- - - - -

Tim Brown opens can of worms over Raiders/Bucs Super Bowl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 H-field Hero

H-field Hero

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,329 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I was just waking up this morning when this story was breaking and being reported on Mike & Mike.  Completely out of the blue Tim brown has shed some light on the odd blow out that took place in the Raiders/Bucs Super Bowl from 10 years ago (damn, I'm getting old).  Brown is claiming that the team had worked on a game plan based around a power running game all the way leading up to the Super Bowl and then the day before the game Callahan inexplicably reworked the entire game plan into a pass heavy offense.  Other Raiders who were on that team (Rod Woodson for instance) have since come forward and admitted that Callahan did in fact change the game plan at the last minute and that everyone was thrown completely off guard by it.  But Brown is taking it a step further.  Brown said Callahan's new game plan was doomed from the start and entering into the game on Sunday they knew they had no chance going with a pass heavy offense.  Brown went on to claim that Callahan hated the Raiders so much that he would not put it past him to intentionally sabotage the Raiders so that "his friend" John Gruden could win the Super Bowl.  Crazy enough?  What's even more insane is that Jerry Rice came forward today agreeing with Brown!  The story has been on going all day and sports radio shows have been trying like crazy to get players from that team to comment.  2013 is getting off to a fast start with bizarre sports stories.

This story has been all over TV and sports talk all day and they're a million articles about it online so I'm going to refrain from supporting this topic with a link.

What do you guys make of this?

#2 Footballman175

Footballman175

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,200 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Absolutely no truth to any of that.

#3 mike030270

mike030270

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...ap1000000129743

#4 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Wait, why did Callahan hate the team he lead to the Superbowl?

#5 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Seriously?  A guy could hate the team so much he'd sacrifice his own legacy to screw them over?  He's sacrifice the chance to always have that SB winning title attached to his name?  I call BS.  Sounds like players unable to deal with the fact they failed to get the job done just as much as the coach.  Maybe they would have been better served with the original game plan but they still took the field, competed, and got their heads handed to them.

#6 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,257 posts
  • Fan Since:last night

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

so they would have played better if the eagles had beaten tampa bay...?

#7 fearthereaper

fearthereaper

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sometimes incompetence can seem like tanking. You could make the same accusation against Andy Reid after that game with Kolb knowing the Eagles signals. Very similar to what happened in that game.

#8 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,074 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Why would he come out and say this after 10 years of silence?

#9 ilikepargo

ilikepargo

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,779 posts
  • Fan Since:Wilbert

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Winners celebrate.
Losers make excuses.

#10 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,600 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

I think that all Brown did by bringing this up now is put Cris Carter into the HOF before him.

#11 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,757 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

Jerry Rice is also supporting what Tim Brown is saying and agrees Callahan sabotaged the team. Rice even said Callahan didn't like him. Might not believe Brown but now that Rice is speaking out something up. Two of the best to ever play the game. It's not like this is T.O. or Randy Moss coming out saying this.

The Raiders were easily manhandled in that game. Of course Gruden coached them before and knew them but it's also interesting to point out how the Raiders collapsed as a franchise after the Super Bowl loss. They went from 12-10-11 wins to 4-12 and Callahan was fired. Of course Callahan was never a HC again and Gruden went on to destroy the Bucs team and never won a playoff game again.

Oh and Bill Romonowski says it's not true and blamed the loss on Rich Gannon saying Brown is delusional. I think I would believe Rice and Brown over a dirty player, who was accused of racist comments and who spit on people.

http://www.foxsports...2&ocid=ansfox11

Callahan issues statement after Rice's claims

Jerry Rice said he supports former Raider teammate Tim Brown on his comments on Bill Callahan sabotaging Super Bowl XXXVII. (Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports)

Tim Brown’s suggestion that former Oakland Raiders head coach Bill Callahan sabotaged his team in Super Bowl XXXVII ignited a firestorm on Tuesday, which culminated with further accusations by a Hall of Famer and a statement by Callahan defending his name.

On Tuesday afternoon, Hall of Famer receiver Jerry Rice, a teammate with Brown on that Raiders team, said on ESPN that he was surprised when Callahan changed the Raiders’ offensive game plan two days before playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the Lombardi Trophy on Jan. 26, 2003. The Bucs went on to win the game 48-21.

"For some reason — and I don't know why — Bill Callahan did not like me," Rice said. "In a way, maybe because he didn't like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Hey look, maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.'"

That season was Gruden's first as head coach in Tampa Bay after four seasons in Oakland.

Shortly after that, Callahan, currently the Cowboys’ offensive line coach/offensive coordinator, released a statement of his own from Alabama, where he is working with the Cowboys coaching staff for the Senior Bowl.

"I am shocked, saddened and outraged by Tim Brown's allegations and Jerry Rice's support of those allegations," Callahan said in a statement released Tuesday night to Dallas radio station 105.3 FM The Fan. "To leave no doubt, I categorically and unequivocally deny the sum and substance of their allegation. To suggest otherwise, especially at this time when it involves the Super Bowl, is ludicrous and defamatory."

Brown originally made his claim during a radio interview Saturday, the nine-time Pro Bowler saying:

"It's hard to say [Callahan] sabotaged the Super Bowl. You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can't say for a fact that that's what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl. He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend [Gruden] can win the Super Bowl. That's hard to say, because you can't prove it.”

After his initial comments on Tuesday, Rice was then asked if he realized that he was suggesting Callahan might have attempted to throw the Super Bowl.

"Yeah, I know exactly what I'm saying," Rice responded. "This is a discussion that Tim and I had. Being veterans, we know that you don't wait until the last second to change the game plan."

Rice said he and Brown never had the opportunity to confront Callahan about potentially throwing the game.

Later Tuesday, former linebacker Bill Romanowski, a player on that Raiders team, defended Callahan during an interview with Comcast Sports, pinning the loss more on players, notably quarterback Rich Gannon, not playing well, and questioning why Brown would come forward with the claims now, 10 years after the game.

Also on Tuesday, the Dallas Morning News reported that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones removed the play-calling duties from head coach Jason Garrett, meaning there's a realistic chance that Callahan would likely take over that responsibility.

#12 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,600 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I still don't buy it, I'm also not going to buy it just because Rice says something. They're coming off like they'r butt hurt crybabies. The game was a decade ago, the time to do this, if it was true, is long gone.  

It'll be interesting to see if Callahan sues either, or both.

It'll also be interesting to see if Brown gets bypassed again this year. I had thought that he might get in this year, but now I have doubts.

#13 bandwagon

bandwagon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts
  • Fan Since:tuesday

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Atheletes should be seen, not heard.

#14 matchew88

matchew88

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,324 posts
  • Fan Since:Lift Off

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I think Jim Harbaugh will lose for his brother as a favor

#15 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I wonder if there's some underlying occurance here that is being misconstrued or misinterpreted. For example, could Al Davis have been dissatisfied with the original game plan and ordered a change, resulting in Callahan then hastily having to re-work it? That would seem to fit the pattern of behavior Al Davis was known for.

Also, there's the situation with Barrett Robbins which may hold the key to understanding this. Did Robbins indeed complain to Callahan about the game plan, preparations for which could have added to whatever mental stress he was dealing with? Or did he simply have mental and emotional issues which had nothing to do with this?

Whatever the case, it's odd that this is coming out now, ten years later. Why wait so long? And does Brown realize that, if false, this accusation could possibly cost him some HOF votes?

The fact that Gruden knew the Raiders so well may or may not be the sole explanation for such a blowout performance by a good, but not great, Tampa Bay team. Perhaps there were other factors at work. Surely the Robbins situation, no matter the exact timeline, would prove to be a distraction, if not more. And if Al Davis was involved, perhaps all those factors addedup to a blowout loss.

#16 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

If they had come out with information that he threw the game because of mafia ties or something then at least it would be plausible.  But if his motivation for throwing the superbowl is that he "hated" the team he coached?  Mind-boggling.  Doesn't make any sense at all.

#17 bigmac65

bigmac65

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I don't think it would have mattered either way it was a blow out, possibly a closer game the result is the same. I watched that game and remember thinking "damn the Raiders suck how did they get to the SB"
also I believe TB had one of the better run defenses in the league. It may be true what Tim Brown is saying, players have to execute and play well as I recall Gannon sucked and the WR dropped a lot of passes. Sorry Tim Im not buying it.

#18 bandwagon

bandwagon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts
  • Fan Since:tuesday

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostKzEaglefan86, on 23 January 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

If they had come out with information that he threw the game because of mafia ties or something then at least it would be plausible.  But if his motivation for throwing the superbowl is that he "hated" the team he coached?  Mind-boggling.

Also Jerry Rice added this gem; "maybe because he didn't like the Raiders he decided 'Hey look maybe we should sabotage just a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one,' "

Brilliant! "Maybe we should sabotage just a little bit"? Jerry is another great analyst ESPN has hired for stimulating commentary like this, to go along with all of the "and" "uh" "so" "ahh" "um" he adds into every sentence he speaks. Great stuff Jerry. Dude was a legend and hero to me until I heard him talk.