Photo

[News] Longing To Be In Playoffs Again ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
239 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,343 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

It looked like so much fun, this weekend of NFL playoffs. It brought back memories, and it made the hunger even deeper to return. The Eagles need to be back in the playoffs again ...

View the full article

#2 301EaglesFan

301EaglesFan

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

your wish won't come true if they hire gruden or billick that's a fact

#3 CheeseSteakwillybob

CheeseSteakwillybob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Bring in Chucky Gruden through the back door and surprise every eagles fan out there....

#4 jameex

jameex

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

"In the David Akers vs. Asante Samuel Bowl, I'm rooting for Akers to win and advance to the Super Bowl. Just my opinion ..."
Couldn't disagree more, we gave asante money and took his Superbowl that he could have had with the Pats, and does everything we asked of him.than we trade him and have the worst secondary in the league, and he improves Atlanta's to Conference Finals.. Get Deuce his rings, he played hard for us every snap while he was here, he deserves it.

#5 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,164 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I rooting for the Eagles to hire Gus Bradley for next HC he is my top guy now but I would not be mad if we hired Mike Mccoy or Jon Gruden either.

#6 Bdawk1212

Bdawk1212

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

not a big fan of Gruden 93, but i agree that i would very happy with either Bradley or McCoy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until we get the news

#7 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts
  • Fan Since:late 70s

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I want a coach that is self-motivated. Someone who watches endless film and is obsessed with football. Someone who has been able to spend time picking the brains of current NFL & NCAA coaches. Someone who has had some idle time to figure out the different coaches he would hire to be on his staff. It would help if this coach has had some NFL experience. Maybe called his own plays. Maybe someone who knows what it takes to win, Someone who would consider anything but winning the SB a failure. Anyone out there fit this description?

#8 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Joe, you're descibing Gruden.

#9 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

BG, Bradley's D was getting dominated in the intermediate part of the field today. ATL's OC had his team marchingright down the field and SEA's D couldn't seem to stop them. I want to think that Gus told his guys not to give up anything deep and let the middle go? In a very marty style fashion, ATL went away from what was working (in the middle) and that's where SEA was able to gain some ground. I know it's not fair to judge the guy based on one game but from this armchair's point of view, his squad was getting dominated for a good part of the game. I was looking for more I guess.

#10 Space Ace

Space Ace

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Fan Since:FOR LIFE

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yo cheesesteak i agree with you bro, i sure hope they can do that and lead us to the big prize. Get chucky hired, hire his bro as OC, and hire Lovie Smith as DC.

#11 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

PPW, Gruden is old.. he is 49. Plus he makes mean faces. We can't have that here!

#12 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Lol, he makes great faces!! The part where you mention the film watching is where Gruden comes in. I understand that he has insomnia and watching film is how he passes that time.

#13 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Biilick was interviewed for 8 hours. I'm going to be straight I think he is pretty much an a**. He definitely thinks he is the smartest guy that walks into every room. He is hard to take but maybe that is what this team needs. Mediocre play will be unacceptable for him.

#14 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Now I don't see Roseman hiring him because he would put him in his place real quick. Basically Howie doesn't want to hear every day how he is no Ozzie Newsome.

#15 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, C-Ham I don't care for him either. I'll pass.

#16 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Now the top candidates have been made available. Cinn., Denver, Seattle are all out of the playoffs. The college guys already said no thank you. If we don't have any announcements come in shortly things will be getting desperate. The only guy left out there worth looking at that is still in the running would be Roman for S.F. If they aren't announcing a hire in the next day things will be looking bleak. By Thur. it becomes more of who will take the job than who the team wants. Guys are refusing the job as HC of Philly that tells you so much in a nutshell right there.

#17 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

My take. If I was doing my job as part of the Eagles interview team. I would have sat down the longest with Billick and Chip Kelly. My reason would be to soak up info like a sponge. From Billick because he has a lot of NFL experience and knows coaches. Kelly offers his offensive system and I would want to know what he and Belicheck talk about. I don't think the length of the interview matters in their desire to hire anyone ...any more or less. BTW, I also think its in the Eagles best interest that if there is a 2% chance that consider Jon Gruden, that its best if they interview everyone else first. No need to interview him and keep him waiting, you already know what he brings to the table, he will cost more, so see if anyone esle is worth consideration and then talk to him to compare your notes.

#18 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Ham, still 5 teams that need a coach. Thursday means squat. College coaches are staying put... real shocker there!!! You have some GB coaches and I'm sure a few others that can be interviewed. Nobody else seems in a rush... that should tell you something too... no?

#19 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I don't want any coaches from the packers or patriots. Packers are good because of Rodgers, when he played bad they lost hard. As for the patriots unless they are stealing the "man in the hoody" the rest are just airhead pawns. I can't honestly see us going to the play offs any time soon. We have to many players who don't care about that, as long as they get their game checks 16 times a year that's all that matters to them, I doubt they even care if they win or lose.

#20 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

CCL, forget playoffs... its about Superbowl. the last 8 years was about playoffs... I miss the 2002-04 years! The NFC is so bad though that anything can happen next year.

#21 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

You have to make the play offa before you make the Super Bowl.

#22 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

San Diego, Cleveland, Arizona and Jacksonville fired their GMs. So I wouldn't say being lumped in with those messes is ideal.

#23 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

CCL... what is your opinion about the Bengals, Redskins, Vikings and Colts this year. Basically what the Eagles have been over the last 8 years. Some seasons they underachieved or had some bad luck, others like 2008 the planets aligned ...and 2006 where Reid did a great job coaching. Compare that to the teams the Eagles had from 2002-04. This current group of Eagles players has had a ceiling like the teams I mentioned above, with the last two years being underachieving. Its missing a lot of ingredients that true elite teams have. Attitude, experience and talent. Long way to go... but if you are worried about the first step of just making the playoffs. When you play in a division that lacks a true contender, anything can happen. In the end te goal should be more.

Ham, the Bears were 10-6... no coach yet.

#24 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Ham, don't overlook the fact that guys looking to be NFL coaches have to lump us in with those ""messes" So why worry that we would lose out to those teams because we are being patient?

#25 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

Until the team finds a TRUE franchise QB, it won't get much better.

#26 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

I'm alright with the way all the interviewing is going they're not leaving many stones unturned. They're taking the time to talk to lots of guys. The 3 college coaches were just playing the "better their own situation" game and weren't serious about coming here. I imagine that, had Lurie hired a guy the day after firing Reid, everybody would be freaking out that he didn't take enough time. This is a HUGE decision for this organization. Don't you guys think it's better to do ALL the homework before taking the test? I agree with Joemas' take on the Chucky situation, too.

#27 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Sen, what would you say if it ends up being Balt vs. SF? Not exactly franchise QBs. Lots of things need to improve here, not just the QB

#28 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

The Eagles have zero SUPER bowl wins and arguably zero franchise QBs. McNabb was good and did a great job. I mean no disrespect to him, but Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Tom Brady he was not. Neither was Jaws or Cunningham or Vick. So go find a franchise QB and then you have a chance. It won't guarantee it (see Dan Marino, arguably the best QB ever) but with the rules favoring the passing game so much now, it is the way to bring a championship to Philly.

#29 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Last time the Eagles hired a coach ASAP was Kotite!

#30 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Joemas, i certainly cannot disagree with you there. You make a great point! I just think you will be in the hunt EVERY year with a franchise QB, and hopefully win it at least once. You are right. This team has LOTS of holes.