Photo
- - - - -

Pat Shurmur - An Interesting Pick, No?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rome

Rome

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,575 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I like it. I was concerned about Kelly running a freak show offense and it's reassuring that he's getting a guy who not only is adept at mentoring young QB's (Sam Bradford, TBS) but who also doesn't look at the run like it's an ugly stepsister.

Plus he has a ton of NFL experience including an intimate knowledge of the Eagles.

Good hire if true, Dave.

#2 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I agree Rome.
Kelly's most important hire by a wide margin is DC imo. Grantham and the Giants LB coach are the only two guys that I believe are currently being looked at (the Alabama DC said he wasn't interested).
I don't know how interested we were in Horton or the guy Seattle hired.

#3 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,300 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Much was written up about Jon Gruden flirting with the idea of becoming Oregon's OC when Chip coached there. I don't see why bringing Shurmur here is such a radical idea.

#4 mlodj

mlodj

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,691 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Is he fiery?

#5 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Much was written up about Jon Gruden flirting with the idea of becoming Oregon's OC when Chip coached there. I don't see why bringing Shurmur here is such a radical idea.

It isn't radical at all. That being said, they have very different offensive philosophies. I like the fact that Shurmur is so experienced. I like him as OC although he was clearly in over his head as a HC.
I don't like the fact that Roseman and Shurmur have the same agent...

#6 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,963 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

As I wrote on TaTe, very uninspiring but if that's what Kelly chooses, fine. The guy is merely a product of the old boy network. He failed as a head coach, failed as an OC, I don't see any evidence of great young QB mentoring, I don't know where the hell that comes from. Weeden blows, a guy I assume he hand picked, Bradford has not lived up to his hype and certainly did nothing great under Shurmur, and McNabb ended his career not knowing the rules of the game, fat and out of shape most of his time here, and had poor fundamentals that should have been corrected early on (though Mcnabb's laziness and Reid's coddling factor in as well.) I assume Shurmur knows nothing of Kelly's system. Whatever. I trust Chip and he'll certainly be the real OC, but I don't get the excitement over this guy.

#7 owensaws

owensaws

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I like it. I was concerned about Kelly running a freak show offense and it's reassuring that he's getting a guy who not only is adept at mentoring young QB's (Sam Bradford, TBS) but who also doesn't look at the run like it's an ugly stepsister.

Plus he has a ton of NFL experience including an intimate knowledge of the Eagles.

Good hire if true, Dave.

If you have looked at Kelly's track record is that his system is based on run first - Shurmer is not going to be his balance amazing how people think his system is pass happy it is not is based on fast paced play calling and alot of running

#8 bleed_eagle_green

bleed_eagle_green

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

As I wrote on TaTe, very uninspiring but if that's what Kelly chooses, fine. The guy is merely a product of the old boy network. He failed as a head coach, failed as an OC, I don't see any evidence of great young QB mentoring, I don't know where the hell that comes from. Weeden blows, a guy I assume he hand picked, Bradford has not lived up to his hype and certainly did nothing great under Shurmur, and McNabb ended his career not knowing the rules of the game, fat and out of shape most of his time here, and had poor fundamentals that should have been corrected early on (though Mcnabb's laziness and Reid's coddling factor in as well.) I assume Shurmur knows nothing of Kelly's system. Whatever. I trust Chip and he'll certainly be the real OC, but I don't get the excitement over this guy.

I agree with you Runtherock... I think he will be hired to keep the yahoos out there from not freaking out that there is no NFL experience on the team.
He will be a puppet when it comes to running the offense... Kelly will be doing the play calling. The thing that will be crucial... hiring a DC... that will be very interesting.

#9 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I agree with you Runtherock... I think he will be hired to keep the yahoos out there from not freaking out that there is no NFL experience on the team.
He will be a puppet when it comes to running the offense... Kelly will be doing the play calling. The thing that will be crucial... hiring a DC... that will be very interesting.

That's completely ridiculous.

If he's hiring a 'puppet' to do his bidding and is remotely concerned with what the 'yahoos' are saying, then we have a HC who is doomed to be an abject failure. I certainly hope that Kelly is a bit above idiocy like that.

Shurmur would not even be on my radar as far as ideal choices for OC - I don't see what he's done that's so special, and don't even know what his 'signature' is as far as scheme. To me, his stock was probably unjustly inflated from being associated with Reid, like everything associated with him. I sure as hell hope that doesn't have anything to do with his being brought in.

Having said that, I trust Kelly to do the right thing, and having a guy who's been an NFL HC and helped design pro offenses is far from the worst thing he could do there.

#10 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,527 posts
  • Fan Since:2015

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

he got below average results in st. louis and cleveland. i know, i know, it was the personnel... spare me the excuses

#11 Rome

Rome

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 33,575 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

His quarterback won ROY. His RB ran for 1,400-plus yards.

#12 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

His quarterback won ROY. His RB ran for 1,400-plus yards.

his quarterback this year looked completely lost and he only squeezed 950 yards out of trent richardson. one game he only ran richardson 8 times (to be fair there's a possibility richardson was hurt that game).

#13 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

The way I see it, Shurmur is going to lend experience and help implement Chip's scheme. I am fine with the move.

#14 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

his quarterback this year looked completely lost and he only squeezed 950 yards out of trent richardson. one game he only ran richardson 8 times (to be fair there's a possibility richardson was hurt that game).

...and they played for the Cleveland Fing Browns.

#15 mav81

mav81

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Watching a Pat Shurmur team gives me constipation, but I trust Chip.

#16 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

...and they played for the Cleveland Fing Browns.

so the uniform, not the coach, matters?

interesting take...

#17 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,586 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Outside of Duce & Ted Williams, anybody associated with Reid is going to give me pause. But as others have said, as long as Chip is doing the actual playcalling & Shurmur is only filling what is essentially an advisory role, then I'm OK with it.

#18 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Outside of Duce & Ted Williams, anybody associated with Reid is going to give me pause. But as others have said, as long as Chip is doing the actual playcalling & Shurmur is only filling what is essentially an advisory role, then I'm OK with it.

then why even give him the title OC? shurmur did not have an OC his first year in cleveland. (the second year he had brad childress)

#19 Ohio

Ohio

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

then why even give him the title OC? shurmur did not have an OC his first year in cleveland. (the second year he had brad childress)

The title is irrelevant. I look a the Shurmur hire as being someone who with NFL experience who will assist Kelly as he transitions to the pro level. He wont call plays etc as the offense will essentially be Kellys. A safe, conservative choice.

Ohio Eagle_smiley.jpg

#20 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yuck.

#21 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

so the uniform, not the coach, matters?

interesting take...

except that wasn't my take. The point is that you referenced the ineptitude of Shurmur's offense with the Cleveland Browns while ignoring the ineptitude with which the organization is run and the complete and total lack of talent the offense actually has.

#22 Rome

Rome

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 33,575 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I wanna hear Dave's answer! I don't care what you Cowboys fans think.

PS: Go Baltimore.

:D

#23 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

except that wasn't my take. The point is that you referenced the ineptitude of Shurmur's offense with the Cleveland Browns while ignoring the ineptitude with which the organization is run and the complete and total lack of talent the offense actually has.

well, personally I think Trent Richardson is pretty good. I understand he was injured this year, though, so it's hard to gauge how much that was a factor in the playcalling.

#24 Erie

Erie

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,397 posts
  • Fan Since:Jaws

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

I respect the move. It does ground Chip in what works in the NFL has he innovates. I just didn't expect a Reid guy to get hired back so soon.