Photo
- - - - -

The new stereotype in the NFL ....Read option QB

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

I laughed my arse off when collinsworth said joe webb was an option QB simply because he an run :roll:

Its the new trend now....just watch how they will call QBs who are dual threats option QB now..

I was listening to ESPN this morning and they said Jemarcus Russell might make a come back, the the espn guy said something about Jemarcus being too fat to run the read option....seriously? Jemarcus doesn't even run

Before they call them athletic QB now its read option...after the success of colin kaepernick they are kind of respecting dual threats Qbs now....instead of calling a college gimmick

#2 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,246 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I do think that a trend has been established that will remain very strong in the NFL for the next 5-10 years. It even has it's own watershed moment in SF this year. The "game manager" qb has been replaced with the read option scrambler. Say Goodbye to the Sanchez/Orton/Alex Smith types. If you can't wing it like a gunslinger, you better be able to run it.

#3 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

If only your school gave you the OPTION to READ, then we could read your chickenscratch without getting a migrane.

#4 Dirty 30 Sucks

Dirty 30 Sucks

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,504 posts
  • Fan Since:egg

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

My dad told me that people talked about this with the west coast offense. Oh its no good players in the NFL are too fast.... whoops.

#5 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Team:Vikings
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

The jury is still out as far as this becoming the next wave. Three of the four quarterbacks on the teams that played Sunday were typical pocket-passer types.

Also, the read-option needs a quarterback who can pass. That's why Kaepernick has been successful so far, and why RG III has been, and Russell Wilson. Defenses can't sell out, they can't put eight in the box, without peril.

Joe Webb can run, but as of now, evidence suggests he's not much of a passer. And Jamarcus Russell just isn't much of anything, period.

#6 bandwagon

bandwagon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,297 posts
  • Fan Since:tuesday

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Every couple of years white NFL analysts come up with a different verb to use as a synonym/substitute for black quarterback, so they don't actually have to say "black quarterback".

#7 NOTW

NOTW

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,739 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Utilizing a QBs running skills is not new. In fact, football used to not even have passing in its origins.

Some trends come and go, others get used when a team has the personnel to pull it off. Last year, the Patriots started using two TE sets more often and using them in creative ways and people got excited and thought every team should have no name WRs and two great TEs.

I think Chip Kelly has the right attitude, you run your offense based on the personnel you have. If a team drafts a QB that turns out to be talented, like the Seahawks with Wilson, you run an offense that suits him and begin building around him. Had Seattle drafted a traditional pocket passer that was talented, they'd be running a more traditional offense.

There will always be a mix of types of talent in the NFL and there will always be teams who take chances on gimmicks and new trends.

#8 graysferry

graysferry

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,052 posts
  • Fan Since:sperm

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Read-option, the new Wildcat

#9 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Posted Image

#10 NOTW

NOTW

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,739 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Name a running QB that didn't get injured and have to slow his game down and learn to be a pocket passer, or become less effective or irrelevant.

#11 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Name a running QB that didn't get injured and have to slow his game down and learn to be a pocket passer, or become less effective or irrelevant.

colin kaepernick, cam newton, russell wilson..are u this dimwitted?

Every couple of years white NFL analysts come up with a different verb to use as a synonym/substitute for black quarterback, so they don't actually have to say "black quarterback".

Exactly .....speak the truth

#12 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

The scrambling QB is a fad that comes and goes based on the players coming out of college, but it never really catches on because it doesn't ultimately work. Obviously, having a QB capable of running like a punt returner in the open field is a tremendous weapon almost no defense can completely stop, but the lack of pocket development and/or injuries invariably catch up with them.

Kaepernick may be the first to go all the way with it, but I wouldn't expect that to be as trend we see continue.

The NFL is a copycat league, though, so I'm sure we'll see more teams give it a shot, much like the Wildcat. Tom Brady/Manning/etc. will continue to be the standard for what you want and need in a QB.

#13 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

The run read option is why the 49ers beat the falcons.

#14 IHateDemCowboys

IHateDemCowboys

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

The run read option is why the 49ers beat the falcons.

That, or the fact that the Falcons scored 0 points in the second half.

#15 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,659 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

How long did the Run & Shoot last?, Warren Moon was beaten up pretty bad when Houston ran it....

#16 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

The problem with this read option QB fad is how long can these guys keep doing it. Yeah as rookies/2nd year players at most they can still run around and be disruptive with their legs as well as their arms. Problem is few more years down the line injuries and age start to creep in and what do you do? You have to go back to a more conservative pocket based offense. For their sake I hope their coaches are preparing them for that. Yeah things open up more when the QB is also a threat to run but when that threat is diminished can they adapt?

Plus a QB who is great passing and running is still a rare thing. Yeah they've found a couple of guys these past few years (although I still say wait until they do it at least 2 years before annointing them) but you're still also probably going to have plenty of guys coming up who are traditional drop back passers that you can't just dismiss because they don't run fast enough.

#17 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

The scrambling QB is a fad that comes and goes based on the players coming out of college, but it never really catches on because it doesn't ultimately work. Obviously, having a QB capable of running like a punt returner in the open field is a tremendous weapon almost no defense can completely stop, but the lack of pocket development and/or injuries invariably catch up with them.

Kaepernick may be the first to go all the way with it, but I wouldn't expect that to be as trend we see continue.

The NFL is a copycat league, though, so I'm sure we'll see more teams give it a shot, much like the Wildcat. Tom Brady/Manning/etc. will continue to be the standard for what you want and need in a QB.

Keep living in the past comparing the wildcat to an offense which nobody has stopped....RG3 ran most of it all season nobody stopped it....nobody stop alfred morris....its a difficult offense to stop because you have to account for the QB and the RB.......atlanta stopped CK from running but they didnt stop gore...

#18 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,659 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Keep living in the past comparing the wildcat to an offense which nobody has stopped....RG3 ran most of it all season nobody stopped it....nobody stop alfred morris....its a difficult offense to stop because you have to account for the QB and the RB.......atlanta stopped CK from running but they didnt stop gore...

Many said the Nebraska and Oklahoma options could'nt be stopped, enter the Miami Hurricanes, and NFL defenses will adjust in time

#19 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

That, or the fact that the Falcons scored 0 points in the second half.

Not just that game, Rg3 uses it for the Redksins and has a very good 3rd conversion percantage with long yardage situations. When Fred comes back next season , the skins will be unstoppable.

#20 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Many said the Nebraska and Oklahoma options could'nt be stopped, enter the Miami Hurricanes, and NFL defenses will adjust in time

You just don't get it.....its not the read option but the QB themselves that are changing the game....teams are not going to run the read option all the time...they will just sprinkle it in on their offense

#21 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Remind me...did RG3 suffer a concussion, torn LCL, and ultimately suffer his second ACL tear?

Keep living in a fantasyworld. Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

#22 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Tannehill is white, he just doesn't get mentioned much cuz nobody cares about the Phins. This Nassib kid from Syracuse will get a ton of talk in the next few week. He will be another white Qb projected as a read option guy.

Read option Qb is read option Qb. People have been trying to find better ways to use athletic Qb's since Tarkenton.

#23 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

The problem with this read option QB fad is how long can these guys keep doing it. Yeah as rookies/2nd year players at most they can still run around and be disruptive with their legs as well as their arms. Problem is few more years down the line injuries and age start to creep in and what do you do? You have to go back to a more conservative pocket based offense. For their sake I hope their coaches are preparing them for that. Yeah things open up more when the QB is also a threat to run but when that threat is diminished can they adapt?

Plus a QB who is great passing and running is still a rare thing. Yeah they've found a couple of guys these past few years (although I still say wait until they do it at least 2 years before annointing them) but you're still also probably going to have plenty of guys coming up who are traditional drop back passers that you can't just dismiss because they don't run fast enough.

Read option Qb's will have the same life spans as any other NFL player. They just won't have the artificially enhanced life spans of punters, kickers and modern day pocket passers.

#24 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

How long did the Run & Shoot last?, Warren Moon was beaten up pretty bad when Houston ran it....

The days of offenses that have one word classification are as outdated as thrash metal. Offenses are using dashes of everything now and can go from read option to run n shoot from one play to the next (the Patriots).

#25 Nik Sneak

Nik Sneak

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Joe Webb ran more read option in college then RGIII did you dumb ****. Just because you don't watch college football doesn't mean other people don't know what they are talking about.

Tannehill is white, he just doesn't get mentioned much cuz nobody cares about the Phins. This Nassib kid from Syracuse will get a ton of talk in the next few week. He will be another white Qb projected as a read option guy.

Read option Qb is read option Qb. People have been trying to find better ways to use athletic Qb's since Tarkenton.

And how will Nassib be projected as a read option guy? The guy is at his best in the pocket.

#26 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Joe Webb ran more read option in college then RGIII did you dumb ****. Just because you don't watch college football doesn't mean other people don't know what they are talking about.

And how will Nassib be projected as a read option guy? The guy is at his best in the pocket.

Not sure if the top one was for me, I don't really consider RG3 a read option Qb, the Skins just mixed it in a bit. Tannehill & Kaepernick are the true trailblazers here, one is white the other looks half white... As for Nassib, get back to me closer to draft day. This kid will shoot up the boards because from here to draft day the talk will be that he is athletic enough to do some read option until his pocket skills get refined, therefore making him a true 1st rdr cuz he can play right away.

#27 eglz1

eglz1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Exactly .....speak the truth

Give 'em a few surgeries - or in RG3's case a few more surgeries then check back. Or ask Donovan.

#28 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,183 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

:roll:
True..

#29 NOTW

NOTW

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,739 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I meant over their career, not one season. That should have been inherent in my post. Are you that dimwitted? They all start out exciting and are supposedly going to change the game. Til they get hurt, slow down with age. We've seen it in our own team with Cunningham, McNabb and Vick.

Even RGKnee couldn't get out of his first season.

I like what Chip Kelly has said so far. He wants his QB to be a passing QB first, only with the option and ability to run if needed. A QB has to be an accurate passer that can read and pick apart defenses. That is what's proven. If you can combine that with running ability, that's awesome. But you also can't take too many hits, need to slide to protect yourself, throw the ball away to avoid getting hit or avoid an interception. Play smarter, not just rely on athletic ability. The NFL is to complex and the competition is too tough to get by on that alone.

#30 Nik Sneak

Nik Sneak

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Not sure if the top one was for me, I don't really consider RG3 a read option Qb, the Skins just mixed it in a bit. Tannehill & Kaepernick are the true trailblazers here, one is white the other looks half white... As for Nassib, get back to me closer to draft day. This kid will shoot up the boards because from here to draft day the talk will be that he is athletic enough to do some read option until his pocket skills get refined, therefore making him a true 1st rdr cuz he can play right away.

Top one was for the original poster, sorry about that.

Anyway, I see your point, though I don't neccessarily agree. His mobility if he times under a 4.8 will probably get overhyped so I can definitely see you being right. I just don't think Nassib could truly run a real read option offense.