Photo
- - - - -

San Fran Waives Brandon Jacobs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,049 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Disco

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Adam Schefter reports.

No biggie I suppose.

#2 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,873 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Pretty classless move on their part, right Happy? :lol:

#3 Solomon

Solomon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 27,848 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Is he that overrated Giants RB who has a big mouth?

#4 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,256 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Pretty classless move on their part, right Happy? :lol:

Completely different situation.

#5 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,570 posts
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Since he has said that he'd only play for the Giants, this may be the end of his career. Cant imagine they'd bring him back

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I could see him playing with the Packers

#7 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,774 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

What would be really funny would be if one of the NFC playoff teams claimed him and he wound up being the reason the 49ers lose in the playoffs.

#8 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,570 posts
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

What would be really funny would be if one of the NFC playoff teams claimed him and he wound up being the reason the 49ers lose in the playoffs.

:roll:

#9 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,277 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Completely different situation.

Enlighten the rest of us

There is some rule that he can't play for another team until after the SB

#10 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 57,774 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Enlighten the rest of us

Do you have a link? I don't remember that rule. I do remember Dion Sanders trying to come back though, so he could play for the Raiders in the Super Bowl but he had to go through waivers and the Chargers said that they'd claim him just so the Raiders couldn't sign him.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't recall that rule and would like to read it.

#11 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Good, the guy is a complete idiot.

#12 Passepartout

Passepartout

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,830 posts
  • Team:Redskins
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

If the guy was a cancer to the Giants, he seemed more worse to the 49ers! Good riddance!

#13 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Players claimed from waivers after the regular season ends are not assigned to their team until after the Super Bowl.

#14 hukdonfoniks

hukdonfoniks

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 32,834 posts
  • Fan Since:the sex

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

he'll find a home somewhere but he's going to be a situational player only. if scrubs like Cedric Benson can get another job, surely Jacobs can too.

#15 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 57,774 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Players claimed from waivers after the regular season ends are not assigned to their team until after the Super Bowl.

Is that new? Maybe Sanders was trying to do it before the season ended back then. That wouldn't apply to free agents though. If he's unclaimed, he's a free agent and can sign anywhere that will have him.

#16 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Is that new? Maybe Sanders was trying to do it before the season ended back then. That wouldn't apply to free agents though. If he's unclaimed, he's a free agent and can sign anywhere that will have him.

A free agent is a free agent and they can do what they want. Like when we picked up Jeff Thomason when Chad Lewis went down in 04/05. What I posted only applies to waived players.

#17 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 57,774 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

A free agent is a free agent and they can do what they want. Like when we picked up Jeff Thomason when Chad Lewis went down in 04/05. What I posted only applies to waived players.

That was exactly the situation I was thinking about when I was posting. Like I mentioned though, Sanders tried to come back to play in the Super Bowl for the Raiders. The only thing that stopped it was the Chargers claiming him on waivers. I don't remember all of the details, but if that's the rule then maybe he did it before the season ended or was just depending on clearing waivers so he could be a free agent.

#18 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

That was exactly the situation I was thinking about when I was posting. Like I mentioned though, Sanders tried to come back to play in the Super Bowl for the Raiders. The only thing that stopped it was the Chargers claiming him on waivers. I don't remember all of the details, but if that's the rule then maybe he did it before the season ended or was just depending on clearing waivers so he could be a free agent.

May be a different story if he actually clears waivers...which he probably will. I don't like waivers to be honest with you.

#19 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 57,774 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

May be a different story if he actually clears waivers...which he probably will. I don't like waivers to be honest with you.

The waiver process doesn't bother me, especially starting with the new league year. The Eagles are 4th in line...

#20 FranklinFldEBUpper

FranklinFldEBUpper

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts
  • Fan Since:10/20/68

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

It was definitely before the regular season ended. And you're right that the Chargers were the team that claimed him.

#21 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

It was definitely before the regular season ended. And you're right that the Chargers were the team that claimed him.

Jacobs can certainly be claimed. He just can't report to the team until after the SB.

#22 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 57,774 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Jacobs can certainly be claimed. He just can't report to the team until after the SB.

Does that include non-playoff teams? Say for instance the Gnats claimed him...

#23 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,256 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Enlighten the rest of us

Sure, the Eagles cut a player who was playing week in and week out, not causing any problems. They also cut the player without any warning in the middle of the season. The 49ers cut Jacobs after suspending him for the final 3 games of the regular season for conduct detriemntal to the team. Totally differnet situation and the 49ers didn't cut him until AFTER the season. I'm sorry to break it to you but you can't even compare the two situations.

#24 TenOfSwords

TenOfSwords

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,111 posts
  • Fan Since:1971

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Why the 49ers signed Jacobs in the first place when they already had Anthony Dixon is beyond me.

I wouldn't mind one bit if Jacobs came here (the Eagles) - and with Andy "Big Automatically Equals Slow" Reid no longer in the picture, it just might happen.

#25 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,049 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Does that include non-playoff teams? Say for instance the Gnats claimed him...

That's the way I understand it.

#26 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,873 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Sure, the Eagles cut a player who was playing week in and week out, not causing any problems. They also cut the player without any warning in the middle of the season. The 49ers cut Jacobs after suspending him for the final 3 games of the regular season for conduct detriemntal to the team. Totally differnet situation and the 49ers didn't cut him until AFTER the season. I'm sorry to break it to you but you can't even compare the two situations.

:lol: I'm sorry, I was unaware that you had inside information on the dynamic of the Eagles lockeroom.

Seriously though, it's been pretty well publicized that Babin was a "me first" guy and would sacrifice scheme responsibilities in order to put up sack numbers. And rather than burying Babin at the bottom of the depth chart and making him watch games from the sideline as an inactive every week, they released him so he could get playing time for another team. How is that classless again?

Don't really know why I'm engaging you because you're obviously fishing, but I do find your explanations humorous.

#27 Gmen2005

Gmen2005

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Not surprised. He hasn't been a good running back in years. I hope Reese stays away from him, I don't want him anywhere near the Giants.

#28 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,873 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Why the 49ers signed Jacobs in the first place when they already had Anthony Dixon is beyond me.

I wouldn't mind one bit if Jacobs came here (the Eagles) - and with Andy "Big Automatically Equals Slow" Reid no longer in the picture, it just might happen.

Someone should have gotten you a calendar for Christmas. It's 2013.

#29 BlackPooL

BlackPooL

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,002 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Knew you'd have that logic.

Fact is the Eagles waived a guy, and he caught on in a couple days somewhere. No harm, no foul. He was waived for under performing, and was believed to have an attitude problem, possibly unwilling to reduce his role for other players to get increased opportunities. Somewhat understanding not wanting to give up his job for others, but handle it professionally. Given his continued bad mouthing of the Eagles after he's left, as recent as a week ago or so I think the belief of his bad attitude has been validated.

The 49ers suspended a guy, only to waive him upon return, once he wouldn't be able to catch on anywhere. Reminds me of the other year, when they cut Braylon Edwards IIRC on a Friday or so before Week 17's game for no real apparent reason. He'd been limited that year from what I recall, but why not just let him end the season on the roster?

None out the situations are all that "classy", but if one isn't, then neither is the other. Different situations, but a case of "Same ****, different pile."

#30 IggleWalt

IggleWalt

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Seriously? At one point in time I would have agreed with you but this is not that point in time.