Photo
- - - - -

"Redskins" name bad karma?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 vsptroops

vsptroops

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

http://www.washingto...ad15_story.html

#2 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,951 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

That's what happens in a disgruntled sports city :lol: their journalists start losing their ish and start writing superstitious cow dung like this to try and make sense of all the misery that has befallen them.

#3 vsptroops

vsptroops

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

That's what happens in a disgruntled sports city :lol: their journalists start losing their ish and start writing superstitious cow dung like this to try and make sense of all the misery that has befallen them.

no kidding. kinda like in philly with the "curse of billy penn". luckily the 08 phillies put that to bed. ha!!

#4 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Vick is the hex on philly.

#5 craig_78

craig_78

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Fan Since:Big Bang

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

no kidding. kinda like in philly with the "curse of billy penn". luckily the 08 phillies put that to bed. ha!!

Or the bad Feng shui at the Link.

#6 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,047 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

The name isn't to blame for their issues, their owner is. He's been behind the fa binge year after year, he's hired the bad coaches, and he's responsible for the piss poor field conditions.

Still it is a really racist name.

#7 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I don't think there's bad karma associated with the name, especially given the fact that the team has won three Super Bowls. Despite the writer's assertion that the Gibbs era was long ago, the success of that time period can't be discounted.

However, I do think the team name is demeaning. It's a derogatory term. If a significant number of Native Americans have found it objectionable, it should have been changed.

The Redskins have a racist past in another aspect too - former owner George Preston Marshall was an avowed racist who held out signing black players until 1962, and only then under threat of termination of the stadium lease. While they've moved far beyond that aspect of their history, they need to take the additional step of revoking the Redskins name and finding a new one.

#8 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Vick is the hex on philly.

Not for much longer hopefully!

#9 paco

paco

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 32,670 posts
  • Fan Since:2038

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Probably not but the teams historically racist past is.

#10 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,732 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

http://www.washingto...ad15_story.html

Well, seeing as they're the Landover Redskins and not the Washington Redskins, they ought to drop Washington completely. Other than that, I wouldn't call having 3 Lombardi's on 5 trips to the Super Bowl "bad karma".

#11 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yeah that's the reason

#12 lb7

lb7

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

If you are going to have a racist name, I think the "Washington Wetbacks" is much more catchy.

#13 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,163 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

DC's mayor said if the Skins were to move back to DC they would be forced to change their name http://www.sportswor...-moves-back.htm

Well, seeing as they're the Landover Redskins and not the Washington Redskins, they ought to drop Washington completely. Other than that, I wouldn't call having 3 Lombardi's on 5 trips to the Super Bowl "bad karma".

Skins play in Landover, have their offices in VA. Nothing in DC. Of course you also have the Giants and Jets playing in NJ but calling themselves New York.

#14 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,030 posts
  • Fan Since:Disco

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I think they should change their name to the Washington Hope or the Washington Change. The Washington Monuments would be pretty boss.

No, the Washington Sentinels!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I think they should change their name to the Washington Hope or the Washington Change. The Washington Monuments would be pretty boss.

No, the Washington Sentinels!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image
It would be so confusing when the giants played them in their alternate jerseys.

#16 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,030 posts
  • Fan Since:Disco

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

They can keep their same wretched colors.

#17 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,163 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I think the names being suggest for the New Orelans NBA team are far more offensive. It does sorta amaze me that the name Redskins has lasted this long. It's far more different than your team being named Indians, Blackhawks, Chiefs or Seminoles because the team name refers to a skin color. You don't seem to hear those teams come under as much fire as the Redskins and I believe FSU works closely with the Seminole tribe as well. I have read some interesting suggestions from fans including Washington Warpath (warpath being used in their fight song), Washington Braves (still Indian related and Skins were originally Boston Braves but less offensive than Redskins), Washington Renegades (could still keep the R logo). Btw....any photos of the new Dolphins logo/uniforms leak yet? They are supposed to unveil them before draft day. I guess it was due time for them to update their flipper logo but could be a disaster. I guess the logo will be a angry Dolphin or something. Wonder if they adopt the Marlins awful colors with the rainbows.

#18 faceman

faceman

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Team:Saints

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

so true and it goes beyond the media. Before the Saints finally won a Super Bowl There were many Saints fans blaming the name or the Superdome being built over
an ancient graveyard. I always responded by saying I blamed bad drafting,bad coaching and bad ownership under original owner John Meacom more. If the name
Saints was a Hex,why have the Angels won a World Series or the Duke Blue Devils won several NCAA championships in basketball?

#19 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I wonder if the Eagles have bad karma from the behavior of our fans? After all, the last time we won anything was a few years before the Santa Claus incident.

#20 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I wonder if the Eagles have bad karma from the behavior of our fans? After all, the last time we won anything was a few years before the Santa Claus incident.

No we have bad karma from poosies like you

#21 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

nope

#22 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

No we have bad karma from poosies like you

Yeah, you're right. It's people like me why teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, Denver and Indianapolis win and we dont. Clown. Also

Bdawk330 has just been added to your ignore list

So dont bother responding to this or anymore of my posts like you've been doing lately. Loser.

#23 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, you're right. It's people like me why teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, Denver and Indianapolis win and we dont.

Makes as much sense as blaming karma. Jinxes aren't real.

#24 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, you're right. It's people like me why teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, Denver and Indianapolis win and we dont. Clown. Also

So dont bother responding to this or anymore of my posts like you've been doing lately. Loser.

Thanks for proving my point kid

#25 CountBlah

CountBlah

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 35,220 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

could you please put me on ignore too?

What will it take to get this done?

#26 Hey Suess

Hey Suess

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Waaaahhhhhh.