Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pgcd3

Steve Spagnuolo fired by Saints; they want to switch to 3-4

106 posts in this topic

Didn't have a good year but interested?

No thanks, the 3-4 is on its way !!!!

I did not see this coming, ah man!

1 person likes this

No thanks, the 3-4 is on its way !!!!

Yes Saints claim they are going 3-4 so if we are too then he doesn't make sense. If 4-3 then I'd strongly consider

1 person likes this

WOW. Yes. I thought a quote from him this year was interesting though, basically said "i have no answers..." He is rumored to have a good relationship with Lurie, they did want Reid to hire him as the DC last year, and Chip did say he wanted a D that would bring some heat....hmmm..

I'l take him over Fewell.

He has apparently developed a huge ego everybody on the team hated him in NO

If Andy was still here, I think he'd be hired. I have no idea what Kelly will do.

He absolutely lost that locker room.

I don't see the Eagles going after him. They're talking of moving to a 3-4 as well so it wouldn't make much sense from that standpoint. I heard some Saints players talk about how they hated the way he talked to them and it almost seemed like he was always talking down to them. If that's true or not we have no way of knowing but if it is that's not good.

Andy will add him to his staff somehow, if he isn't signed by someone else.

in a heart beat, best thing that could happen to the Eagles

2 people like this

I don't see the Eagles going after him. They're talking of moving to a 3-4 as well so it wouldn't make much sense from that standpoint. I heard some Saints players talk about how they hated the way he talked to them and it almost seemed like he was always talking down to them. If that's true or not we have no way of knowing but if it is that's not good.

Right Payton is claiming it's because of a shift to the 3-4. Interesting that Payton sees the 3-4 as the way to go in today's nfl as well. If we did stick to the 4-3 then I'd consider Spags. Personally I'd rather have Spags run a 4-3 than Donatell though I'm sure others would argue otherwise.

Right Payton is claiming it's because of a shift to the 3-4. Interesting that Payton sees the 3-4 as the way to go in today's nfl as well. If we did stick to the 4-3 then I'd consider Spags. Personally I'd rather have Spags run a 4-3 than Donatell though I'm sure others would argue otherwise.

I'm kinda conflicted about Spags right now. We saw an impressive run and some close to dominant defensive performances from his unit back in 2007, got the Rams job in 2009 and that team had horrible defenses (had a lot to do with some personnel outside of Long & Laurinaitis). I'm honestly not sure how I feel. Spags does bring aggressive defense which is something Kelly wants. But I'm wondering if last year was a fluke or if the Saints just didn't buy into him as a coordinator. I don't know. I'd probably feel better about Spags over Donatell as well but at this stage, I don't know how to feel about Spags coming here. After what we've seen the Eagles do over the last 2 weeks, you really can't rule anything out.

2 people like this

Did no one hear the part about where Kelly said he'll have to examine the talent he has before selecting a scheme or a DC? Did anyone not know he had like zero impact on the defense at Oregon? From what crevice are we pulling this 'we're moving to a 3-4' tatersumption from?I'm not opposed to a 3-4 as long as we don't have to cannibalize too much of our current talent.

Spags is a JJ disciple. The Eagles probably have some personnel scheme already in place to fit what Spags brings, as both Spags D and the current Eagles D are still molded more or less to JJ's specs. There is more than one way to do it successfully though. What's most important is that we have the talent and the execution.

1 person likes this

People not even a year ago on this board went nuts for Spags...

Then again people here went nots for Nick Foles as well, and we all know he stunk it up.

I'm kinda conflicted about Spags right now. We saw an impressive run and some close to dominant defensive performances from his unit back in 2007, got the Rams job in 2009 and that team had horrible defenses (had a lot to do with some personnel outside of Long & Laurinaitis). I'm honestly not sure how I feel. Spags does bring aggressive defense which is something Kelly wants. But I'm wondering if last year was a fluke or if the Saints just didn't buy into him as a coordinator. I don't know. I'd probably feel better about Spags over Donatell as well but at this stage, I don't know how to feel about Spags coming here. After what we've seen the Eagles do over the last 2 weeks, you really can't rule anything out.

I agree with that. I'm not sold on Spags given recent performances. Donatell is more of a sure thing in the middle I guess but that's exactly my problem with him. He's mediocre. I'd hope for a 3-4 guy who's well thought of if he's out there

. I'd hope for a 3-4 guy who's well thought of if he's out there

49'ers DL coach

Did no one hear the part about where Kelly said he'll have to examine the talent he has before selecting a scheme or a DC? Did anyone not know he had like zero impact on the defense at Oregon? From what crevice are we pulling this 'we're moving to a 3-4' tatersumption from?

Generally you wouldn't hear about the possibility of 2 linebackers coaches if they're sticking with a 4-3. I doubt 1 would just be given the Asst. LB Coach title. If Chip decides Spags is the guy to run his defense, fine that's his call.

They can't hire Spags for the same reason they fired Reid. Their performance last year was unacceptable. If it fails it looks as bad as everyone thought it would at the time. They can't pull another "Juan"..

Did the saints end up with the worst defense in NFL history? I know they were trending that way.

Yeah I guess we could use more big egos in the locker room. Imo dude needs a reality check not another coordinator job