Photo

[News] Offseason Preview: Linebacker

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,267 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

The Eagles have decided on their new head coach. Now, it's time to start retooling the roster for the 2013 season. We continue our series analyzing each position group with a look at the linebacker...

View the full article

#2 Brodieman687

Brodieman687

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

We'd have 3 starters if they'd just kept Rolle. Good luck to Rolle in Pittsburgh....

Oh, and as intriguing as it would be to switch to a 3-4, we have spent years drafting the personnel for a 4-3 With our depth at DT and prospects at DE, combined with the fact that we only have 2 starting linebackers on our team, a switch to 3-4 seems foolish, unless we trade some of our 4-3 talent away and get some players like Daryl Washington from the Cardinals. I feel like our trades and moves need to be focused on shoring up safety, rather than trying to create a need at LB and fill it.

#3 flyineagle6477

flyineagle6477

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

we should have got berfict hes a stud

#4 bubinga202

bubinga202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

r u kiding me. ? Rolle. Rolle has alot of heart but that did for him when it came to sheding blocks . the dude was way to small

#5 bringit91

bringit91

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

This article is bull...Demeco Ryans gave up at the end of the year and quit. Kendricks got blasted at the point of attack. Jordan was unproductive. Chaney flat out stinks. Matthews is a practice squad guy.

#6 bringit91

bringit91

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Brodieman if Brian Rolle wants to play in the NFL he has a better chance of playing safety. He has the speed. However he is too small to play linebacker and is a redzone liability.

#7 medfordindians

medfordindians

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Matthews played for Chip Kelly at Oregon, and he was rock solid Obviously he was thrown into being a starter too soon in 2011. He bulked up and he played well this past year. He's in his prime now, at 24 years old. I think he'll get a good look this year. Linebacker was one of our biggest areas of need last year, but this year the big holes in defense are in the secondary.

#8 Brodieman687

Brodieman687

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

I dont understand where all these Rolle haters are coming from....if you remember correctly, he was the best LB on our team just over a year ago (not saying much).

He tackles with leverage, and he meets the runner in the backfield. I don't know what more you want out of him, but you won't get that much out of most of our LB's.

Oh, and also to say "he's to small" is ignorant. While i agree that being tall and huge can be helpful, you can play way above your size, as Dawkins showed us.

If Dawkins were drafted today, you'd all side with Howie and say "he's too small". If you watch Rolle, he was a game time player, and if he gets a chance in pittsburgh, he'll prove all you naysayers wrong. I just wish he were proving you wrong while in eagles' green

#9 phillykeene

phillykeene

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

All of the defensive position especially LB are going to come down to who is our new DC and what kind of alignment is he going to employ. 4-3, 3-4 or a hybrid of some sort. Kendricks to me is our only quality starting LB. I would look to move Ryans, Chaney, Matthews, and Jordan. All have question marks and if we are moving to a new era than lets start with players that will fit the new system whatever that may be. There are alot of quality LB in this years draft. Hopefully, we can move a few of these guys for picks or package in a trade or two to acquire talent that will fit the new DC vision. I have accepted "rebuilding mode" for this season; I just want to get some sense of the new regime moving forward. NEED a new DC before anymore can be decided however.

#10 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I agree with Phillykeene that we need a d-coordinator to make these decisons. I don't agree that Kendricks is our only LB worth keeping, I think Ryans has done as good, if not a better job than Kendricks. Ryans had lots of TFL and was a real leader. Kendricks has potential but there are 2-3 TD plays that are almost directly attributable to kendricks' bad angle or discipline resulting in him getting jukes out of his pants.

Keep Kendricks and Ryans at this point, all others are expendable

#11 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Don't pick on Kendricks our best draft pick and don't forget a ROOKIE That didn't play like one and will improve, so don't start including him in you're criticism of our LBs .They are the last of our problems when we had the worst secondary putting way too much pressure on them so back off bringit

#12 bringit91

bringit91

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Bckarpman....I aint picking on kendricks. He looks good is space and played well in the nickel, but if he wants to start in the base defense he needs to be stronger at the point of attack and help set the the line of scrimmage. Demeco Ryans played well until they fired Washburn and then his play really declined along with his effort. I was really upset with the effort this team showed down the strectch and the linebackers were playing awful.

#13 bringit91

bringit91

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I am more upset with Andy Reid because he didnt let Kendricks blitz and show if he could pressure the quarterback. He was supposed to be a good outside passer rusher but we never saw it.