Photo

[News] On Road To ... The Senior Bowl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,862 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

We have seen head coach Chip Kelly in a press conference, in various media moments, shaking hands with alumni and in a casual moment or two. Now, with Senior Bowl practices beckoning, we start to learn what he's looking for to build the 2013 Eagles into contenders ...

View the full article

#2 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

So Pat is coming back huh?

Hoping he can help Foles be great then.

#3 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

4-3 3-4 it doesn't truely matter to me both can be good/great with the right coach and players I just want the Eagles to have a respectable D again

#4 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

woo hoo! No more MM, Bowles, April.....the envisceration is now complete!!!

#5 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Crazy that Chip Kelly is already one of the top paid coaches in the NFL with his 5yr 32.5mil contract. Seems like a huge amount for a HC that has never coached at the NFL level

#6 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Jim Herrmann from Giants Linebackers coach as Eagles new DC?? Well he was on a Super Bowl team last year and he coached linebackers which is another plus. Would bring NFL experience to Kelly's side. I want a shut down powerhouse D that is feared by quarterbacks and anyone with the ball at that.

BG, guess we can call him daddy big bucks now huh....

#7 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Shady...is JimHerrmann officailly hired???? Last I heard he was just interviewing

#8 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

No comment from Eagles staff

#9 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

USA today:

"Shurmur's style doesn't seem to fit with Kelly's up-tempo scheme, but Kelly plans on making modifications to his offense to adapt to the NFL, particularly with Nick Foles at quarterback."

This is also good news. Bye Bye Vick.

call him Chip Whopper....

#10 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Jhop...I don't understand people concerns with Shurmur as OC.... Yes he is completely diffferent then Kelly in coaching style but that can be good to different approaches(we saw what the smae mindset could do when AR/MM were together). Also I'm almost 95% sure Kelly is going to be calling the plays Shurmur is pretty good with QBs

#11 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm not trying to say Foles is anything like Brady, but imagine Foles running our Eagles offense similar to how Brady runs an offense. I think Foles' ability to read defenses is definitely above average in that regard.

#12 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I think Kelly with his spread read option attack and Shurmur traditional West coast O could blend together nicely making a unique O for us

#13 gdibig

gdibig

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I keep hearing Jaws (and others) talk about Vick's "mobility". Did they actually watch him this season try to outrun 325-pound D-linemen and getting caught from behind? Maybe up to even three years ago, the "mobility" argument was valid, but no longer. He is an aging, slowing, running QB with a decently strong arm, but questionable accuracy. His main fault is when he's scrambling, he's always looking downfield to run, not throw. Foles main plus is that when scrambling, he's looking downfield to throw, not run. I'm not saying Foles is the guy, but based on Vick's last 2 1/2 years, I'm pretty sure he isn't.

#14 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

bg...at this point, I'll take anyone over MM. Shurmer didn't have much to work with in CLE, but they were in LOTS of games that they lost by a TD or less

#15 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Chip gets Whopper deal. He plans to pay us Tuesday for a cheeseburger today...

#16 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I hope they release Vick, I don't even think he can learn another offense at this point, he's never been a "SMART" QB Andy Reid got everything out of him and it's time to move on from another failed experiment.

#17 big5bdawk

big5bdawk

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I watched that NT from Georgia throw Barrett Jones around. Perhaps he could be a target in the 2nd-3rd round, if still available. Foles will be a SPECIAL QB for us. I think he was a positive factor in Chip's desire to be here. I want Stoneburner in an Eagles uniform next year, because I feel he has potential as a COMPLETE TE in this league, which is rare.

#18 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

>>BG93: Reflecting on the 2012 season, Eagles were actually worse than the 4-12 record posted. Several of the narrow wins were just the same as a L. Reality might be Eagles are a 2-14 team. This is an important perspective when looking up and looking ahead. Thinking of the Eagles as only 8-8 is a mistake...I think 2-14 is more accurate and realistic.

Next, we have to look at how the Eagles got there. And, why they stayed there despite acquisition of free agents and specialty assistant coaches ( Washburn/Mudd).

And, we have to decide is Chip Kelly is truly a change of course? Or, a continuation of the same pattern of errors.

If Chip Kelly turns in a 1-15 season, lets not act surprised or disappointed. The Andy Reid led Eagles simply rotted from the head down.

#19 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

>>mike1023: you watched 4 team play yesterday that could not have been farther from the "pattern" of speedy smurfs espoused for years by Reid and backed by Lurie and Roseman. You saw a completely re-worked Ravens OL and a team that wasn't afraid the change OC in mid season. In SF you saw a team with big, strong players, an ultra mobile QB and a commitment to a ground attack. The Andy Reid designed Eagles--the INNOVATION MODEL--had very little in common with the 4 most successful teams in the NFL. We'll also note that none has a lawyer running personnel...

Lurie reminds me of a nutty guy who decides he'll build an airplane make of concrete...and decides to fly it...

#20 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Jim Hermann withdrew and decided not to become an eagle. not that i can be sure he was asked, but...

#21 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

so far the last big money deals the eagles made didn't exact pan out. nnamdi, desean, vick.... let's hope Kelly's breaks the trend. it's a staggering amt of money...

#22 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Woody, I think I'll wait until training camp to gauge where this team is heading, a win is a win no matter how ugly it is, but we have to manage expectations because this Move has created more questions than answers.

I agree the 49ers and Ravens were pretty much the opposite of the Eagles, That's how Football should be played, The bigger physical teams won yesterday and I don't see us getting bigger or more physical under Kelly.

#23 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

>>Jhop: Vick's last 2 seasons as starter don't any future consideration as a starter in the NFL. He is a quality back-up and may have a handful of stunning games left.

When Reid drafted Nick Foles, I was thrilled and wanted him to start in 2012. Foles fits the pattern on a modern / contemporary QB. He has 'Peyton Manning' size and seems to show an ability to make reads and adjustments. If he can evolve a better deep pass, he'll be all the QB that any team needs.

Scott Mitchell playing for the Lions was the first basketball player sized QB to make an impression in the NFL.

#24 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

wood, i just hope kelly sees it that way with vick. My guess is the $ he's owed, it won't matter what anyone thinks of Vick's future as an Eagle. Simply can't afford what he's owed...and we're better off keeping TE as backup, Foles as starter if he wins the job, and drafting a QB as #3 to develop.

#25 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

>>mike1023: I wish I could generate some optimism about the 2013 Eagles. Spuds' stories make me nauseous. IF the Eagles had hired an old hand like "Lovie Smith", I'd feel pretty confident that I'd enjoy watching the defense and that the Eagles would contend for the play-offs. "Gus Bradley" might have had a higher ceiling than that. " Bruce Arians" was another choice to run the team that would have reflected football sense.

Lurie has bet the farm on Howie Roseman. Bright people, especially the young ones, always believe that intelligence more than makes up for lack of experience. I have never known the school of hard knocks to spare anyone a full education. Howie has the owner's blessing and indulgence. Until Chip & Howie show can give me results---I think the Eagles are entering a very bleak era.

#26 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

how many chips can a woodchip chip if a woodchip did chip wood?

#27 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

>>Jhop: could help but notice how effectively all 4 play off teams used the TE. have said for many seasons, Celek is an ideal #2 TE..and team has sorely missed a #1 TE. Wow, did Pitta take a licking and keep in ticking.
How about Pollard on defense? OLD SCHOOL PLAYER.

Loved it that 2 elite QBs ( Brady & Ryan) were fed to the hogs yesterday.

#28 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts
  • Fan Since:late 70s

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

"Hey Woody, am going to steal your girlfriend"
Interesting points you bring. A couple things I disagree with
1. Vick does NOT make a good backup. Skill set and mentality is all wrong. He is a starter or bust.
2. My take... Reid, Banner & Howie are in a room together. Howie is not the "alpha male"
3. The Eagles issues run deeper than 2011-12. There is a reason why those two seasons were forced to occur. Years of drafting the same position first and not replacing any of your leaders from the Superbowl squad.

#29 Snorpus Blart

Snorpus Blart

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Team:Jaguars
  • Fan Since:SHUT UP

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

testing

#30 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

yes jwood, i know you loved watching the harbowl come to fruition yesterday....and taking all the STD marbles.

Pitta is solid, I've stated he's this year's Ballard, although V Davis also had a hell of a game. Brady was frazzled & uninspired, more or less apathetic. Strange game that was, but good for both Harbaugh's. They deserve it.