Photo
- - - - -

OFFICIAL: Browns hire ex-Chargers HC Norv Turner as OC

browns chargers norv turner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 deevo82

deevo82

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

http://profootballta...ve-coordinator/

After the Cleveland Browns named Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their new head coachWednesday night, the Browns have already begun adding to their new coaching staff.
According to Peter Schrager of FOX Sports, the Browns are expected to hire former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner as their new offensive coordinator. The Chargers on Dec. 31.
Chudzinski served as assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the Chargers under Turner from 2009-2010. It will be Turner’s fifth stop as an offensive coordinator. Turner was the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys from 1991-1993, the Chargers in 2001, the Miami Dolphins from 2002-2003 and the San Francisco 49ers in 2006.

Have seen quite a few people on TATE who wanted Turner as our OC when the new HC comes in but looks like that pipe dream has been shattered. One more step towards the ultimate nightmare of Marty Morningpoop being retained.

#2 SinCityEaglesFan

SinCityEaglesFan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

marty will not be retained. i just dont see it with a new coach

#3 biglou22

biglou22

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,408 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

The Browns are more then welcome to have Norv.
I said it before and I will say it again.
**I want nobody that has ever been a head coach in the NFL before as the head coach of the Eagles.
**I want nobody that has ever been a DC in the NFL before as the Eagles DC.
**And I want nobody that has been an OC in the NFL before as the Eagles OC.

I have seen plenty of all the endless recycled Head coaches, DCs and OCs. No thanks. I'll take my chances with all new young blood.

#4 time2rock

time2rock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,410 posts
  • Fan Since:Dad (RIP)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

If during an interview any candidate that mentions the idea of retaining Marty as OC, Lurie and Howie should immediately get up and walk out of the room. Next !

#5 IggleWalt

IggleWalt

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

If Marty is retained it has everything to do with the new HC and not the Eagles. That said a new HC is going to want his own people. Unless we hire a Reid person Marty is gone.

#6 Golfesv

Golfesv

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I am starting to wonder what if MM is the next coach they haven't let him go and they have not found a HC what if they pull the we couldn't find anyone to fit and MM knows the style we want so we are promoting him to HC....I hope that isn't the case but I could see them pulling crap like this.

#7 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I disagree with this one. Norv is one of the best offensive minds in the game still. His offenses turn around fairly quickly when he is named a coordinator. I wouldn't have minded at all if Turner came here is the OC.

Before the Browns announcement, I read Ray Horton was going to use Turner as leverage to get the head coaching gig in Arizona. But I guess that isn't happening now.

#8 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Good for them. That's right where Turner belongs.

#9 joegus

joegus

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Fan Since:cognizance

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

I am starting to wonder what if MM is the next coach they haven't let him go and they have not found a HC what if they pull the we couldn't find anyone to fit and MM knows the style we want so we are promoting him to HC....I hope that isn't the case but I could see them pulling crap like this.

It's pretty much professional courtesy to let the new head coach pick his own staff. Probably why nothing has been done with current staff. Hire new coach, let him clean house.

#10 TenaciousEagles

TenaciousEagles

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

marty will not be retained. i just dont see it with a new coach

Don't rule it out quite yet. Roseman thinks that cutting Marty would hurt the development of Nick Foles. As much as Marty struggled this year as OC he is still considered a good QB developer by people in the organization.

#11 WetFerret

WetFerret

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Fan Since:83

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Don't rule it out quite yet. Roseman thinks that cutting Marty would hurt the development of Nick Foles. As much as Marty struggled this year as OC he is still considered a good QB developer by people in the organization.

and here we are with the 4th pick. I think "people in the organization" need to farm decisions out to other countries.

#12 Vee

Vee

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

**I want nobody that has ever been a head coach in the NFL before as the head coach of the Eagles.

I have seen plenty of all the endless recycled Head coaches, DCs and OCs. No thanks. I'll take my chances with all new young blood.

I think you're a little crazy. Norv has been successful as an OC everywhere he's been. Dallas, Miami and San Diego. He actually made a Marty Schottemheimer team look like a scoring juggernaut. That's saying a lot.

He would have awesome here as an OC.

#13 mrfitsaro

mrfitsaro

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Recycled guys like Tom Coughlin and Bill Bellicheat? Yeah they never win titles, unlike all those successful college coaches.

#14 mrfitsaro

mrfitsaro

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think you're a little crazy. Norv has been successful as an OC everywhere he's been. Dallas, Miami and San Diego. He actually made a Marty Schottemheimer team look like a scoring juggernaut. That's saying a lot.

He would have awesome here as an OC.

I think Banner just bested his former employer on this move, Turner was probably the best option out there for OC and they missed on him due to not having a head coach in place.

#15 deevo82

deevo82

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Make him the Quarterbacks coach then. I can't take another season of 75% long developing passes and 25% draw run plays.

and here we are with the 4th pick. I think "people in the organization" need to farm decisions out to other countries.

I'm from Scotland - I can select on our behalf.

With the 4th pick the Eagles select Luke Joeckel. Job done!

#16 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think this is a good move by the Browns. Turner has been proven to be a good offensive mind/game plan maker, play caller IMO. Cleveland has put toghter a nice offensive unit toghter for thier staff IMO

#17 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

This should vault Trent Richardson into top 5 next year for you FF geeks

#18 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,359 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

This was a really good move for Banner and the Browns. Norv Turner failed twice as a coach. He always gravitates to developing his QB and the offensive side and has shown he's not really a good head coach. To me he'll be a very good career coordinator, which is what they need.

#19 NocturnalPoisoning

NocturnalPoisoning

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

It amazes me how uninformed some of you are. MM's contract expires very soon, so there's no point in firing him. They just won't resign him. And beyond that, teams rarely fire the entire coaching staff prior to getting the new HC in. What would be the benefit?

#20 PhillyBirds5_36_86

PhillyBirds5_36_86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,658 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

What if they're telling these coaches that Marty will be the OC or part of the staff wether they like it or not?

#21 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

This should vault Trent Richardson into top 5 next year for you FF geeks

He helped carry me to a championship this year. :groovy:

#22 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

That has to be awkward

"You used to be my boss and now I'm your boss"

#23 deevo82

deevo82

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

This was a really good move for Banner and the Browns. Norv Turner failed twice as a coach. He always gravitates to developing his QB and the offensive side and has shown he's not really a good head coach. To me he'll be a very good career coordinator, which is what they need.

Not only is Turner a good QB coach but Chud was the O co-ordinator when Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl - which was one hell of a feather in his coaching cap as Anderson was not the most gifted.

#24 biglou22

biglou22

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,408 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Recycled guys like Tom Coughlin and Bill Bellicheat? Yeah they never win titles, unlike all those successful college coaches.

1 - I love you fans that proudly bring up the VERY LIMITED FEW that do succeed. Would you like to discuss all the other failures ???
You do understand that there are literally HUNDREDS of head coaches that have been hired over the years, MOST recycled failures.

2 - if you read my ENTIRE post you would know that I also dislike bringing in a college coach as there has almost NEVER been a college coach to come in and run successful NFL program in his 1st shot.
Basically ZERO OUT OF A WELL OVER 100.

So yes, there have been a handful of recycled NFL coaches that have come in and won a SB. But most were former DC / OC coordinators given a 1st shot.

#25 AllPhillyFan

AllPhillyFan

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

wow the Browns might become legit in the near future.

#26 fsdawkins20

fsdawkins20

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Eagles can't go into another season with him as the OC. This needs to be a complete overhaul of coaching staff none of this halfway crap.

As for Norv he's back in the role that he should be in. Good for the Browns getting something done while the eagles sit on their thumbs.