Photo
- - - - -

2013 Pro Bowl: NFC wins 62-35

afc nfc hawaii

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 AlpineEagle

AlpineEagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,561 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

AFC

vs

NFC

#2 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,567 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

This game needs to be deleted. Turn the Pro Bowl into a paper honor, like being All Pro. Name an All NFL team, combined AFC and NFC then name the second team and do away with the game all together.

#3 Gmen2005

Gmen2005

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I couldn't be more excited for this game! :excited:

#4 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,567 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I couldn't be more excited for this game! :excited:

Let Eli blow out his ACL and see how exicted you are...

#5 EAGLES8690

EAGLES8690

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

This game needs to be deleted. Turn the Pro Bowl into a paper honor, like being All Pro. Name an All NFL team, combined AFC and NFC then name the second team and do away with the game all together.

It's all for fun.If the players want to risk injury that's on them.They should bring back the skills competition though.

#6 D-Shiznit

D-Shiznit

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Eli being Eli

#7 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,567 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

The number of replies in this thread, to this point in the thread, is equal to the worth of the game itself... :lol:

#8 mike030270

mike030270

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,658 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

NFL.com is saying it went well but from this thread it seems otherwise?

#9 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,567 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I watched 2 or 3 plays. Best play of the game was when NFC Center Jeff Saturday lined up for the AFC at center so he could snap to Peyton Manning one final time. Pretty cool to see.

#10 Shocker54

Shocker54

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,935 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I had royal rumble going on my laptop and the game was just boring.

Made me miss the days when the eagles used to send at least a handful of guys to this game

#11 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,567 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

They need to do away with the game and just spend a week in Hawaii and do the old school position competitions like they used to. Weight lifting, passing skills, fastest man, flag or touch football... things like that.

Those things are 10 times more entertaining than the Pro Bowl.

#12 Shocker54

Shocker54

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,935 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think they should make it a pickup game and have a draft.

#13 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,844 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

I think they should make it a pickup game and have a draft.

Would be much more entertaining if they did that like the NHL with the skills competition.

#14 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

As far as effort, the game was a step in the right direction. Still pretty boring though, especially for me as I really only watched to see Julio Jones light it up but he lined up first with Cruz, played a few snaps without being targeted and wasn't seen again on the field, I assume he tweaked something.

#15 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,844 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Maybe if they raised the stakes a little? The winning team of the NFC-AFC game host the Super-bowl the following season.

NFC wins in 2013 so in 2014 the NFC Champs have the SB at home. Maybe guys would play a little harder.

#16 Shocker54

Shocker54

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,935 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Would be much more entertaining if they did that like the NHL with the skills competition.

You would have to hold it a week in advance so the teams could at least practice together for safety purposes

Plus a week of debate of which team is better would be exciting

You have the starting qb from each conference as the captains

#17 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,844 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

You would have to hold it a week in advance so the teams could at least practice together for safety purposes

Plus a week of debate of which team is better would be exciting

You have the starting qb from each conference as the captains

It would still work. Draft players at the end of the regular season. Captains could be two good players from a non-playoff team. Draft players and whoever makes the SB gets replaced.

#18 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,567 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Maybe if they raised the stakes a little? The winning team of the NFC-AFC game host the Super-bowl the following season.

NFC wins in 2013 so in 2014 the NFC Champs have the SB at home. Maybe guys would play a little harder.

That wouldn't work for the NFL. Suppose the Eagles win the NFC Championship, having the Super Bowl in Philadelphia, while cool for Philadelphia, wouldn't be great for the league. The Eagles have a fairly small stadium (as mandated by the city).

#19 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

That wouldn't work for the NFL. Suppose the Eagles win the NFC Championship, having the Super Bowl in Philadelphia, while cool for Philadelphia, wouldn't be great for the league. The Eagles have a fairly small stadium (as mandated by the city).

There's also the preparation problem. Cities prepare for these things years in advance, what happens when a team like the Giants make a run out of nowhere and are hosting. Obviously New York is more equipped to deal with something like that than say Baltimore.

I do agree that some kind of value to the game has to be added if it's meant to be enjoyed. The only thing I can think of at the moment is altering draft positions. The first tie breaker for draft picks would be by conference.For example, the NFC wins, so the Eagles and Lions would be picking in front of the Raiders. The other possibility would be to have it effect only the playoff teams and have the winning conference from the Pro Bowl pick first rather than having the actual winner pick second. For example the, NFC wins the Pro Bowl and then the 49ers win the Super Bowl. The 49ers would pick 31st instead of 32nd. This does lead to the potential problem of the rich getting richer, but I don't think the difference would be great enough to cause too much of an issue as it is only one slot.

I still miss the QB Challenge, I looked forward to that every year for a while.

#20 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

There's also the preparation problem. Cities prepare for these things years in advance, what happens when a team like the Giants make a run out of nowhere and are hosting. Obviously New York is more equipped to deal with something like that than say Baltimore.

I do agree that some kind of value to the game has to be added if it's meant to be enjoyed. The only thing I can think of at the moment is altering draft positions. The first tie breaker for draft picks would be by conference.For example, the NFC wins, so the Eagles and Lions would be picking in front of the Raiders. The other possibility would be to have it effect only the playoff teams and have the winning conference from the Pro Bowl pick first rather than having the actual winner pick second. For example the, NFC wins the Pro Bowl and then the 49ers win the Super Bowl. The 49ers would pick 31st instead of 32nd. This does lead to the potential problem of the rich getting richer, but I don't think the difference would be great enough to cause too much of an issue as it is only one slot.

I still miss the QB Challenge, I looked forward to that every year for a while.

I kind of like this idea. And yeah, there should be something more at stake.

I think MLB's idea of tying in home advantage in the World Series is a little much, but it's the correct general idea - stake something on the outcome.

The Draft might indeed be a good place to start. And/or winner-take-all payout.

The bottom line is, and we've been through it again and again, is that football is just not a sport that's conducive to having an all-star game. So if there's going to in fact be one, they've got to dress it up somehow and make it mean something.

From what I watched last night - about a half - the game was at least better-played than last year's fiasco. The only thing I noticed last night that was kind of questionable was the pass rush effort, but nobody wants to really nail the quarterback evidently. It wasn't a true NFL game, but it was a reasonable representation of one, I guess.

#21 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Bring the dodgeball back

#22 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Eli Manning threw a pick 6 :roll:

#23 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think the Pro-Bowl game might get some more people intrested if it was held at current nfl stadiums. Kinda like what the MLB does. Rotate it so every city gets to host the game. I bet there would be alittle more intrest in the game IMO.

What are your thoughts about that?

#24 RPeeteRules

RPeeteRules

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think the Pro-Bowl game might get some more people intrested if it was held at current nfl stadiums. Kinda like what the MLB does. Rotate it so every city gets to host the game. I bet there would be alittle more intrest in the game IMO.

Interesting thought, but I think more players would drop out if they had to go to a bad weather field in the end of January to play.

#25 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

They tried holding it in the same city as the Super Bowl a couple years ago and nobody wanted to come

#26 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I remember the 1979 Pro Bowl in L.A. It was the last of the Pro Bowls before the game was moved to Hawaii. The Coliseum was mostly empty (38,333 in attendance), and the game had a very apathetic feel to it. I still remember Wilbert Montgomery playing in that game.

#27 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,732 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

It was pretty classy to let Saturday snap it to Peyton one last time before officially retiring.

#28 Atlanta11

Atlanta11

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

It was pretty classy to let Saturday snap it to Peyton one last time before officially retiring.

I dont care what your post says, I love your photo

#29 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

By the way, the Pro Bowl MVP trophy looks a lot nicer (and more expensive) than the AFC and NFC Conference Championship Trophies, which look awfully cheap.

#30 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,700 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Eli Manning threw a pick 6 :roll:

Nice try
:lol: