Photo
- - - - -

Brian Kelly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 eaglepride

eaglepride

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I heard Merle Reese give a pretty good analysis of Brain Kelly the other day. He said he may lack NFL experience but his strengths are organizing, discipline, and overall take charge leadership qualities. I happen to believe those were AR's strength too. Merle said the key to his success would be hiring experienced coordinators for the every day technical parts of the game. If he is strictly a college coach would he even know any NFL guys to hire or would he bring his ND staff with him? The experienced coordinators/assistants are disappearing quickly now.

#2 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I am baffled by the Eagles chasing career college coaches. This has fail written all over it.

#3 Rome

Rome

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 33,604 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

The more I research Gus Bradley the more I want him, but I wouldn't get the eye squirts if Kelly agreed to coach them.

If for nothing else it would be entertaining watching all the lunatics in TATE (and elsewhere) tear their own guts out over it.

#4 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

The more I research Gus Bradley the more I want him, but I wouldn't get the eye squirts if Kelly agreed to coach them.

If for nothing else it would be entertaining watching all the lunatics in TATE (and elsewhere) tear their own guts out over it.

Within 15 minutes of the announcement everyone in TATE would think Brian Kelly was a coup and the Eagles outsmarted the entire league by stealing him when no other team could pry him from ND.

#5 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 22,461 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I am baffled by the Eagles chasing career college coaches. This has fail written all over it.

I think this search is more about Howie trying to create a name for himself by convicing Lurie to hire a bigger name college coach/coach than hiring the best candidate. I hope I am wrong.

#6 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I think this search is more about Howie trying to create a name for himself by convicing Lurie to hire a bigger name college coach/coach than hiring the best candidate. I hope I am wrong.

You could be right. This is the first time Lurie has trolled the college ranks so extensively, so I'm sure Roseman is behind it (at least in part).

#7 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Interesting point....
Lurie's preference, I believe, would be to hire an up and coming guy so that he doesn't have a situation where an established Coach with past success would run rough shod over Howie.

There is no doubt however, Howie is a major player in this search, and his role as GM and being at the same rank with the eventual Coach, is a major factor in who eventually gets and accepts, an offer to become Coach.

#8 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I don't think Howie has the stones for that.

#9 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Harbaugh is the only recent coach to successfully transition from college to the NFL. Most of the other coaches that tried to transition to the NFL have been total busts..
Prior to Harbaugh you have to go back to Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Ross. I guess Pete Carroll's 2nd transition to the NFL looks good.

#10 bleed_eagle_green

bleed_eagle_green

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

you got that right.... plus who is he going to contact to put on his staff... maybe Bobby Boucher!!!!

I say you go with Jon Gruden... he will bring you to the promise land in 2-3 years... I just dont know if there is an issue out there working for
Don Smolenski and Howie Roseman.

#11 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Harbaugh is the only recent coach to successfully transition from college to the NFL. Most of the other coaches that tried to transition to the NFL have been total busts..
Prior to Harbaugh you have to go back to Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Ross. I guess Pete Carroll's 2nd transition to the NFL looks good.

More interesting, Harbaugh and Carol have NFL ties. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that the only two college coaches to make a relatively successful transition to the pros are the ones who have experience in the league. All the guys the Eagles have gone after have spent their entire careers in AAA. Bizarre.

#12 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 22,461 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

The Eagles were basically used twice for leverage. They need to stay focused on NFL coordinators/coaches, instead of trying to land these college big name coaches. Lurie needs to reel Howie in.

#13 Rome

Rome

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 33,604 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

The Eagles were basically used twice for leverage. They need to stay focused on NFL coordinators/coaches, instead of trying to land these college big name coaches. Lurie needs to reel Howie in.

Three times if you count Bill O'Brien.

#14 Moderator11

Moderator11

Hall-of-Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

He's going back to South Bend, South Bend... I don't think so.

Closed.

:-)