Photo
- - - - -

Lurie explains reasons for Andy Reid's firing

andy schwartz csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,861 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Schwartz

Lurie explains reasons for Andy Reid's firing

December 31, 2012, 2:40 pm

Posted Image

Andy Reid's 14-year tenure as Eagles head coach officially ended Monday.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said during a press conference Monday afternoon that he made the decision to fire Reid Monday morning but had been "heavily leaning" in that direction since the Eagles' 4-8 start. He said he met with Reid on Friday, and Reid knew there was "a very good chance he would be let go."

Lurie said no interviews have been set up yet for Reid's replacement -- "We've contacted no coaches" -- and that Reid was not offered another position with the organization.

"Andy doesn't want to transition to other aspects of football operations. He's a football coach," Lurie said. "He wants to coach right now."

As for what went wrong with his coach of the last 14 years ...

"It's a great question. I don't think there's a short answer. It's a complicated one," Lurie said.

"[When] you're so close to winning a Super Bowl, at some stage you have an opportunity to think that the next move, even if it's not consistent with all of your previous moves will be the one that gives you the chance to win the Lombardi Trophy, and I think that in the last year or so, last couple of years, we've done things that have not been as consistent -- they've been more scattered in terms of decision-making.

"When you start to reach for short-term panaceas or short-term solutions that are not consistent with your culture and your football program, that's when you end up 4-12."

The 4-12 season -- described by Lurie as "embarrassing," "crushing" and "terrible" -- was due in large part to dismal draft decisions. General manager Howie Roseman recently was given a multiyear extension, and Lurie exonerated Roseman for recent draft decisions.

"I decided to streamline the whole decision-making process for the whole 2012 draft and offseason," Lurie said. "That's the first draft and offseason I hold completely Howie completely accountable for. The mistakes that were made in the 2011 draft have little or nothing to do with Howie's evaluations. I think it was important for me to own up to the mistakes that were made an understand where they were coming from, and it was awfully clear."

Lurie wouldn't name who he did hold responsible for the 2010-11 drafts -- "I want to take a much higher road than that" -- but in all likelihood it was former team president Joe Banner, who left the organization in June.

Banner eventually joined the Cleveland Browns. As for where Andy Reid will end up, Lurie expects him to end up as a coach somewhere -- and return to Philadelphia some day.

"I look forward to the day we all welcome him back and introduce him as a member of the Eagles' Hall of Fame, because that's inevitable," Lurie said.

"He's energized and excited. Someone is going to get one heck of a football coach."

(More coming ...)

Tweets from Geoff Mosher and Reuben Frank contributed to this story.

#2 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,367 posts
  • Fan Since:1952

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I honestly don't understand the intense negativity toward Howie Roseman. I would imagine since Lurie is the boss, he would have a far greater knowledge of each employees contributions to the organization than anyone from these mbs . Who base their opinions solely on emotion and personal preference for players either in F/A or draft.

#3 weko

weko

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

This illustrates why I find Lurie to be a sub par owner. He is detached from all critical decisions, except for once a year
at the end of the season. How would you let Banner make decisions on which players to draft? Lurie has made and continues
to make a fortune. He allows Reid to make his O line coach the DC without any experience coaching defense in the pros
or college. He's just disinterested in the team except for the week or two after the season when he looks at the results, then
goes back into his cocoon for the next 11 months.

#4 Ross

Ross

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

This illustrates why I find Lurie to be a sub par owner. He is detached from all critical decisions, except for once a year
at the end of the season. How would you let Banner make decisions on which players to draft? Lurie has made and continues
to make a fortune. He allows Reid to make his O line coach the DC without any experience coaching defense in the pros
or college. He's just disinterested in the team except for the week or two after the season when he looks at the results, then

Sounds like you want Jerry Jones to own the team.

Daniel Snyder had years of misery... he finally stepped back and let football people do their jobs, and what happened?

Owners dont need to be involved in anything other than hiring GMs and head coaches... all other team related decisions should be made by the people they hired to make them!

#5 Markyc9876

Markyc9876

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Uh, that's how most professional sports teams are run..... Otherwise, it's like playing fantasy football. Part of being an owner is hiring the right guys to run the team for you. I work for the state, I don't expect the governor to show up at my cube telling me what to do.

#6 InfiniteSeriesN

InfiniteSeriesN

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,354 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

so you like a boss that won't let you manage your department but keeps trying to do it for you?

F that. give me my orders and get the frak out of the way. if i need help, i'll call.

#7 weko

weko

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

When Andy wanted to name Juan the DC, Lurie should have stepped in and said no. That decision was absurd. They let Dawkins walk to Denver for a 3 year 9 million deal and Lurie had the gall to wonder how that had happened at his retirement day. Can you imagine the owner letting a hall of fame player leave then spout this kind of nonsense a few years later? Allowing our team to get smaller and smaller and smaller still and not saying anything? Many many more errors of indifference like these.

To be successful you need to be hands off and allow people to run the team, but you can't be completely detached and indifferent to the outcome. Saying you care doesn't mean squat if you repeatedly show you care only about the money rolling in and the awards received from your progressive elite peers fetting you for your social consciousness.

#8 weko

weko

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

so you like a boss that won't let you manage your department but keeps trying to do it for you?

F that. give me my orders and get the frak out of the way. if i need help, i'll call.

Andy still thinks "we're fine there" in regards to everything. In your analysis Lurie waited for the call that never came, while the building burned all around him. He seemed not to notice or care. He pops out of his cocoon for a few weeks a year this time of year then goes back in for the next 11 months. I want an owner with a pulse, someone who gives a damn about things besides money and players visiting kids in hospitals on Tuesdays. Lurie let this whole thing rot from the inside out. Jim Johnson was the reason we had out run of 5 NFC title games. That and the veteran core inherited from the Rhodes era and the simple decision to draft Donovan with the 2nd pick in the draft. Andy rode JJ's coattails. Jim should be the in the Eagles hall of fame.

Uh, that's how most professional sports teams are run..... Otherwise, it's like playing fantasy football. Part of being an owner is hiring the right guys to run the team for you. I work for the state, I don't expect the governor to show up at my cube telling me what to do.

Yes...and when the right guy has been repeatedly screwing it up, you don't wait years to fix it.

#9 weko

weko

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Look at the stories that are now coming out about Banner's time here and the completely dysfunctional situation.
Lurie allowed Banner to influence picking the players? Is that his explanation for the horrible drafts in 2010 and 2011?
Jeff has to get a grasp of the helm and fix this mess. We have to draft and play in the Steelers/Giants/Ravens mold of
taking tall, thick, strong, tough guys who love to play the game. Reid got us away from that style years ago, taking one
talentless motor midget after another, in many cases 2-3 rounds higher than their draft grades. I still can't believe Lurie thought we could win a title without a strong running game. You can throw your way to 9-7, 10-6 records in the regular season, but after wildcard weekend, when the final 8 good teams are left and the real season begins, it's always the team that controls the lines of scrimmage that wins it all. It has always been and always will be a running league when it comes to being a championship team. Those teams that rule the lines hoist trophies. Good ridance Andy Reid.

#10 Ross

Ross

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Andy still thinks "we're fine there" in regards to everything.

If you think that's what Andy told Lurie you are on crack. Andy said that to the media because he would not publicly call out anyone... in and around the Nova Care complex you can rest assured it was a different matter.

Andy rode JJ's coattails. Jim should be the in the Eagles hall of fame.

He is you ignoramus. They put him in last year... the fact that you don't know that tells us all we need to know about you.

#11 bobbyuk

bobbyuk

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,117 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

Andy still thinks "we're fine there" in regards to everything. In your analysis Lurie waited for the call that never came, while the building burned all around him. He seemed not to notice or care. He pops out of his cocoon for a few weeks a year this time of year then goes back in for the next 11 months. I want an owner with a pulse, someone who gives a damn about things besides money and players visiting kids in hospitals on Tuesdays. Lurie let this whole thing rot from the inside out. Jim Johnson was the reason we had out run of 5 NFC title games. That and the veteran core inherited from the Rhodes era and the simple decision to draft Donovan with the 2nd pick in the draft. Andy rode JJ's coattails. Jim should be the in the Eagles hall of fame.

Yes...and when the right guy has been repeatedly screwing it up, you don't wait years to fix it.

Well, if "Jim Johnson is the reason why we went to 5 NFC title games", then Jim Johnson is primarily the reason they lost 4 of them plus the SB. His defense was subpar in the 2nd half against the Rams, against the Bucs, agains tthe Panthers run game, against the Pats, and against the Cards. Plus JJ also had big say in which defensive players the Eagles drafted or signed as FAs.