Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

The new era starts with .....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

the bungled dismissal of Andy Reid

I doesn't matter who or where the leaks came from at this point. The Eagles need to stop patronizing the fanbase. Reid can't fit into Pandora's Box.

45]
Posted ImageIan Rapoport@RapSheet
The #Eagles strongly deny the report that Andy Reid has been informed of his status. Reid and Lurie will meet tomorrow.

#2 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Patronizing & insulting right down to the end. Would you really have expected anything less?

#3 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

crap like this makes you fear that maybe a change in ownership is our only real hope.

#4 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Patronizing & insulting right down to the end. Would you really have expected anything less?

It is also comical and transparent. I guess Lurie isn't as smart or savvy as I thought.

#5 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

It is also comical and transparent. I guess Lurie isn't as smart or savvy as I thought.

I came to that realization when Reid wasn't fired in 2007. ^_^

#6 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I came to that realization when Reid wasn't fired in 2007. ^_^

Must be nice being born into major wealth....

The mods already deleted a few topics saying Reid was fired......it is scary funny

#7 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Chip Kelley

#8 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Jeff Lurie was born on 3rd base with a pinch runner in place.........I hope he finds the courage to do the right thing for the Eagles.....Reid is 1/2 the equation...the GM is the other half. We'll see.

#9 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Chip Kelley

I don't know that much about Chip Kelly. That being said....
Kelly's success is going to be based upon the success of his version of the spread offense. Wouldn't he want to coach somewhere that had a better QB situation ? Carolina perhaps ?
If the Eagles hire Chip Kelly, I hope they are hiring the best coach instead of hiring someone who will make the biggest splash. I also hope that Howie isn't overly involved in the process.

#10 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Jeff Lurie was born on 3rd base with a pinch runner in place.........I hope he finds the courage to do the right thing for the Eagles.....Reid is 1/2 the equation...the GM is the other half. We'll see.

Here is a blurb from a Bob Ford article I enjoyed:

"Far more interesting, because it is far less predictable, is how Lurie thinks the football operation should be structured. We will already know what Lurie thinks about Reid's tenure, but the choices that follow the coach's dismissal will also tell us what the owner thinks about general manager Howie Roseman and the player personnel department he has assembled in the front office.

Essentially, Lurie can go one of three ways:

Hire a strong, established coach who will demand great influence and final say over the roster, relegating Roseman to a position of lesser influence.

Hire an up-and-coming NFL assistant or coordinator, or a college coach, and also hire a veteran player personnel vice president, relegating Roseman to a position of lesser influence.

Hire an up-and-coming NFL assistant or coordinator, or a college coach, and give Roseman free rein to run the player personnel department.

The identity of the coach Lurie hires, and whether he also adds a heavyweight to the player personnel department, will tell you whether Roseman has been held blameless for the recent slide that dovetails with his elevation to the general manager's office before the 2010 season.

It is possible that Roseman has skated away cleanly, even though his Junior GM Secret Draft Decoder Ring hasn't always operated properly, and even though the team he helped assemble for this season is a thin excuse for an NFL roster."

#11 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Must be nice being born into major wealth....

The mods already deleted a few topics saying Reid was fired......it is scary funny

I had my MLK "free at last" vid ready to go all week, and the secret police did away with it in a matter of minutes.

This is the U.S.A., right?

#12 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hire an up-and-coming NFL assistant or coordinator, or a college coach, and give Roseman free rein to run the player personnel department.

This is the most likely scenario, and by far the one with the greatest risk of failure.

#13 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Chip Kelley

My pick, but my fear is they go with a young guy the can control.

#14 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

This is the most likely scenario, and by far the one with the greatest risk of failure.

Why is that scenario the most likely ? (aside from being the cheapest :D,)

Isn't this scenario clearly the best option ?
Hire an up-and-coming NFL assistant or coordinator, or a college coach, and also hire a veteran player personnel vice president, relegating Roseman to a position of lesser influence.

#15 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

When was the last time "the best" was done around here? Until right now, that is. :-)

#16 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

When was the last time "the best" was done around here? Until right now, that is. :-)

Hard to imagine Lurie would allow Howie to have that much control and input over the organization and I am not trying to slight Howie in any way. The fact is that he lacks experience on an absolute and on a relative basis.

#17 Isaiah4031

Isaiah4031

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Please no to Chip Kelly. When was the last time a college coach was sucsessful with a gimic offense? Does Steve Spurrier ring a bell? I want a coach who will come in here and build a physical tough team.

#18 badmeetsevil

badmeetsevil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Someone from Seattle and or San Francisco's defensive side?

#19 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Please no to Chip Kelly. When was the last time a college coach was sucsessful with a gimic offense? Does Steve Spurrier ring a bell? I want a coach who will come in here and build a physical tough team.

The same gimick offense that New England is running, and just locked up a bye with?

#20 ckudrick

ckudrick

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Lurie may decide to keep Reid just so the media would be proven wrong. :lol:

#21 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,749 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

The same gimick offense that New England is running, and just locked up a bye with?

What??!! WTF did you just type?? NE is running a gimmick offense? LOLOLOL

Regarding the topic...........AR is fired, no he's not. He was informed of his firing on Friday, there was no meeting on Friday. Whatever. Just get this right Lurie.

#22 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

the bungled dismissal of Andy Reid

I doesn't matter who or where the leaks came from at this point. The Eagles need to stop patronizing the fanbase. Reid can't fit into Pandora's Box.

45]
Posted ImageIan Rapoport@RapSheet
The #Eagles strongly deny the report that Andy Reid has been informed of his status. Reid and Lurie will meet tomorrow.

Excellent thread CT.... the summation of Spadoro and others that there is a serious lack of leadership on the roster is spot on.... however what is not being said by the Organization is the incredible lack of leadership within the ENTIRE ORG.

What a mess... and any dignity they were trying to grant Reid up to his firing has gone out the window.

The sideshow gets uglier and uglier and the demise of this once solid Organzation is in full throttle.

#23 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Absolutely that's the best way to handle it. But Lurie is in a lot of ways a very insecure guy. I think he feels he needs a security blanket and Howie is that. I mean really... he has been treated like a son of Lurie/Banner from day one when he somehow went from Lawyer/Capologist to now the apparent VP of football operations.

Let's hope we are wrong and they start by hiring a strong Football guy who helps lead the coaching search.... but the chances of anyone but Howie leading up the football side of the Operation are 0.0

#24 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Reid is scheduled to meet with owner Jeffrey Lurie on Monday to discuss his future and an official announcement will come afterward, according to one person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because a final agreement hasn't been reached. That person says there's a chance Reid might remain with the team in some capacity.

Reid is due to make $6 million in 2013 in the final year of his contract. He said he wants to coach next year, but it's possible Lurie could persuade him to take a season off and perhaps help out in the front office in an "advisory" role.

The New Era might look a little like the old one....... :roll:

That would put the nail in MJ and Kojo's coffin....maybe mine too

#25 mikemack8

mikemack8

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

There was a time in the not so distant past that this organization was mentioned in the same breath as top organizations such as the Patriots and the Steelers. Now, we've taken over Washington's position as the punchline of the joke that is the NFC East.

#26 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Let's hope we are wrong and they start by hiring a strong Football guy who helps lead the coaching search....

Tom Donahue is that guy and it has reportedly been going on for some time already.

#27 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Here's the bottom line - we have a major ? at QB, and a lawyer as our primary "football personnel" man. What notable, accomplished coach would come to a situation like that, a situation that will almost certainly result in failure?

It is what it is at QB, but if the front office dynamic remains the same, we will be weeding through 3rd and 4th tier assistants trying to find someone to come in here. If Lurie doesn't see that now, he (and we) are going to find out the hard way.

The other possibility would be to give way too much power to a guy who's never been in the pros (Kelly), and that's just as fraught with danger.

Dammit Jeff, use your head and get someone who knows the game in here, have Roseman assist him if you must, and let's bring in a top tier assistant or a guy like O'Brien.

But right now, I'm getting ready to enjoy the proceedings at 1:00. If, as CT hinted at earlier, Lurie tells us that Reid will stay on in any f****ng capacity whatsoever, I'm done.

#28 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Here's the bottom line - we have a major ? at QB, and a lawyer as our primary "football personnel" man. What notable, accomplished coach would come to a situation like that, a situation that will almost certainly result in failure?

What notable accomplished coach is even an attractive candidate ? Saban (and I am not sure I would want him) ?

#29 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

What notable accomplished coach is even an attractive candidate ? Saban (and I am not sure I would want him) ?

Good question.

I don't necessarily want Saban, but he'd be insane to come here with this situation. Just heard that Lurie is flying to Atlanta to meet with Dirk Koetter.

To all the true believers who still worship Reid, and are weepy about his leaving, take a look at the f****ng mess he left this place in - it's an absolute shambles, and it was on his watch. His a** should have been out of here 3-5 years ago.