Photo

[News] Chip Kelly Named New Head Coach

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,014 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Chip Kelly, known for possessing strong leadership and one of the most innovative minds in football today, will be the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles - the 21st head coach in the franchi...

View the full article

#2 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

holly .......

#3 JAXEaglesFan

JAXEaglesFan

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

No freaking way! Why? This should be a train wreck for next several years!

#4 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

now bring Lovie Smith as DC and there will be some problems :)

#5 kiddjr9

kiddjr9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Was hoping for Billick but, lets make it work!!!

@Shadycatch25... I like that!!!

vacant wait

#6 bdcgreen4life

bdcgreen4life

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE EAGLES ORGANIZATION IS RUN BY RETARDS!!!!!!!! HAD THE CHANCE TO GET BRADLEY AND WORK OVER OUR DEFENSE, BUT NOOOOO, U MORONS GO OUT AND GET A GIMMICK COACH. NOWING THAT OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS, GIMMICKS DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS IN THE NFL. NOW WE'RE GONNA BE STUCK WITH VICK AND HIS RAG ARM. AGAIN BOO, BOO, BOO, BOO BOO, BOO, BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!TO THE EAGLES FOR THIS BONEHEADED MOVE.

#7 1093718

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Fan Since:1961

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

We may not win right away but you can bet it will be fun to sit in your seat, in late November, in the rain and cold, and watch this team compete. Nice job by the trinity!!!

#8 bdcgreen4life

bdcgreen4life

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

AGAIN, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

That 17.5 point average we had this season was terrible so hope Chip can get us to 27.5 point average his first year

#10 poisoniv22

poisoniv22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Terrible Decision. Terrible Decision. Who is going to come be our D coordinator? With Bradley as head coach I would not have been worried about that as his defensive mind and fire would help build a tough D on its own. Once again we have an offensive minded coach who thinks he is smarter than everyone. Eagles ownership has once again gone for the flashy attention getter instead of the right decision. So disappointed right now.

#11 pickerelus

pickerelus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

One advantage to hiring a head coach from a major college conference is in getting good and sometimes under the radar draft picks. Hopefully, Kelly can do what Jimmy Johnson did for the Cowboys after he left Miami.

#12 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Chip averages an offensive play every 20 seconds

#13 SteelcityCanada

SteelcityCanada

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Does this mean we are gonna be stuck with Vick? I sure hope not

#14 SquireG

SquireG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Wow! Great Job

#15 GoochEagles

GoochEagles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

shady, djax, bryce brown... its gonna be a good year for the offense! hopefully he will draft de'anthony thomas than things will get interesting

#16 originalzman42

originalzman42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I am glad we have a front office that's willing to take a chance to get to the next level. I just don't think
any of the other hires have the upside of this one. Gus looked like a good choice, but Chip has already
been the main man in a high-profile program, and, if you've ever heard him talk, has the smarts to
adjust.

#17 mpo506

mpo506

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Dumbest decision ever. We got someone who will try to implement a college offense in the NFL. The next Steve Spurrier. LURIE PLEASE SELL THIS TEAM NOW!

#18 kevkro64

kevkro64

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm not happy about Chip Kelly but I will still support the Eagles. I hope Oregon counter offers with more money and he changes his mind again. I think the guy is a joke but hope he proves me wrong. And he or his agent leaked the info. Should of heard this from the Eagles first.

#19 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Guess I won't be at any eagles game any time soon, let alone any play offs. The other teams in the NFC east see happy now they don't have to worry about us for at least the next 5 years

#20 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

This could end up being Nick Saban all over again...I hope he drafts well because of he is a bust, we will need some good players to build around. It seemed like we had to convince him to take the job...I don't want a coach who has to be convinced to lead the eagles. I also don't like the idea of a coach who commits to one thing and goes back on his word...not a great way to build character in the locker room.

It all depends on our D coordinator now, as it has since JJ passed away. Was hoping we'd get Gus in here to fix this broken D. Chip will always have a job in NCAA, and I'd his ideas don't translate to the pros, he'll be outta here in under 2 years.

Pessistically reserving final judgment until after halfway through next season, but I am NOT excited about this pick.

#21 phillykeene

phillykeene

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I am glad the eagles made a decision finally on the new HC. I like some of the things he can bring to this offense. First things first.....staff is going to be key to his success. Great leaders surround themselves with a good supporting cast. Be interesting to see what develops over the next few days.

#22 ljboru

ljboru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

wow, really surprised by this. Kelly wasn't my first choice, but i will reserve my verdict on him until i see him in action. i think it is hard to tell if this is a good hire or not. i seem to remember a lot of moans and groans when Andy was hired.

#23 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

This is a great hire. You guys would complain if we hired Bill Belichick and Tom Brady came with him... A few hours ago we were looking at Ken Whisenhunt as our next head coach... This is great.. So excited to see what this hire does for our team personnel wise and how it will translate on the field. Hope Chip gets a GREAT defensive coordinator and looks outside college for options for that position.... Nice job Eagles... This is a great hire...

#24 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Kelly's QBs average 100 rushes in 13 games, do you honestly think that will work here? Vick will get injured and Foles can't run to save his life. Guess we will be the joke of a team that takes the circus act tebow from the jets? Another thing is Kelly hasn't won a game against a good defense, his gimmick offense was failing in college with explains why he is moving to the NFL. His cashing in now since this is his only chance.

#25 medfordindians

medfordindians

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm an Eagles fan from Medford, but I moved to California 6 years ago, and my kids go to PAC 12 schools. If you live on the east coast you probably haven't watched a lot of PAC 12 football, but if you have you would know how amazing Oregon's offense has become. Oregon uses a fast spread offense with many different formations and many types of runs and passes from each formation. You never know what's coming until it's too late... and it comes at you so fast you have very little time to recognize it. Other teams don't know what's hit them. Chip Kelly is an amazing football mind. There is a reason NFL teams have been studying Chip Kelly's offense... it works (to the tune of 50 points a game).

#26 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hopefully he brings in the right coaches,the same would have applied to gus so we need to stay positive and let him show us what he's got.I think he's going to wake up the players.Whoever doesn't is gone, and they need a wake up.Its gotta be better than the slow motion we had before.That being said I think Gus was the way to go but now we all move on and hope theres no regret.

#27 NathanB

NathanB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

For the past couple of years I have watched us be led by a head coach who ran out of answers and had no clue. Most of my infrequent posts on this website were critical of AR and those who blindly continued to support him. Now AR's gone and we have a new head coach with a very good clue as to what he wants to accomplish and a track record of accomplishment. No one knows whether he'll be a good coach for the Eagles, but one thing is for certain - there's a lot of fans here who are proudly willing to share their ignorance.

#28 eaglespheak

eaglespheak

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Fan Since:70s

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

this dude is 46and 7....hope his approach works for Eagles.........we need a DC though,that can turn our D into a D

and a real ST coach......

#29 johnny333

johnny333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

If nothing else, the Eagles will be an exciting team to watch. I believe that IF there is a coach currently available who can take the Eagles to the superbowl, this is the guy. Might not be a fan favorite, since according to the daily news, philly is defensive-minded (prior to Reid) and look where that got the Eagles. They had a great defenses, but rarely went anywhere or made runs for superbowls. With Reid, they were in the running more than they were out of it. Compared to Reid, I think (but only time will tell), Kelly is an upgrade. With Reid, we lost playoff games because we went to conservative and it cost us badly. I like that this guy will keep others guessing and take risks.

Interesting that someone calling themselves "could care less" would declare the Eagles not in the running for the next 5 years. If RG3 comes back to anything like he was this year, the Redskins will be tough. I'm not convinced that anyone else is "in the running" consistently over the next five years. Did you notice that he OWNED his conference the last four years--not the SEC, but used to be owned my different schools he just blew by.
mpo506--disagree. You got an innovative mind. He isn't going to be stuck on the same thing he did at Oregon. He will adjust to the NFL.

Kevkro calls a guy who consistently got his college team in the top 5, a joke. Now, maybe if he coached a team that just got put up there because of the name of the school and its historical reputation, you'd have a point. But, this guy GOT them there. I think that says something.

For all you "defense-minded" people, keep in mind that the best offenses are consistently scoring big points on the best defenses with few exceptions. You have to have an offense that can score in the redzone or your defense isn't going to matter.

#30 PhillyD4218

PhillyD4218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

This is a great hire......................if they make gus bradley the highest paid D. Coor in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!