[News] Report: Long Meeting For Kelly, Eagles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,512 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

The Eagles were reportedly scheduled for lunch with Chip Kelly in Arizona, but reports indicate the meeting with the Oregon head coach lasted until late Saturday night ...

View the full article

#2 pace7525

pace7525

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

chip kelly runs a very successful defense. He is smart enough to know that the read option must go, and he will tailor his offense to a more west-coast style I would believe, and his defense would play into the hands of some of our players. Allowing his 3-4 looks will create a defense dependent on the play of ILB Kendrick who I think could be phenominal in his natural position, and D. Ryans wo could learn to play chip kellys style of D.

#3 ronster55

ronster55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Nick Aliotti runs the defense for Oregon. Still would like to get Chip or McCoy though for offensive purposes.

#4 rohash

rohash

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

He's the one guy on the list that I do not want to be the next eagles coach. I just don't think his game will translate to the NFL. With his high powered offense you would think he would have put a lot of stars in the NFL. I can't think of any. Doesn't Oregon usually lose whenever they play a good defense like LSU or Stanford? I think the only reason Kelly has been successful is because he has a big speed advantage over most of his opponents and the methods he uses to get these athletes to oregon is questionable at best since this is the second year in a row they have been under NCAA investigation.

#5 rohash

rohash

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

Oh yeah, did I mention he has ZERO NFL coaching experience? Coaches out of college with no NFL experience are usually failures in the NFL.

#6 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I agree....I do not want Kelly in Philadelphia. As an OC maybe but not a HC. I just don't trust the guy. Give me Lovie or Arians

#7 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

>>rohash: Lurie grabbed an absolutely OBSCURE QB COACH from Holmgren's staff ad made him the Eagles last HC...and kept him for 14 seasons. Was any of that RATIONAL? Lurie dances to his own drummer. He doesn't say much,but apparently wants to leave his unique mark on the NFL. Agreement that a Lovie Smith or Mike McCoy or similar make "sense" based on track record and experience in the NFL...that wasn't criteria in hiring Andy Reid.

Why spend 7  hours jawing with Chip Kelly? I think Lurie is genuinely curious about how Kelly thinks and Kelly's observations of football and trends in football. After all, Lurie has been listening to AR's thinking for 14 seasons--anyone else is a breath of fresh air. And, I think Roseman really "likes" Kelly--so they ar putting the time in with him when both sides and squeeze it in.

Both Banner and Roseman have their detractors in the NFL--especially former players. Neither guy is an attraction or a huge positive for a HC to play for Cleveland or Philadelphia....

#8 ackid38

ackid38

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,343 posts
  • Fan Since:69

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I just want the process over with and get us a coach.Could careless who it is.We just need a fresh start,and get back to the EAGLES winning ways.Us as fans can make all the assumptions we WANT.We are not the scouts and pros.We think we know everything and whats best for our team.Leave that work for the guys upstairs and let us just enjoy the ride..If they fail its their faults..If they dont it will still be their faults.

#9 pace7525

pace7525

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

ronster. I know you think the D-coordinator runs the defense, but chip kelly has to okay the scheme. He runs the defense, as does any head coah at any level. He makes all executive dcisions

#10 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

@jwood,  Reid proved to be a pretty  good choice for at least 10 of those 14 yrs. I doubt you were in here complaining when he was taking us to all those post seasons. Now because he wasn't someone with wide world name recognition he wasn't the right choice. Please! Not everyone has to be someone popular. Just because they haven't been a HC doesnt mean they can't be, and be very good at it. Ditto for collage coaches. I think most Eagle fans still remember the failed Spurrier seasons and think that every collage coach is doomed to fail because he did..or Saben did.  Jim Harbaugh hasn't failed, neither has Pete Carroll. So just because Kelly or any other head coach at the collage level hasn't been a HC in the NFL doesn't mean they can't be and be very good at it. Myself  I really don't care who it is as I trust Jeffery and Howie to make the right chocie for this team.

#11 ronster55

ronster55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postpace7525, on 06 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

ronster. I know you think the D-coordinator runs the defense, but chip kelly has to okay the scheme. He runs the defense, as does any head coah at any level. He makes all executive dcisions

Chip obviously makes calls on what players to try and recruit and general decisions, but Aliotti runs the defense and makes the calls during the game. I go to school here and am around the program a lot. Not saying that Chip can't run a defense, but it is always referred to as "Aliotti's defense".