Photo
- - - - -

Altering the Rooney Rule

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 LA_Eagle_Fan

LA_Eagle_Fan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,824 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Every offseason, the Rooney Rule comes into effect for teams searching for a new head coach (this year, it's going to apply to the Eagles as well). Now, unlike many fans, I do agree with the existence of such a rule. A few years ago, during an SNF broadcast, Bob Costas brought up Mike Tomlin as an example of how the rule does benefit the league (Tomlin received zero offers from college teams where the rule does not exist and wound up winning a Super Bowl with Pittsburgh).

To not make it seem like minority candidates are being given "token" interviews though (and we know some of them are), I think there should be two exceptions to the rule:

1) If a team only interviews and hires one candidate, the rule shouldn't apply. Chances are, if a team does that, they had their eyes set on that one guy all along and weren't in the mood to even look at anyone else. Think Detroit in 2003: the only reason they dumped Marty Mornhinweg was because Steve Mariucci was available, so they hired him without a second thought and got penalized by the Rooney Rule.

2) Instant internal promotion. The 49ers did it with Mike Singletary a few years ago with no hassle, but when the Cowboys wanted to do the same with Jason Garrett, they couldn't without breaking this rule. If a team is already set to promote from within, they should be exempt from this rule.

Thoughts?

#2 Excel

Excel

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Personally, I think it's a little degrading. I can see this maybe in the 70s, but now? There are a lot of black coaches in the league that are more than qualified to be a head coach, and I think the owners know this by now. By the time 2025 comes around whites will be the minority. They gonna have a Rush Limbaugh rule?

#3 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Keep the rule.....the NFL has a long way to go ....i mean look at the NBA ....they fire black and white coaches all the time...nobody really cares ...cuz they also hire black and white coaches all the time....look at college football...only one black head coach ever rehired...there is alot racism in football in general....its like they make sure hiring a black coach is a big deal....which shouldnt be...if there was equal hirings to begin with.

#4 Excel

Excel

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Keep the rule.....the NFL has a long way to go ....i mean look at the NBA ....they fire black and white coaches all the time...nobody really cares ...cuz they also hire black and white coaches all the time....look at college football...only one black head coach ever rehired...there is alot racism in football in general....its like they make sure hiring a black coach is a big deal....which shouldnt be...if there was equal hirings to begin with.

You point to the NBA as a success. The NBA does not have anything mandating you to interview a minority before you can hire your coach of preference. And I agree with the NBA.

#5 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

You point to the NBA as a success. The NBA does not have anything mandating you to interview a minority before you can hire your coach of preference. And I agree with the NBA.

Well if the NFL hires like the NBA there won't be a rooney rule...the fact is that they don't ..too many politics involve with hiring in the NFL and college football

#6 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

And you think because teams are "forced" to interview a minority candidate that they will feel forced to hire him? If the owner is a racist he isn't going to hire a minority regardless.

#7 CountBlah

CountBlah

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,476 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Two very good exceptions Those are the two exceptions I have mentioned a couple times in the past.

The rule itself on the surface seems really bad, in this day and age, But it has benefitted black coaches in giving them experience in the process and has given them exposure where they would simply not have gotten it in the past.

The joke part of the process comes when it's applied to the two situations described in the OP.

The eagles HC search is a good example of where it is NOT a sham.

#8 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,497 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I find the whole process to be degrading and humiliating. If I'm looking to hire someone, and I have my sights set on the man/woman that I want to hire, the fact that I have to waste my time, and infinitely worse someone elses time, interviewing someone I wont be hiring, is a slap in the face to all involved. We'll never get beyond the racist bull**** that still permeates our society as long as ish like this continues. We're all human beings. The fact that owners are required to give a conciliatory interview, for no other reason than skin color, is embarrassing. All it does is feed into the racism, and stands as a constant reminder that it's still alive and well in 2013.

#9 eagle45

eagle45

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 31,187 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I think teams should be forced to bring one white CB to training camp every year.

#10 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,663 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I understand the purpose of the Rooney Rule but if you think about it, it's a little counterproductive. There are some qualified coaches out there but they'd only be brought in just to satisfy the requirement and it turns into a farce.

#11 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 30,243 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

that's because basketball is viewed as an inner-city black sport. I think the OP has some good ideas for revisions. And hiring a coach because he is black is the same level or racism as not hiring a coach because he's black.

#12 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

that's because basketball is viewed as an inner-city black sport. I think the OP has some good ideas for revisions. And hiring a coach because he is black is the same level or racism as not hiring a coach because he's black.

Probably the dumbest comment so far......who cares if its an inner city black sport....only in america would u hear stupid comments like this....basketball is an american sport period....where u place race upon it ...that shows your dimwitted mentality.

#13 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,855 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I think at this point the League would be better off letting the media act as a watchdog than to have a rule. Now, with the internet and TV, the media has more power than ever before. I think the League should constantly remind organizations to seek out the best coaches regardless of color, but I think the Rooney Rule doesn't prevent discrimination at all. If I were a candidate and I felt that someone was just interviewing me because of my skin color, I would be more offended than if I knew that they actually wanted to interview me because they felt I was qualified.

#14 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I find the whole process to be degrading and humiliating. If I'm looking to hire someone, and I have my sights set on the man/woman that I want to hire, the fact that I have to waste my time, and infinitely worse someone elses time, interviewing someone I wont be hiring, is a slap in the face to all involved. We'll never get beyond the racist bull**** that still permeates our society as long as ish like this continues. We're all human beings. The fact that owners are required to give a conciliatory interview, for no other reason than skin color, is embarrassing. All it does is feed into the racism, and stands as a constant reminder that it's still alive and well in 2013.

What is embarrassing is that we have to go thru this to give minority a shot.....you have a sport that is 67% black....yet you don't see 20% of the coaching represented....the culture needed to be change....the culture of only white coaches can win the superbowl and only white pocket passers can win the superbowl.....these mentality needed to be change...and its gradually happening ...after we make that progress then we can get rid of the rule.....this is america afterall no matter if its 2013 or 1960

#15 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,855 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I would be curious to know the true opinions of black coaches who have been interviewed since the Rooney Rule took effect. Granted, they probably wouldn't want to talk about it now because they are still in the League and wouldn't want to face any consequences for talking about it. But, when some them retire, it would be interesting to hear if they felt they knew when they were being legitimately interviewed vs. when they were just being interviewed to satisfy the rule.

#16 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

What is embarrassing is that we have to go thru this to give minority a shot.....you have a sport that is 67% black....yet you don't see 20% of the coaching represented....the culture needed to be change....the culture of only white coaches can win the superbowl and only white pocket passers can win the superbowl.....these mentality needed to be change...and its gradually happening ...after we make that progress then we can get rid of the rule.....this is america afterall no matter if its 2013 or 1960

Blacks constitute 13% of the United States population. Regardless of how many blacks play the sport should have no bearing on what percentage should coach the sport. Just because someone plays a sport certainly doesn't mean that they can coach the sport, so those figures have nothing to do with one another. Why aren't their rules like this for predominately black sports, and having white athletes have a fair shot at making the team, or a certain position? Race shouldn't qualify you for anything, your ability to play/coach that sport should be the only qualifier.

Sadly, black coaches were oppressed for many years. For about the past 15-20 years they have been given IMO pretty close to equal opportunity as white coaches have. In the NFL there has been a ton of black coaches (not just head coaches, but position and coordinators). They have finally been able to gain the much needed experience over the years, and have earned their ability to become a head coach in the NFL. In today's NFL I don't think there is even a need for this rule. The rule was fine for getting black coaches exposure many years ago, but I think the league as a whole has overcome the whole racial divide that was prevalent many years ago.

#17 matchew88

matchew88

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,331 posts
  • Fan Since:Lift Off

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

There should be a white running back rule then- you have to have at least 1 white running back on the roster. There should be more equality in these positions

/sarcasm

#18 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Blacks constitute 13% of the United States population. Regardless of how many blacks play the sport should have no bearing on what percentage should coach the sport. Just because someone plays a sport certainly doesn't mean that they can coach the sport, so those figures have nothing to do with one another. Why aren't their rules like this for predominately black sports, and having white athletes have a fair shot at making the team, or a certain position? Race shouldn't qualify you for anything, your ability to play/coach that sport should be the only qualifier.

Sadly, black coaches were oppressed for many years. For about the past 15-20 years they have been given IMO pretty close to equal opportunity as white coaches have. In the NFL there has been a ton of black coaches (not just head coaches, but position and coordinators). They have finally been able to gain the much needed experience over the years, and have earned their ability to become a head coach in the NFL. In today's NFL I don't think there is even a need for this rule. The rule was fine for getting black coaches exposure many years ago, but I think the league as a whole has overcome the whole racial divide that was prevalent many years ago.

Who cares if blacks represent 13% of the united states.....they were in this country even before the usa was a country....they shouldn't be viewed just as another minority (latinos, asians)....

Its not the % that matters its the culture....the same culture that finally let jackie robinson into baseball in the 40s....paving ways for others to follow....if we can do that to players we can do that to coaches.....and general managers and such.

#19 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Who cares if blacks represent 13% of the united states.....they were in this country even before the usa was a country....they shouldn't be viewed just as another minority (latinos, asians)....

Its not the % that matters its the culture....the same culture that finally let jackie robinson into baseball in the 40s....paving ways for others to follow....if we can do that to players we can do that to coaches.....and general managers and such.

My point is that 13% of this country is made up of blacks. If there is a profession where blacks make up less than 13% of it you can make a case that racism could be a culprit. There should be no circumstance where a black person should get any sort of special treatment just because they are black. That in itself is racism if that was the case. This isn't the 1950's, this is 2013. There are countless laws that guard against these things. As long as there is 4-5 black head coaches then there is no way that you can claim any sort of oppression against blacks since 4-5 head coaching jobs is about 13% of the total available positions.

In that second statement you made, again this isn't the 1940's. There has been probably HUNDREDS of black coaches in the NFL. I don't see where, in today's game, that you feel blacks are being 'kept out' of positions of power?

#20 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

My point is that 13% of this country is made up of blacks. If there is a profession where blacks make up less than 13% of it you can make a case that racism could be a culprit. There should be no circumstance where a black person should get any sort of special treatment just because they are black. That in itself is racism if that was the case. This isn't the 1950's, this is 2013. There are countless laws that guard against these things. As long as there is 4-5 black head coaches then there is no way that you can claim any sort of oppression against blacks since 4-5 head coaching jobs is about 13% of the total available positions.

In that second statement you made, again this isn't the 1940's. There has been probably HUNDREDS of black coaches in the NFL. I don't see where, in today's game, that you feel blacks are being 'kept out' of positions of power?

You are using % to limited the amount of black coaches.....if you use that logic then there should be a quota in the NFL because blacks only make up 13% of the population....the NFL didnt hire a black head coach till al davis hired art shell in 1990....before then in the NBA bill russell was the coach of the celtics in 60s....k.c jones coached larry bird to nba titles in the 80s....the whole point is that...the NFL make sure its a big deal to hire a black coach...because they are still filled with the mindset that blacks can't coach....remember what L.A dodgers general manager al campanis said about blacks managing a team....some of these old white dudes still run an NFL team till today....that is the mindset i am talking about........if the NFL didnt make it a big deal...it won't be a big deal today

#21 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

#22 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 30,243 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Probably the dumbest comment so far......who cares if its an inner city black sport....only in america would u hear stupid comments like this....basketball is an american sport period....where u place race upon it ...that shows your dimwitted mentality.

obviously you care because you got so offended. I'm talking about perception here, pal. And if you don't think the rest of the world is racist against people of color obviously you haven't traveled around.

#23 christsmith99

christsmith99

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts
  • Fan Since:forever

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

It is a bad rule and should be gone immediately

#24 christsmith99

christsmith99

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Maybe, just maybe, non minorities are better at coaching and minorities are better at playing the game

#25 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4XUbENGaiY

What does one bigot have to do with anything? I can show a video of some dumb black guy saying stupid things.

#26 RedZoneD25

RedZoneD25

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think the Rooney Rule is insulting to minorities, because the question that a minority coach now has in their head for the duration of this rule is: a) Am I getting interviewed because I'm a great option to lead a team? or b) Am I the token guy and wasting my time?

For perspective's sake, I'm white, but ideally the skin color would be a non-factor in comparison to the ability to achieve goals with confidence and the resiliency to fall back on should issues arise. Maybe I'm just naïve and still living in the ideal concept of human progression but it bugs me that as a country we have yet to truly move past this issue, which extends to the NFL via the Rooney Rule.

I am in full agreement with the mindset that a team should not be forced to have a pity interview (which is how I feel the rule comes across) if they have a decisive target in mind for a job. If he's white, he's white. If he's not, he's not. If you make decisions in any phase of life with that little research or effort, you've already lost anyway.

#27 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Maybe, just maybe, non minorities are better at coaching and minorities are better at playing the game

Comments like this ..is why the rooney rule must be kept

What does one bigot have to do with anything? I can show a video of some dumb black guy saying stupid things.

You are too daft to know the point of the video.....

#28 christsmith99

christsmith99

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Comments like this ..is why the rooney rule must be kept

You are too daft to know the point of the video.....

So, your ok with minorities being the major percentage of players but in turn don't like them being a less percentage of coaching?

Pot meet kettle

#29 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

So, your ok with minorities being the major percentage of players but in turn don't like them being a less percentage of coaching?

Pot meet kettle

I don't think you are very bright

#30 christsmith99

christsmith99

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I don't think you are very bright

Nice comeback......answer the question or are you having trouble with your two faces?