Photo
- - - - -

FedEx Field 3 ACL's 0

nfl field conditions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,667 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

The NFL really ought to take control of playing surfaces and standardize them if they can. The Vet was always a horrible field, I'm not sure how many ACL's it claimed but I know of at least 3 in the past year that FedEx Field has claimed.

What can/should the NFL do?

#2 HarborTheClay

HarborTheClay

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Make them play on their knees? Crap happens, get over it.

#3 Innocence096

Innocence096

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,031 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

i wonder if the NFL will eventually step in

#4 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,667 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Two ACL's blown out in the same day, on the same field and "Crap happens"... moron much?

#5 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

:lol: What a moron. It's a visibly crappy looking field, looks like a stinkin septic tank sprinkles that field. The NFL will step in and they will impose standards when it comes to playing surfaces.

#6 fanatik

fanatik

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

#7 mike030270

mike030270

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

They had a week to prepare the field from what I read. I'm sure Goodell will jump on this player safety issue faster than a fat man on cake.

#8 HarborTheClay

HarborTheClay

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

You can only do so much for a football field into January. What do you want them to do? Crap does happen. Knee jerk reactions.

#9 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,004 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

You can only do so much for a football field into January. What do you want them to do? Crap does happen. Knee jerk reactions.

Dude that field is a disgrace. Lambeau is in the coldest environment in the league yet has spectacular turf.

#10 Utebird

Utebird

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,222 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Dude that field is a disgrace. Lambeau is in the coldest environment in the league yet has spectacular turf.

This

Last i checked the vikings played a game at lambeau, it gets a bit colder in wisconsin in the winter than in washington yet the frozen tundra was in better shape.

having said that ever notice alot of guys back in the day didnt tear up their knees or atleast their ACLs.

its not coincidence, the bigger athletes get the more strain it puts on their tendons, if an athlete is using HGH his muscles get bigger his organs, such as the heart get larger,which could explain why so many athletes are diagnosed with enlarged hearts, bones such as the jaw get bigger and muscles and mass around the legs get bigger but HGH doesnt make tendons stronger, adding all that extra mass to ones body when ones body isnt built to hold that much mass puts strain on ones tendons and they give out, also having the added muscle gives one the ability to exert more force which also puts more strain on tendons, weight lifting is extremely tough on joints and tendons, the bigger and faster athletes get the more pressure they put on their tendons which could explain why so many athletes injure their ACLs in this day and age too big too quick.

#11 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,667 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Something tells me that if this had happened to Shady, the kid wouldn't be saying "crap happens".

#12 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

That field is pathetic. Snyder should be ashamed.

#13 GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Seattle should file a grievance.

#14 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

The NFL really ought to take control of playing surfaces and standardize them if they can. The Vet was always a horrible field, I'm not sure how many ACL's it claimed but I know of at least 3 in the past year that FedEx Field has claimed.

What can/should the NFL do?

make Danny boy install feild-turf

I actually want the eagles to do that also. It will make Djax and Shady that much faster then on the slow slop that we have in November and December at the Link

#15 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

http://vimeo.com/56943814

This is GREAT

#16 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think this is something that could be brought up for discussion and investigation by Roger Goodell but I do not see it going anywhere because it would just turn into another 8-10 month battle with the NFL giving in at the end. And plus the Redskins are still in the middle of the cap issue from last year. Goodell will probably sit down with Snyer or call him and tell him to not let it happen again in the future.

But there is a legitiment question to ask why the field did not look any better than it was in Week 16, I mean yea you are granted home field based upon your ranking seed, but you are also asked to keep the field in decent shape. And the fact that it was "winter" time is not a good excuse because yes other field that inherit colder temperatures looked 10x better than Fedex Field. No matter which way you look at it, 3 ACL injuries have happened in the past year on this field.

#17 GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Skins thought their chopped up field would give them an advantage because Seattle plays at home on FieldTurf.

#18 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Skins thought their chopped up field would give them an advantage because Seattle plays at home on FieldTurf.

That's gonna be the main reason teams will be wary of having perfectly conditioned playing fields, because they play on their turf at least 8 times a season, they risk the health and safety of their own players by having bad turfs. The Redskins seem to be one of the most injured teams in the league every season, they should take a serious look at their turf now, especially since they're messing with the health of their franchise player.

#19 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,004 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Last i checked the vikings played a game at lambeau, it gets a bit colder in wisconsin in the winter than in washington yet the frozen tundra was in better shape.

It helps that they heat the field at Lambeau too, but that field is pristine. Also think your comment on HGH is on point, the testing is pretty poor in the nfl for it. It also explains the unprecedented quick recoveries from injury that we're seeing.

If something seems to good to be true (superhuman), it probably is. Remember baseball in the late 90's? We were all marveling about the power hitters the same way we're shocked now when Suggs, AP, etc come back from injury quicker than anyone else ever has.

#20 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,667 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

It helps that they heat the field at Lambeau too, but that field is pristine. Also think your comment on HGH is on point, the testing is pretty poor in the nfl for it. It also explains the unprecedented quick recoveries from injury that we're seeing.

If something seems to good to be true (superhuman), it probably is. Remember baseball in the late 90's? We were all marveling about the power hitters the same way we're shocked now when Suggs, AP, etc come back from injury quicker than anyone else ever has.

It was actually heated as far back as the Ice Bowl too. Of course when it's that cold, heating the field dows very little...

#21 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,004 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

It was actually heated as far back as the Ice Bowl too. Of course when it's that cold, heating the field dows very little...

Didn't the heating system malfunction that game causing the conditions? I thought I remembered that being the story, but very well could be wrong

#22 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Didn't the heating system malfunction that game causing the conditions? I thought I remembered that being the story, but very well could be wrong

http://en.wikipedia....ip_Game#Setting

#23 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,667 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I don't recall hearing that, but it could have. I only remember being a it surprised that they had it back at that time. I saw it on an Ice Bowl special a few years ago. My memory of it from that special, which my memory could be wrong, was that it was just too cold for the heating system to be effective. But a malfunction would do that too.

#24 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,004 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ip_Game#Setting

Ahhh there you go. I still find it funny that the lions fans think we mucked up the astroturf in 95 to mess with Barry Sanders before that playoff game

#25 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,667 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Maybe the malfunction hadn't been known of at the time of the special that I saw...

http://m.nfl.com/new...-lambeau-field/

By NFL.com

Published: January 14, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Modified: January 15, 2012 at 7:21 AM

What's in a name? Apparently nothing aside from a decades-long mythology when it comes to the vaunted "frozen tundra" at Lambeau Field.

In a story in Saturday's edition of The New York Times , the newspaper reported the turf at the Green Bay Packers ' home stadium hasn't been frozen during a football game for more than 40 years.

"It's just like playing in the summer on the grass," Packers offensive lineman T. J. Lang said. "It's never hard, it's never frozen."

According to The Times, the ground at Lambeau Field has been heated since 1967 when the franchise installed electric coils underneath the playing surface to keep the ground soft in frigid conditions. The only reason "The Ice Bowl" -- the 1967 NFL Championship game between the Packers and the Dallas Cowboys -- occurred was because the sub-zero temperatures overwhelmed the recently installed heating system.

In 1997, the Packers replaced the coil system with a series of underground pipes filled with a solution that included antifreeze. The Times reported the temperature of the field is controlled by field manager Allen Johnson. Temperatures are expected to be in the 20s during Sunday's divisional round playoff game against the New York Giants , but the newspaper reported the field should read at a comfortable 40 degrees.

#26 Iggles

Iggles

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

After Baltimore, and Cincinatti built new stadiums, they used grass. Within a couple years, they switched to FieldTurf. Gillette (New England) has always been FieldTurf. I wonder why Pittsburgh, DC, and Philly haven't caught on that grass fields get punished by December?

As for ACL injuries, nothing will ever top the Chicago Bear DB who blew out both knees on the same play at the VET in 1993.

#27 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,004 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

After Baltimore, and Cincinatti built new stadiums, they used grass. Within a couple years, they switched to FieldTurf. Gillette (New England) has always been FieldTurf. I wonder why Pittsburgh, DC, and Philly haven't caught on that grass fields get punished by December?

If grass is treated properly it isn't a problem. However crappy upkeep, and you see the results

#28 Iggles

Iggles

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

If grass is treated properly it isn't a problem. However crappy upkeep, and you see the results

The weather in the northeast makes it very hard to maintain a decent grass field this time of year. Fed Ex is no worse or better than Heinz Field after college, high school, and pro teams play on it by January. The reason I didn't bring up the Linc is the Eagles haven't had that oppotunity to play this late recently, but they would also apply.

#29 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 81,550 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

As for ACL injuries, nothing will ever top the Chicago Bear DB who blew out both knees on the same play at the VET in 1993.

Wendell Davis. I remember that game.

#30 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,004 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

The weather in the northeast makes it very hard to maintain a decent grass field this time of year. Fed Ex is no worse or better than Heinz Field after college, high school, and pro teams play on it by January. The reason I didn't bring up the Linc is the Eagles haven't had that oppotunity to play this late recently, but they would also apply.

No, it doesn't with proper care, especially if you heat the field. I feel like I'm having deja vu, maybe you want to read earlier in the thread where I talked about Lambeau?