Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voodoochile75

San Fran Waives Brandon Jacobs

31 posts in this topic

Since he has said that he'd only play for the Giants, this may be the end of his career. Cant imagine they'd bring him back

What would be really funny would be if one of the NFC playoff teams claimed him and he wound up being the reason the 49ers lose in the playoffs.

What would be really funny would be if one of the NFC playoff teams claimed him and he wound up being the reason the 49ers lose in the playoffs.

:roll:

Completely different situation.

Enlighten the rest of us

There is some rule that he can't play for another team until after the SB

Enlighten the rest of us

Do you have a link? I don't remember that rule. I do remember Dion Sanders trying to come back though, so he could play for the Raiders in the Super Bowl but he had to go through waivers and the Chargers said that they'd claim him just so the Raiders couldn't sign him.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't recall that rule and would like to read it.

If the guy was a cancer to the Giants, he seemed more worse to the 49ers! Good riddance!

Players claimed from waivers after the regular season ends are not assigned to their team until after the Super Bowl.

he'll find a home somewhere but he's going to be a situational player only. if scrubs like Cedric Benson can get another job, surely Jacobs can too.

Players claimed from waivers after the regular season ends are not assigned to their team until after the Super Bowl.

Is that new? Maybe Sanders was trying to do it before the season ended back then. That wouldn't apply to free agents though. If he's unclaimed, he's a free agent and can sign anywhere that will have him.

Is that new? Maybe Sanders was trying to do it before the season ended back then. That wouldn't apply to free agents though. If he's unclaimed, he's a free agent and can sign anywhere that will have him.

A free agent is a free agent and they can do what they want. Like when we picked up Jeff Thomason when Chad Lewis went down in 04/05. What I posted only applies to waived players.

A free agent is a free agent and they can do what they want. Like when we picked up Jeff Thomason when Chad Lewis went down in 04/05. What I posted only applies to waived players.

That was exactly the situation I was thinking about when I was posting. Like I mentioned though, Sanders tried to come back to play in the Super Bowl for the Raiders. The only thing that stopped it was the Chargers claiming him on waivers. I don't remember all of the details, but if that's the rule then maybe he did it before the season ended or was just depending on clearing waivers so he could be a free agent.

That was exactly the situation I was thinking about when I was posting. Like I mentioned though, Sanders tried to come back to play in the Super Bowl for the Raiders. The only thing that stopped it was the Chargers claiming him on waivers. I don't remember all of the details, but if that's the rule then maybe he did it before the season ended or was just depending on clearing waivers so he could be a free agent.

May be a different story if he actually clears waivers...which he probably will. I don't like waivers to be honest with you.

May be a different story if he actually clears waivers...which he probably will. I don't like waivers to be honest with you.

The waiver process doesn't bother me, especially starting with the new league year. The Eagles are 4th in line...

It was definitely before the regular season ended. And you're right that the Chargers were the team that claimed him.

It was definitely before the regular season ended. And you're right that the Chargers were the team that claimed him.

Jacobs can certainly be claimed. He just can't report to the team until after the SB.

Jacobs can certainly be claimed. He just can't report to the team until after the SB.

Does that include non-playoff teams? Say for instance the Gnats claimed him...

Enlighten the rest of us

Sure, the Eagles cut a player who was playing week in and week out, not causing any problems. They also cut the player without any warning in the middle of the season. The 49ers cut Jacobs after suspending him for the final 3 games of the regular season for conduct detriemntal to the team. Totally differnet situation and the 49ers didn't cut him until AFTER the season. I'm sorry to break it to you but you can't even compare the two situations.

Why the 49ers signed Jacobs in the first place when they already had Anthony Dixon is beyond me.

I wouldn't mind one bit if Jacobs came here (the Eagles) - and with Andy "Big Automatically Equals Slow" Reid no longer in the picture, it just might happen.

Does that include non-playoff teams? Say for instance the Gnats claimed him...

That's the way I understand it.