Photo

[News] Mornhinweg Headed To Jets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,879 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

The New York Jets officially named Marty Mornhinweg as their new offensive coordinator on Wednesday. Mornhinweg spent the past 10 seasons with the Eagles including six as the playcaller for the off...

View the full article

#2 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Great success

Posted Image

#3 Rivickulous

Rivickulous

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Fan Since:Inception

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I approve this message.

#4 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

finally

#5 Drujitzu

Drujitzu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Best news ever, just makes it final that he won't be back in Philly. THANK GOD!!!!

#6 SteelcityCanada

SteelcityCanada

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

The 2010 season was more about Vick improvising than MM calling great plays. NYJ will suck again next year for sure.

#7 Matadorr

Matadorr

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Officially old news.

#8 louieb62

louieb62

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Fan Since:1954

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

MM, Thanks for the great years. Knowledgeable football people understand you didn't suddenly turn stupid in the last two years. Same for Bowles and April. I believe football success is more about player talent, smarts, and execution. Just like poker, you can only do so much with the cards/players you're dealt. Good luck in NY.

#9 mace58

mace58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

The eagles are supposed (under Reid anyways) to be a west coast offense. Didnt see much of that from Mornhinweg. At least the eagles have an offensive mastermind.

#10 saveir1

saveir1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I still think Marty was part of Andy's downfall. Andy was doing ok calling plays if you ask me. Marty called some questionable plays on third downs, I could see the way they lined up, some plays that were not going to convert. Marty is good for some big plays down field if you have the players, but inbetween the hashes he sucked.

#11 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

boring.....snore....snore....snore

#12 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Have a good flight.

#13 Brodieman687

Brodieman687

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

good riddance, never was a fan of getting the head coach who elected to kick in OT (old rules) and lost the game.

Nothing like continuing to set up with an empty backfield even when our O-line is in shambles and we have one of the best RB's in football. Mornhinwheg removed the threat of the run far too often, and proved himself to call an offense that is inconsistent.

#14 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,596 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I never understood the hate for Marty. All the guy did was coordinate an offense that set records. IMO, he did a good job while he was here.

#15 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Marty would never adjust to the defense,when the opposition adjusted at half time Marty would stay with his game plan to the bitter end, even when it wasn't working. Marty was Andy's demise or at least a big part of it. Always wondered why he wasn't the first to go instead of Juan. Not saying It wasn't ARs fault because he let it happen or should we say not happen.Its only going to get better

#16 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Wow this site needs to get with the times, how are they receiving there information The Pony Express.

#17 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

The reason they are reporting this old ___ info is because they don't have ___ to talk about. FO isn't talking about ___. Their mindset is we got you the rock star so sit back and we will put tickets on sale for the first show when we are ready. I really don't understand why all the hush hush on the current coaching staff. Waiting till you get the DC? Hope they make their announcement before Vick is due $3 million.

#18 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Ya Shady not much going on this time of year. I'm putting my money on Ed Donatell 49ers secondary coach as the next DC.

#19 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

It would only be fitting. We get the number 1 HC candidate and the number 1 DC candidate. Howie for mayor?

#20 philafan4o8

philafan4o8

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

so this is what it feels like to win a superbowl lol

#21 Couragio

Couragio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

T H I S I S A W E S O M E ! !

These Jets guys really dont know **** about football do they..?

#22 ThomasMaine

ThomasMaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

MM was good at generating stats. His overall philosophy just wasn't very good. No effective concept of play calling in the red zone.
"They blitz, we score" was a good idea unless you use mostly slow developing plays and rarely run. Then they blitz every play, take two steps back on DJax and are down to covering half the field for a couple of seconds.
Rushing yards/attempt ranked 8th... Rushing attempts/game 21st. On a team carrying 4 RB's and a FB..
MM is still an upgrade to the disaster they have going on in NY. Best of luck to him.
Moving on... Big receivers please. They can make receptions when they are not wide open. Look at who has been catching the ball through the playoffs. Red zone is nothing but traffic.
Forget the running QB garbage. It is nice to have a guy that can scramble(Wilson) but stepping up and around in the pocket is far more valuable. An offensive scheme designed to increase the risk of your QB getting hit is dumb. Apparently it is pretty hard to pass accurately in the NFL, why make it harder by getting the QB hit extra and having him run sprints during the game. Kaepernick had 21 yds rushing in the Conference Championship simply because Atl DE's stayed in position. Next season defenses are going to put the option crap on the shelf with the Wildcat. Watch how the Redskins play calling changes now that they are one concussion and a knee injury into life with and without Griffin III.

#23 Moe Greene

Moe Greene

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,254 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

ThomasMaine you make some solid points. Kelly addressed this when he spoke with Lurie about trends and counter trends. seems like he anticipates NFL defenses scheming for read option and says he can adjust his schemes accordingly. At first i wondered why he'd go for an OC that was steeped in the WCO but again i think it speaks to his desire to bring in a diversity of ideas and approaches and have some flexibility in his schemes. "equal opportunity scoring" sounds good to me. it'll be a refreshing change from pass, pass, and pass some more.

#24 7to10allday

7to10allday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

They still haven't reported that Pat Shurmur has been hired as the OC as of Monday....

#25 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

the jets needed a change, they wanted to run more and throw less which is why getting marty is bizarre , but maybe they have another qb in mind for the jets. this is such old news tho, i heard about this on espn radio a week ago. anyway....as i do every draft and offseason ill be hoping for a big number 1 receiver.

#26 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Ed Donatell after the Super Bowl seams like the way to go for D C

#27 Eaglefan1456

Eaglefan1456

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Well the Jets won't have to worry about have a top 15 running game or scoring in the red zone anymore! Maybe MM will take Vick with him!

#28 ek218

ek218

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

" Mornhinweg was honored that season by Pro Football Weekly as the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year. In all, Mornhinweg has guided the five best yardage outputs and four of the top five scoring seasons in team history." And the results - how many Super Bowl wins - oh yeah - none - Oakland, Arizona and NY Jets will all be looking up athe Eagles - and truthfully - Marty never called a play - Fat Andy just let him hold the chart and ignored him - In the words of whomever "We coulda been a contender" - except for Andy, Marty, Bobby April and whomever was trying to run the D
"

#29 wibinga

wibinga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

So glad that MM won't be coaching in Philly next year.

#30 Moe Greene

Moe Greene

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,254 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

ek218, it was marlon brando in on the waterfront