Photo

[Spadaro] Taking A Look At The QB Picture

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
130 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,871 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Michael Vick is uncertain about his future. Nick Foles steps into his first NFL offseason. Trent Edwards just want to improve and stay on the team. What is the picture at quarterback here? ...

View the full article

#2 rastamole

rastamole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Just draft some lineman to help Foles out and it will make life easier for the kid

#3 rastamole

rastamole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Oh and Run the ball with the RB's we have (teach them to hold on to the ball though), grab some lineman and get an "OK" defense and we will compete. The D the past couple of years really were bad so help the O out with a D!

#4 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Vick is most likely going. Most of you should be happy that's what you wanted. Change is good. He will do fine in another city.

Foles is a question mark. I don't think he is good enough to be the Eagles starter next year and they should be looking for a better QB. He didn't prove himself in all the games he started. Only 1 win. Winning teams and winning fans would not be satisfied with that performance. He will need more time to improve.

Trent Edwards should stay as the backup QB. He has experience and he isn't expensive.

Choose a Coach 1st. Choose his supporting coaches. Choose a QB that fits into the "new" system.

Need a better defense NOW whille we work on pulling the other pieces together. We won't get it all done in one off season. With a better defense we will be more competitive even if we struggle to score points initially next season.

#5 GRAYEAGLEFAN

GRAYEAGLEFAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

there is only one head coach I would love to see here . that coaches name is jay gruden ( not john ) . he was a formidible in the arena football and won championships there . he has nfl experience also . he is currently a coordinator with the bengals . A very good one . would be just the guy to turn our ballclub around .

#6 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

New Hc is going to decide what to do with QB....Personally I hope we stick with Nick Foles give him a shot and hire a coach that can help develope him

#7 DebtFreeExpress.com

DebtFreeExpress.com

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

You can't fairly judge Foles playing behind a full line of second string linemen. I look forward to seeing him go behind the number ones.

#8 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm with Canada on this one for the most part. Become a dominant D. I'm not investing everything in Foles for this franchise(if I made the call). They already invested so many snaps to this kid. I'm not declaring him a bust. Everything I do moving forward isn't going to revolve around him for sure though. The team has to rebuild. So many new pieces are going to have to be put in place if the team hires most of the coaching candidates out there. I'm going for the guy whom is best for this franchise not Foles. Maybe both are the same and that would be nice.

#9 flyineagle6477

flyineagle6477

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think we should get Kirk Cousins that is all..

#10 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

if we waste the 4th pick on an linemen I will be ticked. No point having a great/perfect line if your defense is giving up both long and short drives for touchdowns. Unless you guys like having teams score 40 points on you.

#11 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Florida State's EJ Manuel is sure making a case for himself tonight. He should really excel at the combine as well if he goes.

#12 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

I do beleive the Eagles should start with the defense fix it in the draft as best you can. I can't stand an offense that keeps going 3 & out like we had this year under Vic. Nick Foles did a lot of good as a rookie. He did better than McNabb & others. Check & see what others are saying about him & also with in the Eagles organization. Will he do it? I will see in 2013. Do we waste a 1st round on a QB? Some people are under the impression in has to a 1st round pick on a QB for him to be a franchise QB. What happened to the Cleveland Browns with all the 1st round QB's they had & they are still looking for one. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick & look what he is still doing.To me it seems the mind set of the Eagle fans is he has to be a running QB like Vick or Cunningham or even McNabb when he first became QB. I would like to see a pocket passer for a change.
This is great we can talk (write) about football with all the other team fans not on the Eagles Web.

#13 Weapon~X

Weapon~X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Look I believe we should go after a QB.. Get rid of Vick for any possible draft picks and send a 3rd rounder to San Fran for Alex Smith.. I bet he'll be on the market after the Broncos beat them in the superbowl.. And also if Taylor Bray from Tenn. or Aaron Murry from Georgia are still undrafted early in the 2nd,, TAKE THEM

#14 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Weapon~X I believe Kaepernick is the 49's QB now. He was a 2nd round draft pick in 2011 & now the starter. I don't know if Alex Smith was hurt or benched for the rookie.

#15 flyineagle6477

flyineagle6477

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

smith will be in yet another system that might not work out just trade vick then whatever pick we get should be packaged for kirk cousins who should be a starter in this league.

#16 birdcrazy1

birdcrazy1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

No use speculating on draft or QB or anything else. That will be up to the new coaching regime. But I disagree with one poster in here. Absolutely take a O lineman with the first pick. A tackle.

#17 darksnake1

darksnake1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Teams alot of times take QB's early in the first rd. My point im trying to make is why take a chance on a qb with our first pick when we dont even know if that qb will work out and we have so many other needs. We really havent given foles a chance. I mean broken line, in most games our best weapons were hurt and not playing: desean, mccoy, celek. I mean thats just not fair. Let him play one season from start to finish with a healthy team and then we can judge him. If we fail then we most likely will have another top ten pick and be in position for top ranked QB...

#18 Thomas Jackson

Thomas Jackson

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Wow, this is one of Spuds' deepest articles, because there are so many questions imbedded within the questions...

You almost have to go with the premise that Vick is gone...

OK, that leaves us with Foles...

Now you have to decide if you want Foles to be a game-manager type like Trent Dilfer was for the Ravens in 2000...or if you want him to become a gunslinger-type difference maker like Joe Flacco...

Once you make that decision, you can proceed to the next set of variables...

My head hurts just thinking of all the variables the Eagles front office has to process on this one, especially going into the Draft or considering trade options...

#19 slorck

slorck

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Fan Since:1959

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

The OL line will be fine this season with the return of Herremans and Peters. I think we, or the Eagles, should go defense. Foles has shown he can take the offense down-field. At least a couple of those loses under Foles could have been wins with a better defensive effort. Teams ran and passed up and down the field at will with the porous DL, LBs, and DBs.Therefore, I'd like to see them draft Utah DT Star Lotulelei
The guys a powerful stud at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds. Quick and explosive off the ball at the snap. and is said to be a "powerful penetrator with the capacity to walk O Linemen into the lap of the QB". Also, I read that " Most opponents are overwhelmed by Lotulelei's brute strength and power, resulting in consistent penetration into the backfield against the run." And, finally, "Lotulelei's natural strength and power allow him to collapse the pocket from up the gut, forcing quarterbacks to move from their sweet spots. Lotulelei would be hard-pressed to develop into a double-digit sack artist from the interior, but his ability to press the pocket and alter the quarterback's timing is a valuable trait that coaches appreciate in the middle of a defense." Man, that sounds too good to pass up. If we don't get him, Detroit will. Lotulelei may go as high as number one and I haven't studied the needs of those teams in front of the Eagles but, if he's available...

#20 Soulphus

Soulphus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Foles is our best bet thus far. I still think it would be stupid not to draft and/or trade for a new QB.

#21 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,152 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

I agree that we need to fix the defense. Teams were running all over us with ease. We also need better special teams players. The opposition started close to mid field all season long. No wonder they had such an easy time scoring. They didn't have to go the entire length of the field like we did all the time. Those to things alone will make it easier for Foles to win games. His detractors like to point out he only won 1 game. But they fail to acknowledge the reasons he only won one...and they are the issues I just mentioned for starters. Yes, he made some poor decisions that cost him some scoring opportunites. But inspite of the disadvantage he was playing under he showed that he understands the game at this level. He moved the ball quite effortlessly down the field for the most part. Penalties and mistakes were the real culprit of his being unable to put up more than one W. Some were his and some were his team mates. As Howie pointed out most rookies show vast improvement their second season. I have no doubt that Foles is the type of guy who will do whatever it takes to minimize his mistakes to improve his mechanics to become a star QB for us. As for the Georgia QB Murrya he looks like a good prospect. I watched that game yesterday and it was mentioned that he hasn't declared. With his dad being treated for Cancer, there is an uncertainty wether he will come out this year. That in all likely hood he will want to return for his senior year so that he can be close to his family while his dad is going through Chemo treaments. But I did like what I saw of the kid.

#22 Tommy J

Tommy J

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Roll with Foles as our projected starter, and draft a guy in round 2-4 depeding on who is available. I don't like any of these QBs with #4 overall pick. I agree that EJ Manuel from FSU has been improving in a big way, I'd love to grab him in the draft and let the best man play. However, this is all chatter until we get a coach. Truth be told, we need to bring in a guy who has a system and draft guys that fit into that system. Stop getting guys who we like who or who look good...they must fit the system

#23 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Options open on Vick? Come on Spuds. Vick can't remain here. Can you please take off your green colored glasses and make an honest assessment for once??? VICK STINKS. VICK IS BRUTAL -- and there is NO way you can bring him back here. It was a nice try and Reid paid the price for a terrible, terrible decision to go with Vick. He's not starting. He can't come off the bench.

And how exactly is Vick the bigger "talent"? What's the bases for that comment? Can Vick read a defense? Um no. Can Vick check down to the hot receiver? Um - NO. Can Vick change the protection at the line of scrimmage? Still a no. I know -- can Vick protect the ball? Wholly poop - we a "NO" a crossed the board Spuds. Where exactly is Vick the bigger talent?

I get that in winter you have to fill this space as much as possible, which isn't easy to do, but stop with the garbage stuff. I'd rather read about the kicker. What's next - an article on how great and deep the defensive line is? I think you said in spring of 2012 it was the best the Eagles ever fielded(with respect to RW of course).

#24 Wupper

Wupper

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Our problems were deeper than what showed on the field. We had major internal problems.
Get a good HC, fix the locker room mentality, and i believe the team, with Foles at the helm will excel in 2013.
Do not waste a pick on QB!!!

#25 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

About the head coach -- IF they hire Josh McDaniels (rumored to have interest in), I will take a break(not leave) from being an Eagles Fan. I'll return once he's fired. That should only take about 6 games into the season. He destroyed every team he's been associated with including the Rams. He's only successful under Belli-cheater, that's where he belongs(riding someone elses success). He's failed -- FAILED -- every where else he has been.

#26 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

I can't imagine the pains/burden of hiring a new head coach. That Cinci DC needs a look I'm sure. Best of luck Lurie -- the Eagles future depends on it.

#27 disgustedfan25

disgustedfan25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

The agony of waiting!!!! Please be true to your words Lurie and don't pick the hot name! Pick the coach that is right for the situation! And no, the coach doesn't have to like Foles, Vick or TE. Bottom line is the new HC will go with who HE wants. If the FO says the coach has to work with Foles the Iggles could lose out on some of the bright new minds by pushing them away! Do it right Lurie! We're all counting on you!

#28 disgustedfan25

disgustedfan25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Would I like the new HC to give Foles a shot? Of course. There looked to be some real promise in him. But the bottom line, again, is the new HC will go with who HE wants. This definitely an exciting time to be an Eagles fan and also a nerve racking one!

#29 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Excited about what? Not knowing anything and also knowing that you could be looking at a 3-5 year rebuilding process? Or a 15 year rebuilding process like the redskins were in.

#30 Hughes22

Hughes22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I hate vick bashers, lets blame vick and make up stuff all the time. "he cant come from behind and win" well 3 of the eagles wins this year vick had the game winning drive for your information. and "he is a sick man that should still be in jail" well where is the hate towards people like Donte' stallworth who did less time for actually killing a MAN, DRUNK DRIVING! and if you listen to any press interviews at all vick always takes blame for what he does annd the team. he is vastly more talented than foles...no one was bashing him when he took the job from Kolb and set Eagles season and franchise records! so stop hating, vick deserves some blame but dont make him the scape goat there is a lot worse problems o the birds that vicks play.

and lets not jump for joy just yet on foles, the same situation when kolb was "the savior" everyone is high on