[News] Update On Coaching Search

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,584 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

The Eagles provided the following update regarding the team's search for a new head coach on Saturday morning. "The Eagles are committed to finding the right fit for head coach and are heading to A...

View the full article

#2 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

The law firm of LRS.

#3 michaels maniacs

michaels maniacs

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Fan Since:1973

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

should just get kelly and get it over with

#4 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Lots of HC positions open... you schnooze you lose

#5 Eaglesfan518

Eaglesfan518

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

All 3 of these candidates are great coaches thus far. But my favorite would have to be Mike McCoy. Hes young, smart, and runs a great offense. He works amazingly well with quarterbacks and with our rookie QB learning from him we could easily have a franchise quarterback in Nick Foles. I know our defense is in alot of trouble. But it would be great to have an explosive offense again like in 2010. We just need the right Defensive Coordinator for our defense then we will be good on both sides.

#6 Eaglesfan518

Eaglesfan518

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

@michaels maniacs. I'm not sold on Kelly, I don't believe he should be a head coach for any NFL team yet. He has no NFL experience. The NFL is a lot faster then college. Transitioning from college to the NFL may take a long time. Or could fail miserably. We should all want to start winning next season so we should get a Head Coach that is highly qualified for the job.

#7 jacka123

jacka123

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I hope the Eagles choose and are able to get Mike McCoy from Denver.

#8 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

liking mccoy as well fellas.......also liking cinn to upset houston and minny to upset GB today.  Rollin with the u-dogs this weekend!

3d...u ever hear from 101?

#9 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

The eagles will not hire a head coach because Howie isn't finished building his team yet .When he's finished signing his players he will tell Laurie know who  the coach should be ,so everybody will have to relax and wait,  he will tell us when he is done.Unless Laurie fires him we are all going to have to trust him.

#10 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

bckarp....nah...we'll get a coach first and figure out our assistants/who a new coach can bring along, etc.  The draft and FA aint for a while yet...that's where howie gets to play his version of fantasy football with this franchise.  Lurie knows if he wants a top coaching prospect, he can't wait for too long, but the way it sounds, we're not jumping on anyone's bandwagon too quick.

#11 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I think if Roseman stinks it up one more time this offseason.....he'll be gone just  like Andy.  I think Roseman is on Mr Lurie's short leash

#12 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

most of the big $ decisions on players will come after the SB...ie Vick and co.  I'm guessing we have a coach locked up prior to that for sure

#13 carjack

carjack

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Love the fact that Andy Reid said, "I' ll take the coaching job, but you have to blow-out the G.M. and on the plane back home, the owner said to Pioli, "Oh, by the way, when we get back to K.C., get your s#2@t out of the building and hit the bricks."......Hoping that is what happens with the EAGLES....CALL JOHN GRUDEN...

#14 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Why does Howie keep signing nobody players ? Shouldn't we get a coach first WTF ? And why is the owner O K with this fiasco ?

#15 virgilf

virgilf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

@bckarpman
Why get all bugged out about the no-name signees?!!!  If you "recall" we've got a terrible secondary and he's filling spots for the OTA's so there is competition.  Has nothing to do with player draft.  It's also a signal to current players you better get ready to compete or "we'll dump your butt" for even a no-name guy.  Not necessary at this point to consult with the new HC about adding BODIES to huge off-season roster.
Just a reminder, it's Lurie who picks the HC, not Roseman or Smolensky.  I like the really good candidates they have on their interview list.

#16 T. McGee

T. McGee

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postjhop, on 05 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

liking mccoy as well fellas.......also liking cinn to upset houston and minny to upset GB today.  Rollin with the u-dogs this weekend!

3d...u ever hear from 101?
Hope you're wrong on Cinci. We need them to lose so Zimmer can come and get started hiring his staff here.

#17 Brodieman687

Brodieman687

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Here's my opinion:

#1  The eagles will only be as good as the defensive coordinator they bring in.  Jim Johnson proved the importance of an exceptional D-Coordinator, and almost every struggling team that is trying to make a come back is doing so through the defense.  I also know that many D-Coordinators don't make great head coaches (Mike Nolan in SF, Ray Rhodes, etc) but I don't believe that to always be the case.  I'd love to bring in a Mike Nolan or Gus Bradley as D-Coordinator, but that seems like a pipe dream.  

#2  Picking another high-risk, high-reward coach is not going to lead us to success.  We may still be in the "excellence" zone, but I, for one, think Chip Kelly will not be a super bowl winner, wherever he goes.

#3  We should not pick someone simply because they work well with Howie Roseman and crew.  While I agree with many of Howie's draft picks of last season (especially Kendricks), I don't believe we should be tailoring our selections to the staff that remains in Philly.  We need a fresh start, and a new approach.  I'd love Jon Gruden, but I'm not sure about Jay Gruden.  

#4 The most important assistant coach spot we need to fill is O-Line coach (outside of the coordinators).  Castillo is gone, Mudd is gone, we need another great O-line coach, theyve been good (in spite of the play calling from Andy and Marty last year, and the injuries to the O-Line)

#5 We need to cut ties with Mornhinwheg, April, and possibly Bowles (although a demotion may be enough for him).  

#6 We need to keep Tommy Brasher

#7 We should be ready and willing to trade any and all of the following players:  Vick, DeSean Jackson, Asomugha, Coleman (thought I don't know who'd take him).  These guys are not critical to our success, and we could add an important piece through moving them elsewhere.  DRC needs to stay, he showed his potential a couple times last year....if we actually work on getting good safeties, he will be great as our #1 corner.

#8 Our offense must be ready to run the ball.  If we can fix Bryce Brown's fumbling issues, we have a lethal 1-2 punch at RB.  We should rely on that, and an upgraded defense to win next year.

#9  We should re-sign Brian Rolle.  The sky was the limit for this guy, he was cut prematurely, especially after being the best linebacker on the team in 2011.  A foolish, short-sighted cutting resulted in a LB core that was eventually exposed.  The 3rd spot in the LB core is still wide open.  Kendricks, Ryans, and Rolle would be great....but if they aren't willing to pick Rolle back up, they should get someone better for that 3rd LB spot.

#18 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hes signing %u201Cno body%u201C players because,u need to!  How else to u fond those doamond in the ruffs who can contribute?  Bigger signings come later fool, u cant sign any player currently on a teams roster yet, even tho the season has ended for some.

#19 rohash

rohash

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Brodie, I agree with all of your points except that no one is gonna trade for Vick, Asomugha or Coleman. Vick and Aso need to be cut due to their level of play(espescially Nnamdi) and the obscene amount of money they would make next year. Coleman plays hard but not smart and he doesn't really have the talent to be a starter but I think he'd be OK to battle for a roster spot as a b/u considering he isn't a high salary player. Jackson would be hard to trade too considering his recent contact deal. Although I'd rather see a big physical WR opposite Maclin, D-Jax was our most productive WR before he got injured.

Brasher is a good D-line coach but he's 70 years old and probably won't fit into the plans of the next coach.

#20 Hooch1959

Hooch1959

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

why don't they go after Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher,

#21 alexandr332

alexandr332

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

dub - Keep the fool comments to yourself when your own posts are incoherent. Usually grammar and spelling errors can be forgiven, but the problems in your post make it very hard to understand...  even though I *think* I agree with you.

He (Lurie or Roseman) is signing 'no name' players to fill the roster because its necessary for the Eagles? How else can you find a diamond in the rough? The Eagles will sign bigger names later because most big names are still on other playoff teams' rosters?

Is that what you meant to say?  And are you talking about Lurie or Roseman signing no name players? That does actually make a difference.

Proofread a little before you post so the rest of us can understand what you're trying to say.

#22 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

The only thing that I can remember in Mike Nolan's 3 years or whatever it was as a head coach in SF was that desperate attention seeking moment when Nolan and the other look at me coach Jack DelRio petitioned the NFL to allow head coaches to wear suits on the sideline, the explanation from these 2 attention seekers was that basketball coaches wear suits on the sideline and NFL coaches should to so that they can look the part and feel like they set themselves aside amongst the other coaches and look professional doing it. I hated it then and the thought of it now just annoys me as a fan. Hey Nolan and DelRio you had irrelevant head coaching careers and Nolan should never had even had an interview here. Just go away. If you guys want to stand out and look great doing it go to a fashion show. Ridiculous.

#23 saifire

saifire

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

What about a new defensive coordinator?!

#24 CheeseSteakwillybob

CheeseSteakwillybob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

With all the public hype of eagles front office flying here and there to interview coaches Im hoping its to cover someones privacy. Lurie is the best in the business for keeping things hush hush until a deal has been done behind closed doors. A good feeling is telling me Jon Gruden is coming back but request it not go public until he has closed all ties with his current job. He is only person fit for this city and its tough attitude fan base.....bring in chucky and lets play

#25 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Observations from the Bengals/ Texans game. Zimmer had the Cincinnati defense playing their hearts out. He deserves an interview. Jay Gruden had a pathetic game plan on offense especially for a playoff game. I just crossed him off my list. After watching both Daulton and Shaab quarterback for this game there is no doubt in my mind that Nick Foles will be a better quarterback than both these guys if given an ample opportunity.

#26 Hughes22

Hughes22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

why is everyone saying get rid of d-jax?? he is the second best playmaker on the team! he is an established threat, he is better off on the team then somewhere else.

#27 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Djax is getting allot of loot. He hasn't been as good and got injured. I think people just want bigger targets.

#28 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hughes22  Jackson may be a deep threat however he is not earning his keep if he can't do anything else. He can't go over the middle consistantly because he is too fragile. If they are going to keep him they should at least let him return kickoffs. Time will tell won't it?

#29 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I know I am a little fed up with him. He is getting paid like a number one guy. Plus look how well the other wide outs stepped up in his absence. We need to get a tough D minded coach. Glad they didn't sign Kelly but they are still meeting Sun. Jay Gruden is coming in, I think he might get the job or Seattle DC.

#30 Brad71

Brad71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Gus Bradley For Head Coach........Can somebody tell me why Marty Morhinweg hasn't been FIRED yet????

Gus Bradley for Head Coach!!!! Can somebody please tell me why Marty Morhinweg has not been FIRED yet???