Photo

[News] Offseason Preview: Quarterback

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,852 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

The offseason is well underway for the Philadelphia Eagles. As the team begins its preparations for the 2013 season, PhiladelphiaEagles.com takes a position-by-position look at the roster. Here's a...

View the full article

#2 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Foles need to learn how to throw better. His balls wobble alot and float.

#3 cheeese

cheeese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Foles definitely has potential. Pocket passers win super bowls. Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Rogers, etc- this is how a successful qb plays. Scrambling qbs are a fad and will not win long term. Did you see how ineffective RGIII was once he couldn't scramble. Here to hoping that Vick gets the big boot to the curb and the next coach sticks with Foles long term.

#4 jamesconnrules

jamesconnrules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Fan Since:forever

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

foles starting qb for the eagles trade vick

vick is a curse

#5 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

The Eagles had better have a good viable plan for the QB position. Why you ask?

1) There are literally only a handful of reliable QBs in the NFL both from a) a performance perspective and b) from a "staying healthy" perspective.

2) If the Eagles go with Foles who is the backup if he gets injured or doesn't perform? Trent Edwards? Is that even sensible?

3) What are the other back up options if part way through the season we have QB issues?

Perhaps the Eagles may be better served by :

1) Settling on a new coach ( and his staff);

2) Fixing the defence;

3) Fixing the O-line;

4) Addressing the QB situation.

I list QB 4th because we have 2 QBs with years of experience and 1 with barely 1/2 a years experience. If the O-line isn't fixed, NO quarterback will do well , NOT FOLES, VICK, EDWARDS, BREES, ROGERS,...
Do you want to kill your biggest investment with a swiss cheese (holes) nO-LINE?

I can gaurantee you that all 4 of the above items won't get done in 1 off-season. That's why they alwasy give a new caoch 3-5 years to get it right and WIN.

#6 SUPERMANXX21

SUPERMANXX21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Fan Since:I was Born

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

seriously unless you very unsmart football people want to see your eagles not have a winning season over the next 3 to 4 years because you want to go with foles, go for it. Vick is the best winning option for this team like it or not. quit hating on the dude. If foles woulda been the starter from the start he woulda been injured by week 3 out for the season. Plz stop saying such stupid stuff when behind your words your just angry because the guy you don't want is the better guy.

#7 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Foles definitely has potential. Pocket passers win super bowls. Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Rogers, etc- this is how a successful qb plays. Scrambling qbs are a fad and will not win long term. Did you see how ineffective RGIII was once he couldn't scramble. Here to hoping that Vick gets the big boot to the curb and the next coach sticks with Foles long term.

You aren't very bright when you say, "Did you see how ineffective RGIII was once he couldn't scramble. " No one would be effective passing or running in a knee brace coming back from an injury that wasn't compeltely healed. Shanahan should have 'manned-up' and took him out of the game at the first half. You could see that he wasn't mobile. A rookie shouldn't be deciding whether to stay in our out in this circumstance. Experience trumps in-experience in this circumstance. The coach didn't want to take the blame if he pulled RG3 out and Washington lost.

By the way "Cheese" head have you looked RG3's pasing stats? Oh I see you're a newbie.

#8 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

As a long time Eagles fan I vote for Foles! Win or lose I have to know what kind of quarterback he is. At the present time Vick "may" be better than Foles however he isn't 16 million dollars a year better than Foles. If we are going to start over again , lets start over. Foles is the quarterback of the future and if he turns out to be a bust we get another quarterback. From what I have seen so far this year, there are none in this years draft that are better than he is.

#9 cheeese

cheeese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

You aren't very bright when you say, "Did you see how ineffective RGIII was once he couldn't scramble. " No one would be effective passing or running in a knee brace coming back from an injury that wasn't compeltely healed. Shanahan should have 'manned-up' and took him out of the game at the first half. You could see that he wasn't mobile. A rookie shouldn't be deciding whether to stay in our out in this circumstance. Experience trumps in-experience in this circumstance. The coach didn't want to take the blame if he pulled RG3 out and Washington lost.

By the way "Cheese" head have you looked RG3's pasing stats? Oh I see you're a newbie.

By the way "Canada Eagle", have you noticed the name is Cheeese? Oh I see you're a Canadian idiot.

#10 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Foles will eventually lead this team to a SB Title....you heard it here first.

#11 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

sambo4 - Sorry but you are not the first person on here that has stated that. Doesn't matter, I like your enthusiasm!

#12 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Supermanx22, Vick is not the answer or never was the answer, he's averaged roughly 2 turmovers per game the past 2 seasons, he wasted his talent and should be at best a back up next year.

#13 saveir1

saveir1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think the Eagles can find a jem in coach McCoy. He seems to be a the better coach out of the coordinaters. He could be that next offensive mastermind just waiting for the right team. Our players need a new philosophy and attitude. That being said the type of coach the Eagles select will determine the type of Quarterback the team will have. I beleive in Micheal Vick, he can still be the guy we wanted to see in an offense thats built around him, example (RG3 ). Injuries have always been my main concern when it came to Vick, hate him or love him, but no QB should ever take that many hits. I like Nick Foles alot, to me he gave us somthing promising to look forward to. I always get excited when we get to see a rookie on the feild, exspecially a QB. If he is the guy next season, I hope he has the right coach to help him get to the next level(Mike McCoy for Foles=SBs).

#14 Burner34x

Burner34x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

/agree with saveir1 o line managed to decommission 2 QBs in less the 1 season - foles is a good backup. keep them both pay vick less. hang your hat on 1 QB with this o line - u may very well F yourself in the A. =X

#15 hopeless

hopeless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

may the foles error begin..vick was a shining example of ni##3rdom and I think i speak for everyone when i say i am glad he and fat andy are off the team..vick looks like a hugh $hi t that andy left in philly

#16 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

it still comical reading some of u saying u still believe in vick, and he can lead this team and all the other non sense. what team has vick ever lead? what has he accomplished other than qb rushing yards? he has always been a turn over machine. i mean really...dont u guys want to be contenders and make it to the super bowl? atleast nfc title games! that kind of offense u beg for with vick only gets us a average- below average record. teams win the bowl and get there by being able to pass the ball efficiently and running the ball successfully when it is needed. so please lets stop begging for vick to be what he isnt.

vick is a bologna sandwich u guys keep waiting to turn into a pats cheese steak

*led

#17 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

OK Lets see if I got it right after the replies I read. A new offensive coordinator as a Head Coach will fix our QB problem. It was Reid's fault because of what happened the last 2 years because he didn't teach Vic how to slide, how to hold the ball, when to throw it out of bounds how not to throw interceptions, how to read a defense, how to change a play, when to call time out. Ask Vic he will tell you how good he is. His reply ( I was so good the last two years I will not take a pay cut)

#18 bigmac65

bigmac65

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Damn impressive for a rookie can only imagine what could have been with a Oline that can block good and a defense that can make more stops.

#19 Eaglefan1456

Eaglefan1456

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

I agree that the O-line needs to be much better no matter who is QB. I'm not convinced that just hoping that everyone is healthy will fix the O-line. Love Foles poise and pocket presence. Hope the new coach makes developing him a priority! I don't think Vick plays the position well enough to be a starting QB in this league. (I'm sure someone will think so, just hope it's not us!)

#20 bleedgreen4LF

bleedgreen4LF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Wow hopeless, did you really just go there with your hidden n-word description of Vick?!?! Well at least we know why you really don't like him.

#21 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

By the way "Canada Eagle", have you noticed the name is Cheeese? Oh I see you're a Canadian idiot.

Did you look at RG3s stats or are you speaking without knowledge?

#22 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

may the foles error begin..vick was a shining example of ni##3rdom and I think i speak for everyone when i say i am glad he and fat andy are off the team..vick looks like a hugh $hi t that andy left in philly

Hopeless you are speaking for yourself! Not me or many others in this forum. At least we know where you stand. Also, by what you have posted, you are living up to your name.

#23 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Why are a few of you so 'high' on Foles? I have nothing against him but when I compare him to other rookies QBs that played this year, many have done much better. There are some that came off the bench and were very impressive. Forget about Vick for a moment and just evaluate Foles with other QB rookies this year. Both those that started and those that were brought in off the bench. Where does he stand compared to them. Perhaps he will shine next year if he starts from the beginning. But we need to fix some other problems in order for him to be successful. If they aren't fixed he WILL fail. It's all about winning in professional sports. Not just potential.

Yes, I agree that he Foles has potential but when you start talking about going to the Super Bowl coupled with the lack of patience the fanbase has, the expectations are way too high and he will be doomed for failure.

#24 rabram17

rabram17

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Canada_Eagle...why should people not be high on Foles. Sure, other rookie qb's have done better..but the qb's also got the practice with the first squad in the preseason and almost all season. Those other qb's got to have a 1st team offensive line all year and not back-ups. Those guys also had a healthy wr core. Also had a healthy starting rb (mccoy was injured for many of Foles games.

Im high on him because he showed pocket awareness and the ability to move in the pocket. He showed that he has a good arm and can read some defenses. Did he make mistakes....yes. But I (and many) think that with more off-season work and studying, this kid has a chance to be a real qb. I also think that this fan-base has been brought back to reality, so people will give him time to develop. Of course, I could be wrong but hopefully not!

#25 Burner34x

Burner34x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

pocket awareness and ability to move in the pocket? hes a easy sac, he cant move. yes he can throw the ball like any QB in the nfl, but what makes him so promising? last game he played he fumbled threw an int and wiffed on the wide open throw to maclin. u want to roll the dice and have 2 years of hes new excuses, well that may happen but as of now he does not give us the best chance to win.

#26 ironbear73

ironbear73

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

@burner34x....there are few counter points to your "pocket awareness and ability to move? he's an easy sack" comment they are: Manning x2, Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Ryan....do I need to add more or do you get the point? Last game he played the moajority of the game with a fractured hand...Having played my last college games with a broken hand I understand the pain he was in...Do you?! Foles has the greatest potential to develop into a Super Bowl QB for Philly at present. Does that mean to not pursue a QB in the draft no it just means Foles at 6'6 243 and inteligent has an advantage over others. Point of fact the mobile, super "athlete" QBs dont win Super Bowls.

#27 Burner34x

Burner34x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

the qb's u named have all the time in the world to throw. what im saying is fix the rest of the team and the 2 qbs u have will get you somewhere.

#28 Unknownbird

Unknownbird

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

sorry dude but vick is still here!! Lol!!

#29 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Canada_Eagle...why should people not be high on Foles. Sure, other rookie qb's have done better..but the qb's also got the practice with the first squad in the preseason and almost all season. Those other qb's got to have a 1st team offensive line all year and not back-ups. Those guys also had a healthy wr core. Also had a healthy starting rb (mccoy was injured for many of Foles games.

Im high on him because he showed pocket awareness and the ability to move in the pocket. He showed that he has a good arm and can read some defenses. Did he make mistakes....yes. But I (and many) think that with more off-season work and studying, this kid has a chance to be a real qb. I also think that this fan-base has been brought back to reality, so people will give him time to develop. Of course, I could be wrong but hopefully not!

Hi I respect your opinion and that you shared your reasoning.

Have you considered Kirk Cousins or Colin Kaepernick who took over in week 10 for the 49ers? Unfortunately, next year we will probably still have injuries and this will impact the team. Although the QB is very improtant, football is a team sport and every team requires a nucleus of good players in order to have success. The QB can't do it on his own.

Cheers.

#30 Canada_Eagle

Canada_Eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

the qb's u named have all the time in the world to throw. what im saying is fix the rest of the team and the 2 qbs u have will get you somewhere.

I agree with what you are saying Burner. I watched the full 2 games of the Vikings vs Packers on back-to-back weekends and it was amazing to see how much time Aaron Rdgers has to throw. Everyone forgets that. Obviously he is very good BUT put him on the Eagles and would he be good or as good? Or would he be on his a** every other play? He may even miss some games because of getting hit so many times.