[Spadaro] What To Look For In D Coordinator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
197 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,629 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

We are in a waiting game as the Eagles determine who is the best fit to run their defense, but that isn't stopping the conjecture as to whom the Eagles might tab ...

View the full article

#2 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

shame. all my scottish paraphernalia is now lost on previous oti. growl.

#3 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

so do we even know if the niners have given permission to talk to that miracle of a prospective ninja turtle of an assistant ? or whatnot ? hummm ??

#4 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

defense needs  gritty, athletic, hustle players.  with  either the safety or middle linebacker being that extension  of the coach on field.   how i miss brown, asante, dawkins and mikell. that was a solid starting 4.  each was so good in an area of defense.     the defense needs to recruit  4 star convicts like in the longest yard or sumthin . for such a physical game we have alot of half a stars

#5 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

versatile is right, we lost that. 3-4 or 4-3 doesnt matter. its the play call. and the versatility of the players.   with jj, and tood mc,  we were 4-3 of coures but, used zone blitzes, using random d line men to drop into coverage. utilizing asantes play recognition and ball hawkin, utlizing browns man to man ability. etc etc.   poor sean got left with no much to work with in the scheme especially when they booted mikell, bradely, brown..

now with washburn,.. he said he hated seeing linemen drop into coverage, seeing cole do that made him sick.  so now if we do not zone blitz anymore , and we have 2 corners who can only do 1 thing, or defense has just drastically lost its versatility, and has become sooo much more predictable. becomes too easy for an offense to beat.

#6 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Supposedly the reason why the Eagles have not announced who will all be on the coaching staff is because Chip wants to wait until the staff is complete to announce it.

#7 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

cute funny http://profootballmo...owl-playoffs-2/

#8 bringit91

bringit91

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

dubsel......Bradley did nothing for Mcdermott's defense.  Gaither was the one who understood how to run Mcdermotts complicated schemes and ran them with no hesitation.  Brown and Mikell were really good for Mcdermotts scheme too. Its too bad that  moron Andy Reid wanted to dummy the defense are rely and on young inexperienced linebackers and safties to play on defense.  Look what happenend to the defense.

#9 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

bradley did nothing???? he was the best lb we had in a long time. he was excellent against the run, and ppl gave him crap cause he got beat deep by fast tight ends down the seems especially in the cover 2s.  u are really insulting how good bradley was for us.  no one complained about him in those games against the giants when stewart would wollop jacobs on 3rd and short. mcdermotts had crap to work with, weak linebackers and ellis hobb and patterson were awful replacements for brown.

all in all defense needs to be able to do multiple things not just one scheme

#10 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

If the Eagles do not draft Star in the 1st round I would look into the small school kid Brandon Williams(Missouri Southern) in the 3rd. This kid is pretty impressive at 6'3 340 had good burst and strength has been great at the Senior Bowl practices just need to see him produce in the game and have a good combine

#11 bringit91

bringit91

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Dubsel...Bradley got paid 25 million in Arizona and he cant even get on the field.  He was so overated and he had a couple big games against some bad teams.  The coaching staff way overated his talented because he had the size and speed to be a good middle linebacker but he just wasnt.

#12 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Bradley was a decent LB when he could stay healthy but that was the big issue with him he was injured quite often

#13 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have to agree with BG on Bradley. He was pretty darn good. Injuries affected his speed though so it wasn't really about coaches letting him go or not. He never returned to form and the team suffered with him sitting in the sideline injured. I was a big fan but totally understood how it unfolded.

#14 Eagle_in_ATL

Eagle_in_ATL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Key words: Versatility and hybrid = "shutdownability"  If an offense can't gameplan your D, they can't beat your D.  I'd like to see a physical team that keeps the D guessing.  I'm tired of looking at the game a being able to call the O and D plays before they snap the ball.  My vote: a pure 3-4 relies on an awesome NT (which we don't have) and at least 2 if not 4 good linebackers (which we also don't have). It may be too much, too soon.  Oh, and B Dawk for secondary coach.

One last thing.  I think the DC is goign to be the guy from San Fran, it would explain why there's been no news.
We won't hear it until after the SB.

#15 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

How many times can you draft  Dline and the team not suffer? How many times can you bring in high price free agents on the Dline and the team not suffer? Not only have they been singularly focused on using number one picks there they traded other picks so they could move up to get them. Throw in a Canadien lineman who doesn't have any elite abilities and it's not very surprising the state of the team.

#16 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

BG- I see the birds going OT in the first and I agree with you on Brandon Williams. I think he is a perfect fit. Problem is I predict he will "WOW" at the Combine. He may get himself into the 1st round!!! Thats why I feel it so important to get out of #4, add some picks in the early rounds, and hopefully feast on the meat and potatoes of this draft class! #1-Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson (depending on how far are able we trade back) #2- Brandon Williams, #3 Desmond Trufant or Jonothan Banks, #4- Phillip Thomas. IMO- Home Run!!!

#17 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Lane Johnson(LT Sooners)- Great size at 6'6 305 amazing quick(4.73) long arms also has played both LT and RT I would not be against Philly trading down in the 1st round and selecting this kid.
Desmond Trufant(CB Washinton)- really this kid is amazing he has been great all week at the Senior Bowl will be a steal in the 2nd round Cb the Eagles need to keep an eye on if we don't take one of the top 2 guys in the 1st round Milliner and Rhodes.
Brandon Williams(DT Missouri Southern)- Kid is massive at 6'3 340 should great power throughout the week and good quickness and footwork for a guy his size. Needs to be a target in the 2nd-3rd round for us.

Those are the 3 players I would love to see eagles draft....Well Xavier Rhodes would be on that list as well but sadly I don't think he will make it to the 2nd round :( i

Phillip Thomas has been wowing at the Senior Bowl plus a strong senior season he could easily work his way as a high 2nd round player maybe even crack late 1st

#18 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

BG- Guess great minds think alike!

#19 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Who in the draft will be able to do what Revis can do? NOBODY!!! That being said we should offer a first and third round pick to Jets. Move Namdi or DRC to a safety and boom instant backfield threat. IF DRC could put on 15-20lbs then I would put him at safety and keep Namdi. Namdi and Revis......(whoa)

#20 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

BTW- Lane Johnson can catch! Tackle eligible!!!

#21 pace7525

pace7525

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

nnamdi and revis have very differnet styles, and revis is hurt ALMOSt as much as vick. He is worthless

DRC and NNamdi both are not good enough tacklers and are not good enough hitters to pay safety, and neither know how to play run support that can not work

#22 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have mention this before the Eagles should aim for 2 young CB maybe draft Desmond round 2 and another in like round 4 or 5 also add a UDFA to the mix along with Marsh and let them all battle it out. Young CB tend to push each to be better. You had Sheldon and Lito, Sean Smith and Vonte Davis(Before he got in trouble) Browner and Sherman. I just think it route we should try again

#23 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Put Revis at 1 and Nnamdi at 2

DRC has the speed and he can learn from a good safety coach.

#24 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

BG- B.W. ??? "The Webb"

#25 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I was seeing the postings about Desean. About him being second or third tier and that he as getting paid way too much. I don't think I see it the same. Megatron is making about 15 million a year. Desean is making about 8.5. That sounds about right to me. Now we all know he signed that deal partly because of his punt return abilities as well. Why they went away from using him there I can't really understand. I guess to keep his health up. So even in your breakdown of tiers if you look at the money you would think you would agree with this. By the way major flaws like Fitz being a tier two receiver, please. Who's better than Fitz? Maybe megatron but that's it. No Greg Jennings anywhere. Overall it was pretty good though considering the amount of receivers to wade through. I'd give Wood's ranking of receivers a B.

#26 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

DRC has the mindset too. Think about it he was the #3 corner last year and he could be the #1 safety if he put in the work. There are a many great safety that once started at corner.

#27 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

C5....Webb sounds good to me he seems like he is worth a chance

#28 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Shady- I can see DRC moving to safety. Actually not a bad idea, in a pinch.  I think the Nnamdi project is over.

#29 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I was hoping I wasn't the only one that can see DRC at safety. Thanks C5

But we never tried Nnamdi at #2, if we had Revis at #1 that would be worth a try.

#30 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I could see DRC getting a lot more INTs at safety especially having Revis at #1 and Nnamdi at #2