How many Hall of Famer's are playing right now?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Here is my list of who I think would COULD make it in. This list seems pretty freakin big for a HoF list, so who do you guys think makes it in or not? I might have left a name or two off, but I thought these guys were the best shot.

Demarcus Ware
Aaron Rodgers
Adrian Peterson
Calvin Johnson
Drew Brees
Larry Fitzgerald
Randy Moss
Brian Urlacher
Tom Brady
Ray Lewis
Peyton Manning
Ed Reed
Troy Polumalo
Tony Gonzalez
Jason Witten
Darrelle Revis
Champ Bailey
Terrell Owens (Not officially retired)
Ronde Barber

#2 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Smith has only been in the league for 2 years, needs many more seasons of top-end play to be HOF worthy.

I know a lot of Safeties and TEs don't get in but Reed, Polu, Gonzo and Witten right now all have the tenure and consistent production to get in.

#3 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Smith has only been in the league for 2 years, needs many more seasons of top-end play to be HOF worthy.

I know a lot of Safeties and TEs don't get in but Reed, Polu, Gonzo and Witten right now all have the tenure and consistent production to get in.

Cool, I added them to the list.

Though I don't think Polumalo gets in though. As much of a playmaker the guy is he is almost ALWAYS hurt it seems, and I don't think he would get in over Reed, and I don't think he was close to Dawkins. Think those will be the only two safeties from our generation that makes it in.

#4 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yikes...kind of disrespectful to everyone on that list for Aldon Smith to be on it. And no, I don't think Dawkins will get in.

#5 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Cool, I added them to the list.

Though I don't think Polumalo gets in though. As much of a playmaker the guy is he is almost ALWAYS hurt it seems, and I don't think he would get in over Reed, and I don't think he was close to Dawkins. Think those will be the only two safeties from our generation that makes it in.

In his first 6 seasons he played in 88 of a possible 96 regular season games (and multiple playoff games), missed 11 games in 09', then played in 30 of a possible 32 (plus playoffs) before missing 9 games this season.

Revis is another name you could add to the list as well.

#6 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yikes...kind of disrespectful to everyone on that list for Aldon Smith to be on it. And no, I don't think Dawkins will get in.

Can't think of any player that made it to 9 Pro Bowls and didn't get into the Hall of Fame.

In his first 6 seasons he played in 88 of a possible 96 regulkar season games (and multiple playoff games), missed 11 games in 09', then played in 30 of a possible 32 (plus playoffs) before missing 9 games this season.

Revis is another name you could add to the list as well.

Yeah I know he played in a lot of games early in his career, but it just seems as late the guy is always missing games. Obviously its just preception, and not reality for his entire career :D

#7 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Tackles Sacks INTs (10 seasons)
Polu 638 10 29
Dawk 688 17 28

Tackles Sacks INTs (11 seasons)
Reed 606 6 61
Dawk 786 18 32

His numbers are right there (other than ints with Reed but he blows him away in both tackles and sacks) and better in most cases at the same point in their careers.

#8 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Yeah I know he played in a lot of games early in his career, but it just seems as late the guy is always missing games. Obviously its just preception, and not reality for his entire career :D

Yeah it's a what have you done for me lately league but other than this season and 09' he really hasn't been what you would even remotely call injury-prone.

You need to add Revis to your list.

#9 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yeah it's a what have you done for me lately league but other than this season and 09' he really hasn't been what you would even remotely call injury-prone.

You need to add Revis to your list.

K added him.

#10 ShakeThatMonkey

ShakeThatMonkey

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,051 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 90s

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Champ Bailey possibly

#11 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Champ Bailey possibly

Good name. Added to the list!

#12 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,984 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Lance Briggs is just as worthy as Urlacher. I know Urlacher has been the face of that Bears franchise for over a decade, but Briggs' numbers stand up just as well in 3 fewer seasons.

And as much as we all hate it, Eli has two rings and two SB MVP awards playing for the biggest market in the country. He's going to get some strong consideration unless he totally falls off a cliff.

#13 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,497 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Eli Manning

Mind you, he wouldn't get in today IMO, but by the time his career is over, he'll be in.This is not a homer pick, as anyone who posts here regularly knows I'm one of his biggest critics.

#14 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

London Fletcher's resume is hall worthy. 240 straight starts and career stats that are better than Ray Lewis. He also has a superbowl ring from the Rams.

#15 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Nick Foles

#16 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Tackles Sacks INTs (10 seasons)
Polu 638 10 29
Dawk 688 17 28

Tackles Sacks INTs (11 seasons)
Reed 606 6 61
Dawk 786 18 32

His numbers are right there (other than ints with Reed but he blows him away in both tackles and sacks) and better in most cases at the same point in their careers.

I never said his numbers aren't great, I just don't think he;ll get in...not anytime soon anyway. Go take a look at the HOF list and you'll know what I'm talking about.

#17 mike030270

mike030270

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,206 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'll never get over Troy punching the ball into the endzone last year against the Pats and then saying

"Whatever is going to get me in trouble, I'm saying the opposite." after the game

#18 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,984 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I never said his numbers aren't great, I just don't think he;ll get in...not anytime soon anyway. Go take a look at the HOF list and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I think Dawkins will have a tough time getting in. Safety just isn't a position where many guys make it. I also think public perception will lean towards Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. There are only around 10 safeties in the HoF... seeing three more go in (and a possibly 4th CB/SS hybrid with Charles Woodson) from the same era is asking for a lot. I think he deserves it, but will ultimately lose out to the numbers game.

#19 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Not sure which "HOF list" you're referring to, the list of players already in, the list of retired players who have gotten consideration in the past but not enough votes, other?

#20 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Not sure which "HOF list" you're referring to, the list of players already in, the list of retired players who have gotten consideration in the past but not enough votes, other?

Really dude? Yes, by HOF list I meant the list of players already in.

#21 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Team:Vikings
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Here is my list of who I think would COULD make it in. This list seems pretty freakin big for a HoF list, so who do you guys think makes it in or not? I might have left a name or two off, but I thought these guys were the best shot.

Demarcus Ware
Aaron Rodgers
Adrian Peterson
Calvin Johnson
Drew Brees
Larry Fitzgerald
Aldon Smith
Brian Urlacher
Tom Brady
Ray Lewis
Peyton Manning
Ed Reed
Troy Polumalo
Tony Gonzalez
Jason Witten
Darrelle Revis
Champ Bailey

You've got several definite candidates listed there, including Brady, Manning, Brees, Gonzalez, and Lewis, and Ed Reed too. I'm sure some will be first-ballot entrants to the Hall. Rodgers and Peterson have a lot ahead of them, but should be elected, though if Peterson's career suddenly ends due to injury, he could end up like Terrell Davis, a nominee who has trouble getting votes.

I could see another 49ers players named Smith - Justin - as a possibility. It's far too soon to determine what Aldon Smith will end up doing, though he's been a force so far.

#22 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Really dude? Yes, by HOF list I meant the list of players already in.

Yeah "really" dud and that's what I assumed you meant but wanted to clarify before answering.

Yes, historically a lot of safeties have not been elected in the past but as the NFL has evolved into a predominately passing league over the past 2 decades, safeties who are/were triple threats (equally effective in coverage, rushing the QB and against the run) have become a far more crucial component to a team's success then they were when their role was to primarily play center field and/or support against the run and the 3 best "triple threats" of the past 2 decades (in no particular order) are Reed, Dawk and Polu.

#23 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yeah "really" dud and that's what I assumed you meant but wanted to clarify before answering.

Yes, historically a lot of safeties have not been elected in the past but as the NFL has evolved into a predominately passing league over the past 2 decades, safeties who are/were triple threats (equally effective in coverage, rushing the QB and against the run) have become a far more crucial component to a team's success then they were when their role was to primarily play center field and/or support against the run and the 3 best "triple threats" of the past 2 decades (in no particular order) are Reed, Dawk and Polu.

And since Reed and Polamalu are publicly considered 1.a and 1.b(not that I necessarily agree with that, it's just perception) from this era, they will probably be the ones who make it from this era...Dawkins will either have to wait a very long time, or he won't get in altogether. It's likely he'll end up getting in, but it'll be like 20-30 years down the road.

#24 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

And since Reed and Polamalu are publicly considered 1.a and 1.b(not that I necessarily agree with that, it's just perception) from this era, they will probably be the ones who make it from this era...Dawkins will either have to wait a very long time, or he won't get in altogether. It's likely he'll end up getting in, but it'll be like 20-30 years down the road.

Fortunately the "public" doesn't have a HOF vote but those who do consider individual production (in comparison to their peers) as the first criteria and then factor in "team" accomplishments 2nd and the reality is Dawkin's numbers are superior to Troy's accross the board (at the same point in their careers) and it's highly unlikely that Polu plays anywhere close to 16 seasons so their career stats really won't even be comparable.

Yes the Steeler's "team" accomplishements during his carrer are superior but it's not like the Bird's were bottom-feeders when Dawk was in his prime.

#25 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Fortunately the "public" doesn't have a HOF vote but those who do consider individual production (in comparison to their peers) as the first criteria and then factor in "team" accomplishments 2nd and the reality is Dawkin's numbers are superior to Troy's accross the board (at the same point in their careers) and it's highly unlikely that Polu plays anywhere close to 16 seasons so their career stats really won't even be comparable.

Yes the Steeler's "team" accomplishements during his carrer are superior but it's not like the Bird's were bottom-feeders when Dawk was in his prime.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. BTW Rodney Harrison's numbers are pretty close to Dawkins', plus he has the championships, and I don't even bother in making a case for him. I know he won't make it.

#26 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

For sure, but the total misconception (that repeatedly gets perpetuated around here, not necissarily by you but some others) that steller TEAM accomplishments is some kind of free pass to the hall couldn't possibly be further from the truth.

#27 all denver

all denver

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Team:Broncos

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

get aldon smith and revis off that list....jeesus... how embarassing.

#28 all denver

all denver

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Team:Broncos

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Add Randy Moss, Phil Dawson. Gates

#29 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

And if we are doing kickers how about Jason Hanson?

#30 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Agreed. Surely Randy Moss has to be on this list?!