Photo
- - - - -

Reid, Chiefs on the brink of agreement

reuben frank csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,550 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Frank

Reid, Chiefs on the brink of agreement

January 4, 2013, 10:33 am

Posted Image

The Chiefs officially parted ways with general manager Scott Pioli Friday morning, removing the final major stumbling block between the Chiefs and Andy Reid.

A league source said Friday afternoon that Reid's representatives were working with Chiefs officials on detailed contract language and that all major issues have been agreed on.

A formal announcement that Reid’s hiring has been finalized is expected to be the next step for the Chiefs and should follow very quickly.

Sources told CSNPhilly.com early Friday morning that the two sides met past midnight Thursday and had agreed on major portions of an agreement to make Reid the 12th coach in Chiefs history.

Pioli, who was part of the group that interviewed Reid, had been the Chiefs’ GM since January 2009.

“After several productive conversations, we made the difficult decision to part ways with Scott Pioli and allow him to pursue other opportunities,” Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said in a statement. “Scott has been an invaluable member of the Chiefs family since joining us in 2009, and we sincerely appreciate his tremendous contributions over the last four years.”

Reid, fired Monday by the Eagles, emerged quickly as the Chiefs’ top – and only – candidate for their head coaching vacancy. The Chiefs fired Romeo Crennel Monday after they went 2-14 in his only full season as head coach. He was interim coach for three games in 2011.

The only other candidate the Chiefs have interviewed is Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong, a Bucks County native. That fulfilled the Chiefs’ Rooney Rule obligation to interview at least one minority candidate.

Reid did not want to take the Chiefs job without being able to bring in his own general manager, who is likely to be either former Eagles and Browns GM Tom Heckert or Packers Director of Football Operations John Dorsey, who was director of college scouting in Green Bay when Reid was on Mike Holmgren’s Packers staff in the 1990s.

“The bottom line is that I did not accomplish all of what I set out to do,” Pioli said in a statement on the Chiefs’ web site. “To the Hunt family – to the great fans of the Kansas City Chiefs – to the players, all employees and alumni, I truly apologize for not getting the job done.”

Reid, who became head coach of the Eagles in 1999, was fired after the team went 4-12 this year, missed the playoffs for a second straight season and failed to win a postseason game for a fourth straight year.

Reid won more playoff games with the Eagles (10) than the Chiefs have won in their 53-year history (eight). The Chiefs’ last playoff win came in 1993, with 37-year-old Joe Montana at quarterback.

Barring a last-minute setback, Reid will be the Chiefs’ fifth head coach since 2005.

Reid is expected to bring in Juan Castillo and Doug Pederson from his Eagles staff.

E-mail Reuben Frank at rfrank@comcastsportsnet.com

#2 ackid38

ackid38

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,285 posts
  • Fan Since:69

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

GOOD FOR ANDY....Hey the last time an Eagles coach left here and went to KC (Vermiell)(spelled wrong i know) they went to the SB..As i have said many times before AR will win a Superbowl,it just wont be for the EAGLES.

#3 greenblood0118

greenblood0118

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Fan Since:conception

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

AR will win a Superbowl,it just wont be for the EAGLES.

No, you idiot...he won't.

#4 bobbyuk

bobbyuk

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,114 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

GOOD FOR ANDY....Hey the last time an Eagles coach left here and went to KC (Vermiell)(spelled wrong i know) they went to the SB..As i have said many times before AR will win a Superbowl,it just wont be for the EAGLES.

KC didn't go to the SB with Vermeil. KC hasn't been to the SB since 1969.

#5 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,557 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

KC didn't go to a Super Bowl under Vermiel. They haven't won a playoff game since 93, as the article said.

#6 time2rock

time2rock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,262 posts
  • Fan Since:Dad (RIP)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Chiefs ... Rams ... what's the difference.

#7 MR-CYN

MR-CYN

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,584 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

KC didn't go to a Super Bowl under Vermiel. They haven't won a playoff game since 93, as the article said.

Yeah, but he could have.

#8 gary

gary

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Not a bad move for Reid....there are some good players on KC. Wouldn't be surprised to see Spags end up in KC as the DC due to the falling out he's having in NO

#9 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,335 posts
  • Fan Since:1952

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Wrong team sport. That was the Rams who he took to the super bowl ans won. I wish Andy well in his new enviorment.