Photo
- - - - -

Sweating the DC hire.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Does Kelly have full control of the DC hire ?

Are they doing a "search" or is it more of a case of someone Kelly already knows and is comfortable with ?

Please tell me they are considering all options (aka Ray Horton).

#2 jReese

jReese

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Fan Since:78'

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Horton is already off the market

#3 VmprBlood

VmprBlood

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ray Horton is going to CLE

#4 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Horton is already off the market

damn that was quick....does he hate Joe Banner yet ?

#5 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

People get too hung up on the big name. Who got excited when Jim Johnson was hired?

We were all psyched when Jim Washburn and Howard Mudd were hired. How did that turn out?

#6 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

People get too hung up on the big name. Who got excited when Jim Johnson was hired?

We were all psyched when Jim Washburn and Howard Mudd were hired. How did that turn out?

Absolutely true ..... well, some of us were psyched. I didn't get the obsession over line coaches then, and still don't. Coordinators are a different story.

#7 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,669 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm pulling for Luther Van Damme.

#8 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Let's not forget we also still need an OC as well.

#9 badmeetsevil

badmeetsevil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Big name or unknown my primary concern is that from the early reports it seems like he is pulling many of the guys from his OU staff.

That's fine and all but I don't want the whole staff to be new to the NFL college coaches. A good mix would be nice. I do like the addition of the nutritionist from OU being the assistant GM or whatever title they gave him here.

I also love that that Kelly is all about building a program, similar to OU, where everything from what you eat, how you practice, and how you play is accounted for. Now I am sure all teams have some monitor and programs for nutrition but this guy comes with high praise.

PRAYING ALL THIS TRANSFERS TO ON THE FIELD SUCCESS!

#10 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

I do like the addition of the nutritionist from OU being the assistant GM or whatever title they gave him here.

I also love that that Kelly is all about building a program, similar to OU, where everything from what you eat, how you practice, and how you play is accounted for.

I think it's terrific. As I said in a thread in TATE, I think this will go a long way to helping fix up a lot of the entitlement issues that have plagued this team for the last few years.

It also shows that Kelly is really in this thing. He's putting a great deal of thought into restructuring the entire football operations in all aspects. Something that was sorely needed.

#11 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think it's terrific. As I said in a thread in TATE, I think this will go a long way to helping fix up a lot of the entitlement issues that have plagued this team for the last few years.

It also shows that Kelly is really in this thing. He's putting a great deal of thought into restructuring the entire football operations in all aspects. Something that was sorely needed.

It was clearly a huge success in college. I hope it can translate into the pros. It is hard to make a 29 year old millionaire with a 2 year guarantee eat what you tell him too. There aren't too many divas in the NCAA and every team in the NFL has a couple.

#12 Operator 7

Operator 7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

You mean we're not keeping Morningwheg?!!

#13 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Nope - Rex Ryan scarfed him right up.

#14 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ha! He can have him. Another year of offensive ineptness for the Jets.

#15 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ha! He can have him. Another year of offensive ineptness for the Jets.

Watch him turn Sanchez around and have a great year now that he's unencumbered by Reid.

Unlikely, but it would be pretty revealing.

#16 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Rex didn't have any say in the matter. The Jets are a total mess. The fact that they won more games than the Eagles is a total indictment of the 2012 season.
Rex is actually a good coach. sorta...

#17 eaglepride

eaglepride

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

That's chip's gig

#18 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's chip's gig

Chip is still going to hire an OC.

#19 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,669 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Unfortunately the Jets stole him away from us... <_<

#20 Iggles

Iggles

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Unfortunately the Jets stole him away from us... <_<

And yet so many fans were worried Howie would *********FORCE********** the new head coach to keep Marty. I wish some of you loved the Phillies. I don't have this "paranoia" instinct anymore. Part of my dream came true in 2008. I'm not as cynical, especially now that "times yours" is going to the midwest to make them a playoff team. More power to Andy Reid!! The Phillies winning in 2008 has cleared a lot of hate personally.

#21 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,669 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

And yet so many fans were worried Howie would *********FORCE********** the new head coach to keep Marty. I wish some of you loved the Phillies. I don't have this "paranoia" instinct anymore. Part of my dream came true in 2008, I'm not as cynical, especially now that "times yours" is going to the midwest to make them a playoff team. More power to Andy Reid!!

I was, of course, being sarcastic in my post... just wanted to get that on the record.

What came true in 2008?

#22 Iggles

Iggles

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

I was, of course, being sarcastic in my post... just wanted to get that on the record.

What came true in 2008?

It's lost on you.... it's a sport called major league baseball. The sport I really fell in love with first before the NFL when I was eight in 1979. I've seen two World Series championships in my lifetime. It keeps me sane. I remember when the Phillies won the 2008 World Series, and how I felt. Would I feel better if the Eagles finally pulled it off?? I don't know.

#23 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,669 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

It's lost on you.... it's a sport called major league baseball.

I haven't watched MLB since about 1979. I'm also not a Phillies fan anyway... (if I did watch). I'd be a Baltimore fan, if I did watch.

#24 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,415 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

I haven't watched MLB since about 1979. I'm also not a Phillies fan anyway... (if I did watch). I'd be a Baltimore fan, if I did watch.

That's ok, nobody's perfect....at least you're supporing the correct football team... ^_^

#25 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,415 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Whoever Chip and the Eagles' executives settle on, I hope he is an aggressive, attacking, and traditional DC in his basic philosophy....I don't mind a little innovation in the moment (in fact I like that), but please, no narrow minded approach or gimmicky defense. Chip's stated approach to offense, is the same approach I'd like to see from the defense....equal opportunity stoppers. How the Eagles defense CONSISTENTLY stops opponents from play to play doesn't matter as much as the fact that they CONSISTENTLY stop them.....which of course means stopping the run and the pass....not only going after one of them.

#26 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Chip's stated approach to offense, is the same approach I'd like to see from the defense

That's essentially what he said in his PC, that it would be an 'attacking' defense. He said he wants that in all three phases, in fact.

I agree - it matters much less what the specific scheme is than the idea of doing whatever is necessary to get stops, and fitting the system to the talent on hand. I'd personally love to see an approach that is a hybrid 3-4/4-3 depending on situations, kind of like the Ravens use. or something like Carroll's 4-3 Under scheme, but right now the secondary isn't close to being the type necessary. Had we taken Earl Thomas, and then drafted Milliner this year, we'd be half way to the kind of big, physical secondary needed for that.

Whatever it is, just make it physical and nasty. On that note, it is imperative that the Linc becomes a place teams fear coming into - we'll never see anything like the Vet again (unfortunately), but maybe Chip can develop something close to that. I wish the Linc had never been built, and we still played at that old dump - what an awesome home advantage.

But, then Lurie would have a few less sheckles in his bank account. Oh well.

#27 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

That's essentially what he said in his PC, that it would be an 'attacking' defense. He said he wants that in all three phases, in fact.

I agree - it matters much less what the specific scheme is than the idea of doing whatever is necessary to get stops, and fitting the system to the talent on hand. I'd personally love to see an approach that is a hybrid 3-4/4-3 depending on situations, kind of like the Ravens use. or something like Carroll's 4-3 Under scheme, but right now the secondary isn't close to being the type necessary. Had we taken Earl Thomas, and then drafted Milliner this year, we'd be half way to the kind of big, physical secondary needed for that.

Whatever it is, just make it physical and nasty. On that note, it is imperative that the Linc becomes a place teams fear coming into - we'll never see anything like the Vet again (unfortunately), but maybe Chip can develop something close to that. I wish the Linc had never been built, and we still played at that old dump - what an awesome home advantage.

But, then Lurie would have a few less sheckles in his bank account. Oh well.

I am just a bit concerned about how the few talented players we have on defense will fit into the scheme. Kendricks, Graham, Ryans, Cole, and Curry...these guys may not be cut out for a 3-4. Cox is a future stud 4-3 DT, moving him to DE in a 3-4 is a big unknown.
However...clearly the defense needs a major overhaul and maybe it would be for the best. I guess we will find out soon enough.

#28 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

I am just a bit concerned about how the few talented players we have on defense will fit into the scheme. Kendricks, Graham, Ryans, Cole, and Curry...these guys may not be cut out for a 3-4. Cox is a future stud 4-3 DT, moving him to DE in a 3-4 is a big unknown.
However...clearly the defense needs a major overhaul and maybe it would be for the best. I guess we will find out soon enough.

You know, I don't think it matters much the first year - this will be more a year of sorting out what we have and establishing the new system. I would expect some early struggles, but would hope to see a strong finish as the players buy into the system and Kelly begins to weed out those who don't or can't.

2014 is the year to target.

#29 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,669 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

That's ok, nobody's perfect....at least you're supporing the correct football team... ^_^

I grew up in Maryland, my 5th grade teacher was Rick Dempsey's sister in-law and I knew some of the Orioles at the time when they were playing in the World Series (vs. Pittsburgh).

#30 Dawkins718

Dawkins718

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Fan Since:early 80

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Not for nothing but Greg Williams is out there or maybe see about bringing spags back