Photo
- - - - -

If your heart ain't in it...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

If Kelly isn't sure if he wants to jump into the NFL, should the Eagles still be interested or move on as the Browns seem to be doing ?
Thoughts ?

The Browns walked away from Oregon coach Chip Kelly because they weren't sure his heart was 100-percent into leaving Oregon, a league source told the Plain Dealer today.

With Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner committed to bringing a championship team to Cleveland, they weren't about to settle for anything less than a 100-percent commitment, the source said.

Sensing that Kelly was waffling on whether or not to jump to the NFL or stay with the Ducks, the Browns removed themselves from the running and flew home from Arizona to restart their search without him.

That left Kelly to decide between the Eagles and staying at Oregon, and a source earlier told the Plain Dealer that Kelly seemed to be leaning toward staying at the university.

Even if Kelly chooses the Eagles, the Browns are at peace with their decision to pull out, the source said, because they're looking for someone who they're certain will be 100% on board.

#2 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Exactly my thoughts. I didn't want him anyway but I definitely don't want him anymore

#3 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,171 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

If Kelly isn't sure if he wants to jump into the NFL, should the Eagles still be interested or move on as the Browns seem to be doing ?
Thoughts ?

It might have been a case of Kelly wasn't sure he wanted to join the NFL with the Browns... can you blame him on that count?

#4 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

It might have been a case of Kelly wasn't sure he wanted to join the NFL with the Browns... can you blame him on that count?

Not really, its still an NFL organisation and he met with them for 7 hours. What about last year and the Bucs?

#5 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,171 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Not really, its still an NFL organisation and he met with them for 7 hours. What about last year and the Bucs?

Bucs, Browns... not a bunch of difference.

#6 Ohio

Ohio

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well the Browns have a much deeper engrained culture of losing but they do have new ownership that seems to have an urgency about turning the franchise around. I think Kelly is playing the big tease in all this and if not, then his demands must be off the charts. Hope he stays in Oregon.

Ohio Eagle_smiley.jpg

#7 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Meanwhile...the Eagles may have missed their shot at Marrone who some thought was one of the best coaches available.

#8 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Well the Browns have a much deeper engrained culture of losing but they do have new ownership that seems to have an urgency about turning the franchise around. I think Kelly is playing the big tease in all this and if not, then his demands must be off the charts. Hope he stays in Oregon

Ohio Eagle_smiley.jpg

He may be waiting to see if Oregon (and Phil Knight ) will give him a better deal to stay. Just like O'Brien did with PSU.

#9 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,171 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Meanwhile...the Eagles may have missed their shot at Marrone who some thought was one of the best coaches available.

They'd have missed that anyway, he wasn't scheduled to meet until today, or was it Monday?

#10 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

They'd have missed that anyway, he wasn't scheduled to meet until today, or was it Monday?

So the Browns had first shot at Kelly and the Bills had first shot at Marrone ? Is that how Howie operates ?

#11 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Time for Plan D

Sources are telling CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora that Chip Kelly has decided to stay at Oregon rather than accepting the Eagles' offer.

#12 RepPhilly

RepPhilly

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Time for Plan D

Sources are telling CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora that Chip Kelly has decided to stay at Oregon rather than accepting the Eagles' offer.

It's probably the best option for everyone. I'm an Oregon fan and don't doubt that Kelly could coach in the NFL. I just think right now his heart is in Oregon and it should be. They were one of the best teams in the country with a freshman QB. They have a chance to play for a BCS title next year. He should stay, try for that title then maybe go to the NFL.

If he's not sure he wants to go to the NFL, the Eagles should definitely not even waste their time.

#13 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Time for Plan D

I honestly don't think Chip knows what he wants to do and its probably best for all involved for him to stay where he is.

There is absolutely no shame in that...

#14 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

I honestly don't think Chip knows what he wants to do and its probably best for all involved for him to stay where he is.

There is absolutely no shame in that...

If Kelly isn't chomping at the bit to become the next coach of the Eagles it is a huge red flag and Lurie would be crazy to hire him.

There is no shame in that. I agree with you.

#15 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,782 posts
  • Fan Since:Merrill

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

he probably realizes his gimmick offense would be a failure in the pros. why else would he stay? he's making $800,000 at Oregon. He'd make way more than that in the NFL.

#16 pgcd3

pgcd3

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,045 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Gus Bradley is the best option. Was a better choice than Chip either way. They need to make that happen

#17 Whiskey

Whiskey

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Gus Bradley is the best option. Was a better choice than Chip either way. They need to make that happen

That is who I have wanted from the beginning. He took two no-name big bodied corners who nobody thought could play in the NFL and made them into arguably the best CB tandem in the league.