Photo
- - - - -

What does ATNFL think about the Chip Kelly hire?

bobgriffingsucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
183 replies to this topic

#1 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

You think it was a good move?

How does this affect the NFC East going forward, if at all?

I was on the fence about it in the beginning and still think he seems to be somewhat of a weirdo and a flake but lot of people I respect think it was a great move.

Thoughts?

#2 Gmen2005

Gmen2005

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Honestly don't know much about him. He has a very high tempo offense right? Going to be interesting to see how he translates it into the NFL. He had am amazing record at Oregon so he obviously knows what he's doing. Is Foles the right guy for that offense?

#3 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,951 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Makes me sad, even though Belichick likes him and has even consulted with him. I just fear for where the pro game is headed, the running quarterback is becoming more and more embraced, if I wanted to watch that I would watch more college ball.

Just sucks, seems to me the cerebral element of the game is starting to dwindle, and it's just gonna be about instincts and athleticism.

#4 MERK

MERK

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts
  • Fan Since:Vermeil

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Honestly don't know much about him. He has a very high tempo offense right? Going to be interesting to see how he translates it into the NFL. He had am amazing record at Oregon so he obviously knows what he's doing. Is Foles the right guy for that offense?

Sure, everyone says he's an offensive genius and will work with the personnel he has. I expect a similar offense to New England's.

#5 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

At first I didnt think Foles had a shot in Kellys offense but the more I read on him I'm not sure.

Brady runs a very similar system in NE and he's no athlete. Obviously Foles isnt Brady but mobility wise and height wise they are similar so it could work.

Supposedly Kelly can design several different offenses too and not just the gimmicky stuff.

I'm hoping he brings an OC in with NFL experience just in case to help him with the transition.

#6 pencil face

pencil face

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Another offensive coach? he better bring a good DC, otherwise his offense won't mean **** when the defense can't stop anyone..

#7 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,160 posts
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Big risk, especially if he doesn't bring in an OC/DC who has NFL experience. I was just reading that he's considering Grantham from Georgia as his DC.

Also, as was already mentioned, I'm not sure Foles is the type of QB to run his offense. I saw Oregon go 3 and out in 40 seconds more than once. Very fast, up-tempo

We'll find out soon enough

#8 H-field Hero

H-field Hero

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Makes me sad, even though Belichick likes him and has even consulted with him. I just fear for where the pro game is headed, the running quarterback is becoming more and more embraced, if I wanted to watch that I would watch more college ball.

Just sucks, seems to me the cerebral element of the game is starting to dwindle, and it's just gonna be about instincts and athleticism.

I don't see a mobile QB take over. I can remember a time where Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick was thought to be unstoppable. Now everyone mocks as he throws INT's and gets crushed. At the pro level a QB's biggest strength will be what's between his ears.

My position on Kelly? It's about the boldest move Lurie could have made and given the current state of the team I'm okay with a bold move. Hell, things can't get much worse. Obviously when meeting with Chip Kelly, Mr. Lurie was sold on a lot more than just Oregon's fancy offensive playbook. Everyone knows a lot of that Oregon crap won't work in the NFL. Lurie must be confident that Kelly can adjust and modify his offense and most of all he must believe he's a great leader.

#9 faceman

faceman

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Team:Saints

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

If I were an Eagles fan,my main concern would be does he pull a Steve Spurrier or Bobby Petrino and decides the NFL isn't
for him and bolts back to college.

#10 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

If I were an Eagles fan,my main concern would be does he pull a Steve Spurrier or Bobby Petrino and decides the NFL isn't

Thats my concern as well but at least in Spurrier case he just wasnt willing to put the work in and admitted as much. Kelly doesnt seem to be that type.

I do worry he stays a couple seasons and bounces though.

#11 RUEagle

RUEagle

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts
  • Fan Since:Cognizance

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Cerebral element will always be there. I for one don't mind the movement towards an athletic QB. My issue is the defensive rules, particularly the overly called defensive PI. Sick of seeing WR throw their hands up every single time. The D in the NFL just has no chance with the rule set.

#12 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Pull a Steve Spurrier? Spurrier did the Redskins a favor by resigning. If Kelly sucks as badly as Spurrier did, I hope to God he pulls a Spurrier and resigns.

Being Petrinoed is my fear. Kelly accepted the Bucs job, then flipped. Spoke to the Browns and seemed to be heading there, flopped to the Eagles and seemed to be coming here and then flipped back to college. 2 weeks later he's flopped back to the Eagles.

Will he flip back to college in a year? I hope not, but it's definitely a valid concern.

#13 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,160 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Speculation is that he's waiting for Lane Kiffin to get canned so he can have the USC job.

#14 DogsDieinHotCars

DogsDieinHotCars

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Team:Chiefs

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

I'd be concerned about it.

It seems like he took the job to avoid the incoming sanctions against the Ducks more than actually wanting to coach in Philly. Wouldn't expect him to stick around for long.

#15 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,245 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

That is my biggest concern. I'm not worried about his ability as a coach. I do have concerns about his commitment to the NFL.

#16 TenOfSwords

TenOfSwords

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,800 posts
  • Fan Since:1971

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

How did the hiring of Bud Wilkinson by the Cardinals affect the NFC East race in 1978 and '79?

Of course Wilkinson didn't even make it to the end of '79 - and Kelly might not make it to the end of 2014.

#17 faceman

faceman

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Team:Saints

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Pull a Steve Spurrier? Spurrier did the Redskins a favor by resigning. If Kelly sucks as badly as Spurrier did, I hope to God he pulls a Spurrier and resigns.

Being Petrinoed is my fear. Kelly accepted the Bucs job, then flipped. Spoke to the Browns and seemed to be heading there, flopped to the Eagles and seemed to be coming here and then flipped back to college. 2 weeks later he's flopped back to the Eagles.

Will he flip back to college in a year? I hope not, but it's definitely a valid concern.

I definitely agree about Spurrier. I knew he was destined for failure when he made that comment about NFL coaches putting in too much time
at the office. Bobby Petrino is also a scumbag as a person Imo. I don't believe Kelly is similar in personality or work ethic with either. From what
I've heard he's a workaholic willing to put in the time to do the job. Nick Saban probably would have been a better comparison.

Coaches like Saban,Kelly,Les Miles,Mack Brown and a few others have it made in college. They can recruit most any player they want. They also
don't have to worry about getting fired. In the NFL a coach is 3 consecutive losses away from total mutiny. In college, you can miss on a few
recruits and not miss a lick. If you miss on a precious draft choice in the NFL it could set your team back for years.

Froggy- I don't see the NFL being taken over by dual threat QB's anytime soon. Teams will still invest a lot of their cap room on the position. They
need him to stay healthy if they want to enjoy success over the long haul. RG3 is a good example of what can happen if that team relies on his
running ability too much. Sooner or later, Def. coordinators throughout the league will find better ways to defend the read option and force these
athletic type Qb's to beat them from the pocket.

#18 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Speculation is that he's waiting for Lane Kiffin to get canned so he can have the USC job.

Link?

#19 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Based on everything I've read/heard from, and about him I'm not the least bit concerned about his ability to perform all of the responsibilites of a HC (at any level) or to adapt/adjust his offensive philosophies to the NFL or to the Eagle's personnel including Foles as the QB.

Big risk, especially if he doesn't bring in an OC/DC who has NFL experience. I was just reading that he's considering Grantham from Georgia as his DC.

He has 11 years experience as an NFL defensive coach, 8 as a DL coach (Ind, Hou, Dal) and 3 as a DC (Cleveland).

#20 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,757 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Also, as was already mentioned, I'm not sure Foles is the type of QB to run his offense. I saw Oregon go 3 and out in 40 seconds more than once. Very fast, up-tempo

Someone sounds nervous. With Kelly and Grantham on board we should immediately contend for a National Championship.

#21 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,185 posts
  • Fan Since:1952

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Someone sounds nervous. With Kelly and Grantham on board we should immediately contend for a National Championship.

Well, don't know about competing right away for a championship. But I do agree with the first part of your comment. They do indeed sound nervous. :-) I bet they were all hoping that Lurie would keep Reid for another 3 yrs. They knew what to expect from Reid at every meet. Now they have no idea what Chip will do at any time in his game calling. That is what I like the most about him being our new head coach.He's unpredictable . And inventive from all accounts. That he can make adjustments if they do figure how to stop something.

If he is as successful here, as he was at New Hamshire and than Oregon, than I'll have a hard time thinking he would bolt back to the collage ranks.

#22 birdman#12

birdman#12

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,628 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

The "running QB" hasn't made any inroads into making a deep run in the playoffs or winning a super bowl......3 of the 4 conference championship teams have traditional drop back QB's and chances are, 2 of them will play in the super bowl. Running QB's are exciting and put up big numbers, only to follow it up will a mistake filled game and a loss......the consistency isn't there. Kaepernick is a media favorite right now, but we've seen this before with vick, vince young...etc.

I think the traditional pocket QB who can move around in the pocket and pick apart a defense will never be replaced.....

#23 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

#24 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Other than not wanting to have the E's in Week 1 next year, not concerned at all. They're still the worst team in the East, even if RG3 misses significant time next season (and quite possibly the year after as well).

#25 Dirty 30 Sucks

Dirty 30 Sucks

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,365 posts
  • Fan Since:egg

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Other than not wanting to have the E's in Week 1 next year, not concerned at all. They're still the worst team in the East, even if RG3 misses significant time next season (and quite possibly the year after as well).

Of course a lot can change with how fast an NFL roster can turnover. If they are as good as the Bucs were this year, then it will have been worth it.

#26 LesDawg1978

LesDawg1978

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

It's very possible the Eagles can win the division next year. There's no team in the East that is just head and shoulders above everyone. All teams in this division are suspect. We're not talking Packers, 49ers, Falcons, Pats, Broncos or any team like that. Average teams at best in this division and with the a few changes, Eagles can win right away.

#27 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,160 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Why would I be nervous? The uncertainty is all on the Eagles, not the Giants.

#28 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,757 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Why would I be nervous? The uncertainty is all on the Eagles, not the Giants.

You're right, I've got absolutely no idea what the Eagles season will be like next year with Chip Kelly as HC. We know what to expect from the Giants- pure mediocrity.

#29 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

It's very possible the Eagles can win the division next year. There's no team in the East that is just head and shoulders above everyone. All teams in this division are suspect. We're not talking Packers, 49ers, Falcons, Pats, Broncos or any team like that. Average teams at best in this division and with the a few changes, Eagles can win right away.

And it's also very possible I can get a handy from Ms. Alabama tonight--VERY unlikely, but not totally out of the question...

You're right, I've got absolutely no idea what the Eagles season will be like next year with Chip Kelly as HC. We know what to expect from the Giants- pure mediocrity.

Maybe Kelly can muster up 5 wins next season...................................................................maybe

#30 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,622 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like Paul Westhead