Photo
- - - - -

Jason Garrett On His Way Out In Dallas?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,822 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

https://twitter.com/...781459821535232

Jason Garrett isn't calling offensive plays. Bill Callahan is calling the plays.

#2 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,135 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

no....not yet.

Garrett needed to lose the OC duties, truth be told he flat out stunk at it, that said this was the wrong way to do it. JJ should have let Garrett announce it as if it was his idea, by JJ just taking them away he has neutered Garrett to where the players should really have no fear of him.

8-8 here we come again

#3 rambo

rambo

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,981 posts
  • Fan Since:Nick Foles

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

no....not yet.

Garrett needed to lose the OC duties, truth be told he flat out stunk at it, that said this was the wrong way to do it. JJ should have let Garrett announce it as if it was his idea, by JJ just taking them away he has neutered Garrett to where the players should really have no fear of him.

8-8 here we come again

This kind of reminds me of the Office Space interview with the Bob's....

http://youtu.be/2SoWNMNKNeM

#4 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

no....not yet.

8-8 here we come again

Was he even consulted on the Ryan firing and/or who would replace him and now he has play calling duties taken away. :nonono:

It must be really embarrasing for him to be the only "HC" in the NFL who has absolutely no say in anything.

#5 mike030270

mike030270

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Lol what a joke

#6 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Was he even consulted on the Ryan firing and/or who would replace him and now he has play calling duties taken away. :nonono:

It must be really embarrasing for him to be the only "HC" in the NFL who has absolutely no say in anything.

i don't think he had a say in Ryan being hired, i think he was dead set against it, and I don't think he had any real say in the firing.

I'd like to argue with you and anyone killing Dallas for the way this was handled but I can't

#7 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

i don't think he had a say in Ryan being hired, i think he was dead set against it, and I don't think he had any real say in the firing.

I'd like to argue with you and anyone killing Dallas for the way this was handled but I can't

I'm really not trying to "kill" them for it (other than King Jerry), I honestly feel somewhat sorry for Garrett because he keeps publicly emasculating him in a sport dominated by a hyper-macho mentality and yet still expects him to succeed as a eunuch. :nonono:

#8 FlyinBrian36-20

FlyinBrian36-20

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,107 posts
  • Fan Since:'99

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

JJ = The Cancer of Dallas

#9 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

The only thing that will "fix" the Cowboys is for Jerry Jones to come out of the booth and call plays himself. He can't trust anyone else to do tha job. He CAN do a better job of it himself!

Come on Jerry, be the Cowboys coach!

#10 DawkinsOwnage03

DawkinsOwnage03

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,807 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

He's gone next year.

#11 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,682 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

He's gone next year.

By week 14...

#12 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,564 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

It wasn't that long ago that Garrett was the golden child in Dallas and Wade was just holding the job for him. Seriously though, even Jerry thinks Jerry needs to be fired as GM.

#13 skipsharp

skipsharp

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

It wasn't that long ago that Garrett was the golden child in Dallas and Wade was just holding the job for him. Seriously though, even Jerry thinks Jerry needs to be fired as GM.

Yeah and he got to be the golden child by calling plays.. I'm not sure what else he brings to the table.

#14 JRoy

JRoy

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Didn't we just hire him as our OC? Oh, nevermind, that was Pat Shurmur.

#15 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Figures on the day Jerry Rice and Tim Brown accuse Bill Callahan of throwing the SB he gets promoted by Jerry Jones.

#16 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

https://twitter.com/...781459821535232

A bad season this year and no playoffs he will be looking for a job next year IMO.

Jones is coming to the fact that he was over-rated when you gave hithe job.....

The best thing to happen to the Ravens is when Garrett turned down thier HC position that they offered to him. The Ravens then turned to John Har. and the rest has been history.

#17 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Dallas is going to suck next season. This team reminds of the raiders...

#18 Sack that QB

Sack that QB

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,193 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I think Jones will either go balls to the wall for Saban next year or go after Gruden.

#19 skipsharp

skipsharp

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I think Jones will either go balls to the wall for Saban next year or go after Gruden.

I can't see any proven HC wanting to work for Jones. Especially now.
Money talks though.

#20 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,682 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

If they don't do well next season, Callahan will be the interim HC by week 14.

#21 Jefetio

Jefetio

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

It's only a matter of time. Maybe not this year, but the end is near.

#22 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

A bad season this year and no playoffs he will be looking for a job next year IMO.

Jones is coming to the fact that he was over-rated when you gave hithe job.....

The best thing to happen to the Ravens is when Garrett turned down thier HC position that they offered to him. The Ravens then turned to John Har. and the rest has been history.

Baltimore going to the SB, so I'm not going to argue Garrett is as good a coach as Harbaugh, but Garrett has never had a chance, you put most coaches in that situation in Dallas where they have no authority and a hair brained Al Davis wannabe GM and owner and I would not expect much success.

Harbaugh walked into a good team with one of the best GM's in the NFL, and he doesn't have the responsibility of having to call plays on either side of the ball.

I actually think Garrett is a good HC, he disciplines players, and the team plays very hard for him and keeps them pretty focused despite the constant circus, however he is not a good offensive coordinator, I think he is the anti Norv Turner. I think somone else calling the plays is a good move, but the way it was handled was horrible. I think if you put Garrett is a good organization, where he didn;t have to call plays and just lead men, he'd be a good HC.

As long as JJ is running the show down there you can't truly evaluate anyone.

JJ is doing what he always does, he did it with Parcells, Wade, and now Garrett.

When he first hires a coach JJ backs off, but then if they don't have immediate success fixing his previous f ups, he goes overboard and starts meddling.

When Garrett took the job Dallas was a old team with few malcontents. Garrett had real power at first, Jerry sat back and let him do what he wanted.Over the last 2 years Garrett has turned an old/horrible secondary into a good young one, he replaced old ILB's Bradie James/Ketih Brookings with two young players that are damn good, got younger at WR, found a good RB, but when Dallas did not have the success JJ wanted to totally abandoned the plan and now Dallas is changing the offense and the defense again...it's a f'n joke,

I'm to the point where I wish they'd fire Garrett and cut Romo so they could both go somewhere and have real sucess, JJ has wasted the careers of Romo, Witten, Ware, and Ratliff

#23 EAGLES8690

EAGLES8690

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Why did Wade Phillips even get fired?Didn't Romo's neck got broke in 2010?

#24 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Why did Wade Phillips even get fired?Didn't Romo's neck got broke in 2010?

Phillips got fired because when Romo got hurt the team quit on him

#25 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Baltimore going to the SB, so I'm not going to argue Garrett is as good a coach as Harbaugh, but Garrett has never had a chance, you put most coaches in that situation in Dallas where they have no authority and a hair brained Al Davis wannabe GM and owner and I would not expect much success.

Harbaugh walked into a good team with one of the best GM's in the NFL, and he doesn't have the responsibility of having to call plays on either side of the ball.

I actually think Garrett is a good HC, he disciplines players, and the team plays very hard for him and keeps them pretty focused despite the constant circus, however he is not a good offensive coordinator, I think he is the anti Norv Turner. I think somone else calling the plays is a good move, but the way it was handled was horrible. I think if you put Garrett is a good organization, where he didn;t have to call plays and just lead men, he'd be a good HC.

As long as JJ is running the show down there you can't truly evaluate anyone.

JJ is doing what he always does, he did it with Parcells, Wade, and now Garrett.

When he first hires a coach JJ backs off, but then if they don't have immediate success fixing his previous f ups, he goes overboard and starts meddling.

When Garrett took the job Dallas was a old team with few malcontents. Garrett had real power at first, Jerry sat back and let him do what he wanted.Over the last 2 years Garrett has turned an old/horrible secondary into a good young one, he replaced old ILB's Bradie James/Ketih Brookings with two young players that are damn good, got younger at WR, found a good RB, but when Dallas did not have the success JJ wanted to totally abandoned the plan and now Dallas is changing the offense and the defense again...it's a f'n joke,

I'm to the point where I wish they'd fire Garrett and cut Romo so they could both go somewhere and have real sucess, JJ has wasted the careers of Romo, Witten, Ware, and Ratliff

Ratliff will probably benefit from the switch to the 4 - 3, but I can't see how the move from 3 - 4 outside rush LB to a hand-on-the-ground, 4 - 3 DE plays to his strengths or helps Ware in any way. :nonono:

#26 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Ratliff will probably benefit from the switch to the 4 - 3, but I can't see how the move from 3 - 4 outside rush LB to a hand-on-the-ground, 4 - 3 DE plays to his strengths or helps Ware in any way. :nonono:

i'm on the fence about it, in the 3-4 he took on LT's all day and played the run, really the only difference in the 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE is that the 3-4 OLB has to drop into coverage sometimes (Ware did about 20% of the time) and the 3-4 OLB gets to move around to create mis-matches, but Dallas never did that at all with Ware anyway.

that said I get the general feeling that he is breaking down period, no matter what they run.

Dallas running the 3-4 was a waste of 7 seasons, they never got the big run stuffing NT you need and they never moved the LB's around to cause confusion and get favorable match ups like other good 3-4 teams do...so why do it.

JJ just makes to many knee jerk reactions, they went from a physical 3-4 with Parcells, to a 3-4 with speedier smaller players under philips, then tried to get bigger and physical under Rob Ryan....now they change to this, you don;t see the better teams do crazy ish like this. This is also why Dallas has no depth, when you change philosophies every other season or so it's hard to stock up on players that fit your system

up until a few days ago before really giving this some thought I thought a healthy Dallas team would challenge for the NFCE......now I just don't see it.

#27 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

up until a few days ago before really giving this some thought I thought a healthy Dallas team would challenge for the NFCE......now I just don't see it.

Normally I'd agree with you here, but the division is such a mess now. If Griffing didn't have the injury concerns I'd say it was Washington's to lose, but with his knee exploding I think it's pretty much up in the air again.

#28 BlackPooL

BlackPooL

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,961 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

He's gone next year.

Honestly, what real positivity has he brought thus far?

He's not especially successful, and he's incapable of calling plays to JJ's satisfaction. He must only be keeping him around to avoid paying him a salary to sit at home.

#29 IggleWalt

IggleWalt

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Honestly, what real positivity has he brought thus far?

He's not especially successful, and he's incapable of calling plays to JJ's satisfaction. He must only be keeping him around to avoid paying him a salary to sit at home.

Nobody is capable of calling plays to JJ's satisfaction.

#30 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

i'm on the fence about it, in the 3-4 he took on LT's all day and played the run, really the only difference in the 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE is that the 3-4 OLB has to drop into coverage sometimes (Ware did about 20% of the time) and the 3-4 OLB gets to move around to create mis-matches, but Dallas never did that at all with Ware anyway.

that said I get the general feeling that he is breaking down period, no matter what they run.

To me the most significant difference is that he'll also have to line up in a 3-pt stance directly on the LOS and engage the LT firing off the ball on certain downs, (something he may have done but I don't really recall ever seeing him do it) as opposed to playing standing up and getting a running start at the LT.

If you think he's already starting to "break down" that close-contact, trench warfare certainly isn't going to help.