- - - - -

It's a new beginning.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Listening to Lurie now - c'mon Jeff, get it done.

#2 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

We know, we know..... Reid should be on the Mt. Rushmore of not only coaches, but of human beings.

Just ask the national media.

#3 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

MJ, Lurie just said Reid will be inducted into the Eagles Ring of Honor.  You should get tickets !

#4 badmeetsevil

badmeetsevil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

What do you expect him to say? LOL? Good riddance?

This is pretty standard stuff.

#5 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

He says it's "rare to not be playing for championships" - did he write this speech in 2007 when Reid should have been fired?

View Postbadmeetsevil, on 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

What do you expect him to say? LOL? Good riddance?

This is pretty standard stuff.

A sense of humor goes a long way, badmeets. And today is the day for a sense of humor!  ;)

View PostCT Eagle, on 31 December 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

MJ, Lurie just said Reid will be inducted into the Eagles Ring of Honor.  You should get tickets !

A stain on that ring of greatness. Standards are dropping everywhere these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reid not in the organization at all!!!!!!

That's what I was waiting to hear.    Get out of there, Jeff, and let's get the ball rolling!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, oh - here comes some honesty! Jeff talking about the "scattered", goofy moves.

#6 badmeetsevil

badmeetsevil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Pretty candid stuff here. I like what I am hearing but then again its all code talk.

#7 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Agreed - he is addressing the "Roseman as main guy" scenario.

Uh oh - Howie's the guy.  :nonono:

Somebody give Pocono some smelling salts!

#8 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

He says Howie is "fully accountable".

Sorry, but based on the last 3-4 years, this doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

#9 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 31 December 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

He says Howie is "fully accountable".

Sorry, but based on the last 3-4 years, this doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.
He means fully accountable when there is only a year left on your contract.

#10 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like the same setup we've always had - the coach with a lesser FO guy.   The coach will "have a lot of say", etc.   It's not as if this approach is a proven way to win championships, but Jeff still talks as if this is the "gold standard".

How about a trying a solid GM-coach structure, like most great teams have had?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smolensky is the third guy helping Lurie and Roseman?   Do these people ever leave their little cocoon of comfort????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff said he cares, feels the pain, and wants to win.   I don't know about anyone else, but I feel better now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow!!! I'm not the only guy who thinks about the Thomas Tapeh screen pass against the Saints in '06!!!!!    Jeff said he does too!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 31 December 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Sounds like the same setup we've always had - the coach with a lesser FO guy.   The coach will "have a lot of say", etc.   It's not as if this approach is a proven way to win championships, but Jeff still talks as if this is the "gold standard".

How about a trying a solid GM-coach structure, like most great teams have had?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smolensky is the third guy helping Lurie and Roseman?   Do these people ever leave their little cocoon of comfort????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff said he cares, feels the pain, and wants to win.   I don't know about anyone else, but I feel better now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow!!! I'm not the only guy who thinks about the Thomas Tapeh screen pass against the Saints in '06!!!!! Jeff said he does too!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went through pretty much the same range of emotions hearing that. I really do think he cares. I think he's a little too trusting of the people around him. Obviously you'd have to be for him to keep a guy around 14 years like he did.

Right now I'm fixated on getting the right guy in here with the hope that he will completely clean out the rest of the staff & the roster.

#12 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,721 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I appreciate what Andy has done, but it feels good to be Andy Freed!  We kept him 3 years too long.He should've been gone after 2009.  The NFCCG loss against an inferior Arizona team should've been the breaking point.

#13 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Chargers hired Ron Wolf as consultant for gm-coach search....

We have Don Smolenski and Howie Roseman   hahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahhahahhahahahhahahahah

#14 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 31 December 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Chargers hired Ron Wolf as consultant for gm-coach search....

We have Don Smolenski and Howie Roseman   hahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahhahahhahahahhahahahah

Just saw that. <_<

Some things will never change. :nonono:

#15 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostKOJO, on 31 December 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Just saw that. <_<

Some things will never change. :nonono:
Either I am missing something or I just don't get it.  Does Lurie think that Howie and Don have the knowledge and insight of a guy like Ron Wolf ?  
I can only hope there is more going on behind the scenes that we aren't aware of and that Tom Donahue is involved on our behalf.

#16 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

View Postmjkvol, on 31 December 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Agreed - he is addressing the "Roseman as main guy" scenario.

Uh oh - Howie's the guy.  :nonono:

Somebody give Pocono some smelling salts!

Don't need them MJ....kinda was expecting this...but that's ok. Howie can't hide now....no excuses...just performance.....we're all gonna know what he brings to the table real soon and I actually hope it's all the Eagles need from that office. Time will tell.

View PostCT Eagle, on 31 December 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

He means fully accountable when there is only a year left on your contract.

I thought it meant he is a full accountant........you know, being a lawyer and all....

View PostCT Eagle, on 31 December 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Either I am missing something or I just don't get it.  Does Lurie think that Howie and Don have the knowledge and insight of a guy like Ron Wolf ?  
I can only hope there is more going on behind the scenes that we aren't aware of and that Tom Donahue is involved on our behalf.

I doubt it. This is Lurie's way.

#17 PhillyPhan13

PhillyPhan13

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostPoconoDon, on 01 January 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Howie can't hide now....no excuses...just performance.....we're all gonna know what he brings to the table real soon.
This.  Everyone is poo pooing Howie.  This year's draft seems promising; which was suppposedly Howie.

i'm excited about the future.  But I'm a true believer. :)

#18 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,269 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostCaliEagle, on 31 December 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I appreciate what Andy has done, but it feels good to be Andy Freed!  We kept him 3 years too long.He should've been gone after 2009.  The NFCCG loss against an inferior Arizona team should've been the breaking point.
That goes on JJ, it was the 3rd time a team he had handled a team with ease in the reg season then his D get's torched in the NFCCG, yet 90 % of TATE swears he was a great D-Cord,....um... K

Myabe we should hire a Patriots assistant.

Never mind

#19 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 02 January 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

That goes on JJ, it was the 3rd time a team he had handled a team with ease in the reg season then his D get's torched in the NFCCG, yet 90 % of TATE swears he was a great D-Cord,....um... K

Myabe we should hire a Patriots assistant.

Never mind
Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel are available !

#20 birdsfan15

birdsfan15

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,810 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I can't believe people have bought the utter BS that Lurie spewed about Roseman as easily as they have. If he isn't responsible for anything - anything at all - before the 2012 draft, what exactly was he doing? What was the general manager doing that grants him exactly zero accountability and responsibility for the decisions this franchise has made since his hiring?

Actually... I do believe it. People have bought all of the total nonsense that this organization has sold them over the years, I don't know why it would be any different this time.

#21 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postbirdsfan15, on 02 January 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

I can't believe people have bought the utter BS that Lurie spewed about Roseman as easily as they have. If he isn't responsible for anything - anything at all - before the 2012 draft, what exactly was he doing? What was the general manager doing that grants him exactly zero accountability and responsibility for the decisions this franchise has made since his hiring?

Actually... I do believe it. People have bought all of the total nonsense that this organization has sold them over the years, I don't know why it would be any different this time.
Lurie is saying judge Howie starting 2012 from a player personnel perspective.  There is more to being a GM that judging / acquiring players.  Given Howie's inexperience, it is hard to imagine he had a big voice while Joe was there as well.  
I thought Lurie was very credible and honest.  Reid clearly had final say, and Joe had plenty of input.  It was clearly a blessing in disguise for Howie as he was more in the backround.
Lurie wants Howie to be judged from the 2012 draft and I think that is fine.  He didn't say Howie didn't do anything prior to that.  It is what it is.....maybe Howie was dealing with contacts and agents etc....who know...who cares....it is what it is

#22 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 02 January 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Lurie is saying judge Howie starting 2012 from a player personnel perspective.  There is more to being a GM that judging / acquiring players.  Given Howie's inexperience, it is hard to imagine he had a big voice while Joe was there as well.  
I thought Lurie was very credible and honest.  Reid clearly had final say, and Joe had plenty of input.  It was clearly a blessing in disguise for Howie as he was more in the backround.
Lurie wants Howie to be judged from the 2012 draft and I think that is fine.  He didn't say Howie didn't do anything prior to that.  It is what it is.....maybe Howie was dealing with contacts and agents etc....who know...who cares....it is what it is

To my knowledge, what Lurie didn't say was whether or not Howie was to be judged on the 2012 FA signings ..... He seemed to conveniently leave that out of the discussion

#23 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

View Postpatpikunas, on 02 January 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

To my knowledge, what Lurie didn't say was whether or not Howie was to be judged on the 2012 FA signings ..... He seemed to conveniently leave that out of the discussion
Well....they missed Leron Laundry who would easily be the best Safety on the roster
Ryans great trade
Bell total bust (but they had few options)

All I can say is that Howie must have been against signing Nnamdi.....such a horrible move

#24 birdsfan15

birdsfan15

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 02 January 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

If he isn't judging and acquiring players, what, as the general manager, was he doing for two whole years? They've always said that Andy had the final say. That didn't change in 2012. It is also known that Banner worked on the business side, primarily in contract negotiations, not on the player personnel side. This is all about Lurie shifting the goal posts, finding yet another scape goat, and creating an out so that he doesn't have to completely clean house and can rely on another loyal company man.

View PostCT Eagle, on 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

Well....they missed Leron Laundry who would easily be the best Safety on the roster
Ryans great trade
Bell total bust (but they had few options)

All I can say is that Howie must have been against signing Nnamdi.....such a horrible move

Yes, let's praise them for finally, after season after season of astounding failure at the linebacker position, finally acquiring a competent one.

#25 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postbirdsfan15, on 02 January 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

If he isn't judging and acquiring players, what, as the general manager, was he doing for two whole years? They've always said that Andy had the final say. That didn't change in 2012. It is also known that Banner worked on the business side, primarily in contract negotiations, not on the player personnel side. This is all about Lurie shifting the goal posts, finding yet another scape goat, and creating an out so that he doesn't have to completely clean house and can rely on another loyal company man.

Yes, let's praise them for finally, after season after season of astounding failure at the linebacker position, finally acquiring a competent one.
Howie was learning on the job.  Howie was also a contract/business guy.  The scouts, coaches, Reid, Banner, Howie, and who know who else all had a hand in the talent.  
Lurie said Howie had the best record with player evaluations (by a wide margin).  Lurie gave Howie an extension.  Clearly this was a big part of why.
WHY DO YOU THINK LURIE GAVE HOWIE AN EXTENSION ?  WAS HE AFRAID DALLAS WOULD HIRE HIM ?  We will see how things shake out and while I would have preferred a seasoned guy to head up player personnel, it isn't going to happen.  Lurie clearly wants to win very badly.  Howie clearly doesn't deserve praise...but he is now on the clock

#26 Hank_TheBody_Fraley

Hank_TheBody_Fraley

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 26,256 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Posted Image

#27 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hank....you think Lurie is allowing Howie to be a GM for financial reasons ?

#28 birdsfan15

birdsfan15

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Howie was learning on the job.  Howie was also a contract/business guy.  The scouts, coaches, Reid, Banner, Howie, and who know who else all had a hand in the talent.  
Lurie said Howie had the best record with player evaluations (by a wide margin).  Lurie gave Howie an extension.  Clearly this was a big part of why.
WHY DO YOU THINK LURIE GAVE HOWIE AN EXTENSION ?  WAS HE AFRAID DALLAS WOULD HIRE HIM ?  We will see how things shake out and while I would have preferred a seasoned guy to head up player personnel, it isn't going to happen.  Lurie clearly wants to win very badly.  Howie clearly doesn't deserve praise...but he is now on the clock

Why did Lurie give Howie an extension? Because that's the way Lurie has operated this franchise since he bought it. Have you been paying no attention at all? This organization is a living, breathing embodiment of groupthink. Lurie is all about finding "his guys" that he's comfortable with and entrusting them with everything. That's why Reid was the coach and team president for as long as he was. That's why Joe Banner, with no football experience to speak of, was exclusively in charge of negotiating contracts and allowed to let fan favorites like Trotter and Dawkins walk in disrespectful and embarrassing fashion. That's why Howard Roseman, again with no football experience to speak of, rose through the ranks until he eventually became the general manager. It's all about finding a group of company yes men who buy into the "system" and are worthy of Lurie's trust.

I also love the "learning on the job" comment about Roseman, and how you completely overlook the complete and utter absurdity of a general manager "learning on the job". Normal, well-run organizations do not operate like this.

#29 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

WHY DO YOU THINK LURIE GAVE HOWIE AN EXTENSION ?  WAS HE AFRAID DALLAS WOULD HIRE HIM ?  

My opinion is that Lurie is a pretty insecure guy and Howie provides him a link to the Banner-Reid era that makes him feel at ease.

Right now at this point in time, at least in this period of transition from Banner-Reid to the new regime, Howie is about as untouchable as it gets, regardless of the 2012 draft or whatever PR mumbo jumbo he was using at the PC.   

#30 Erie

Erie

EMB Legend

• Members
    • 10,271 posts
    • Fan Since:Jaws

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Lots of smug in this post.