Photo

[News] O'Brien To Stay At Penn State

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,167 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien became a hot NFL head coach candidate after leading the Nittany Lions to an 8-4 record in his first year on the job despite devastating penalties against the program.

View the full article

#2 darksnake1

darksnake1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

doug marone is an interesting candidate. Id take him over chip kelley bc i dont like the way chip uses his qb. Though i do like his no huddle

#3 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

O'Brian "interviews" with the Browns and Eagles, gets no offers from either and ends up with a $1.3 million dollar raise from a billionaire booster and forces changes he wants in the athletic department at Penn State. Life is grand for the hoodies disciple.

What a strange series of events for O'Brian making statements that he's not going to leave the kids at PSU that made the commitment to him yet openly going out and "interviewing" or at least talking to NFL teams then dismissing those teams or others and quickly going back to PSU as if he never intended to leave. Of couse I don't speak "hoody" so who knows what it all means. Maybe someone from the north east can explain it.

#4 birdcrazy1

birdcrazy1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Foles would not work in a Chip Kelly scheme...but Mike Vick would..

#5 OldBill1934

OldBill1934

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Fan Since:1948

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Birdy, Haven't you watched Vick play the last couple of years?

#6 johnhoward

johnhoward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Good, now look at Chip Kelly

#7 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

gentlemen ..all opinions are great..but lets think about our team and best available. so we want some one who will be more vocal and understand the fan base. passionate and can evaluate talent. some one who will command respect with experience in the nfl at some degree. who does that leave from the names we heard? no college coaches

well lovie smith - might get a look because he did does value defense, and knows what to look for in the cover 2 scheme he likes. offensively he knows what to do with speedy guys and knows he needs a big wr target. would def help shady out.

the falcons trio, -basically experience and a set in place staff

jon gruden- a bit arrogant, can evaluate talent and positions well, a few years away from coaching, but thats ok, will be vocal and passionate.

mccoy- ppl talk about oh he had to do nothing cause he had manning...well we got foles , so if he can groom him into the same general...why not????

cowher- maybe too long away from the game

mike singltary - now i might be for this guy in the mix or even as d coordinator... u know why?? he will tell a player he aint shhhhhh, and tell his momma he aint shhhhhh if that player doesnt perform well. some guys on the team need it.

now im sure the eagles have a target we know nothing about, and thats who will get the job. i think i want lovie smith..cause he will def try to emulate the bears defense, he knows to look look for those charles tillman types. d jax is better than hester in the receiving game. mccoy will be the forte, he will prob look to get dwayne bowe to be his marshall, foles will be better than cutler. ryans his urlacher. its seems like a decent fit

#8 pace7525

pace7525

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

i personally think lovie smith would be a bad candidate becuase he is quiet. He is way too layed bqack for this team, this media, the fans, etc. We got pissed about andy not answering our questions, and yet smith would do less in terms of informing the public, and keepig the players in line. That is wy lance briggs had that whole trade demand issue. Smith couldnt control him. I think we need either jon or jay gruden on our staff, as well as the oregon coach chip kelly who is innovative and creative in terms of his scheme, having both a 34-4 and a 4-3 defense avalable at all times. He also likes big tacksles and more mobile guards on the o-line which is what we have. He woud also have casey matthews at his disposal. He used him in various positions in college and might be able to make a great role player out of the kid

#9 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

dub sel....one of the falcons dudes just resigned, and imo, we don't get any of the other 2 guys. We'll end up hiring someone b4 ATL gets knocked out of the playoffs, and b4 those guys commit to anyone. Right now they are focused on winning a SB in ATL.

Lovie, maybe. I'd like to see him as HC with Holmgren as OC...but that prolly won't happen. If we get Lovie, we damn sure better get serious upgrade from Marty as OC.

Gruden is stubborn, arrogant, and got run out of TB with everyone hating him. I largely blame his love affair with overusing Cadillac. Dude was intentionally run right into the ground.

Agree with McCoy, starting to like him as an option. Cowher won't coach here, and Singletary is hardly the brow beater you describe. He's a lamb.

#10 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

i hear u, but forget how the fans feel about a press conference lol. we dont have any lance brigg types on the team. but he will get the talent he sees fit and our team will be an upgrade offensively from what he had to work with. like i said foles will be better than cutler i think.. and he will value a big wr. he will def try to aquire one. we are too content with little jackson, and little maclin. it doesnt matter if maclin bulks up like he did a little.. he isnt a big dude or play as such.

i guess im saying i want a coach who will boost the wr group to where there is a miss match every possession.. utlizing foles great decision making. less room for error. just thinkiing if i got some good picks, and money to spend with a 2nd year qb. im making his job alot easier. signing dwayne bowe. keeping maclin. bowe, mac, jax, avant, cooper , or johnson. defense wont be a concern. we can build that very nicely via draft, trade free agency. i just cant wait to see a move already

#11 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

i wouldnt call singltary a lamb... he had to close his mouth and tone down because of how he ripped vernon davis apart. u cant do that to your star tight end! lol

#12 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

i think the eagles will take chip kelly if he wants to be here simply because his collegiate record is good. i know thats obviously a reason...but i think that is the main reason as far as he is a winner and u want to bring that energy and hope it rubs off. instead of a guy who got fired, or hasnt coached in a years. he is fresh and has been winning . plus like someone mentioned he can have his henchman casey matthews.

chip is glad he wont have to travel for recruiting he said...but i hope he can get real familiar with players in the nfl and find some good fits for the team. someone teach him how the drafting, free agency , cap space and trades work. chip wont look for another wide receiver option tho. hes gonna stick with the little speedy types i bet

#13 whole9

whole9

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Pardon me. But can someone please point out to me what McCoy has done to merit the position of becoming a HC??? An assistant at Carolina, and Peytons Mannings assistant, anything else?

#14 gwilkie

gwilkie

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I agree with whole9. Manning is his own offensive coordinator and McCoy is to just agree and stay out of his way. I'd rather have Manning as HC. Watch Reid pull a Vermil on Philly and go on to win a superbowl with KC. We will probably get another Kotite here and then start all over again. No Gruden, No Chip Kelly, No new anyathing except the same ol same. What ever ends up left on the table we will get and hope for a Superbowl for 10 more years.

#15 whole9

whole9

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

It's like we're starting at the bottom of the barrell!

#16 JonnyTsunami

JonnyTsunami

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

College coach college product.

#17 whole9

whole9

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Like Harbaugh, and Carroll??

#18 20BillBradley

20BillBradley

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Fan Since:70's

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Quick, little, fast players, this team has Chip written all over it. Hell, even Vick might be able to produce if used the right way!