Photo
- - - - -

Do players know they make it....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 ronjeremyb

ronjeremyb

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:RANDALL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

hard to like this team on a personal level? Even if Shady's phone was "hacked..." 1 you can can't "hack" a twitter account... what he means if true is he was irresponsible and left someone have access to his phone or his password. Either way true or not.... I get that football players are by and large idiots. I would probably be an idiot too if I was 25 and had millions. But come on... it's on the FO to have clear twitter social network policies.

Been and eagles fan my whole life, but as I've said before on this board I value character. I want to like the people I root for as humans. Never could get behind the team when Vick was the QB. My personal choice. Water under the bridge now, I hope he's played his last game as the face of the franchise. But then last year you also had idiots like Jason Babin et al who just make it so hard to root for these guys. They get millions to play a game and then act like they don't appreciate it.

Maybe there always was morons on football teams, but nowadays because of social media it's out there. It's in our faces. This team needs someone like Brian Dawkins again. Someone we can root for and actually like as a human being.

Who is that person on this team now?

#2 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

You can't care about players on a personal level. Why bother? If McCoy was a ****, but rushed for 1500 yards every year and was a big part of the team winning games, I could really care less.

That's the problem with a lot of fans. They take the game too personal. I could give a crap what any player on the Eagles say. As long as they win ON THE FIELD, they can say anything they want.

#3 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

It's sad. Ideally you'd like to be able to like the people you root for. Unfortunately the world is full of self-entitled jerks with questionable at best character. Athletes being the public figures they are just amplify it a little more.

#4 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,979 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hacked my a**.

#5 BDAWK_4EVER

BDAWK_4EVER

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

As long as they're not killing or raping people or hitting their wives/girlfriends, I couldn't care less what they do off the field if the perform on the field.

#6 ronjeremyb

ronjeremyb

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nah.... I don't want to separate. We as a society elevate these people. Not just with hero worship but also financially. Financially these are the people we reward in our American society. Simply because they are genetically gifted. Don't get me wrong I love sports. Huge part of my life. Being a Philly sports fan is a mindset. Hardwork/Bluecollar/keep quiet and play tough.... Just seems like lately the Eagles don't value these attributes or even take measures to hide them... TWITTER POLICY NOW. Financially punish players who violate. I don't want to hear about any BS about free speech. Players are extremely well compensated for playing a game. No one wants to hear any crying over you can't tweet whatever you want.

I know I don't speak for everyone but for myself I'd rather root for an overachieving team then a underachieving "contender". One of my favorite teams of all time? The 2001 Sixers. Total overachievers. Didn't take home the trophy but I'll never forget that team.

I dont know... it isn't just me I know lots who think this way. I want to LIKE to my pro athletes I root for.

#7 sirvalence

sirvalence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Fan Since:2000-2001

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

hard to like this team on a personal level? Even if Shady's phone was "hacked..." 1 you can can't "hack" a twitter account... what he means if true is he was irresponsible and left someone have access to his phone or his password. Either way true or not.... I get that football players are by and large idiots. I would probably be an idiot too if I was 25 and had millions. But come on... it's on the FO to have clear twitter social network policies.

Been and eagles fan my whole life, but as I've said before on this board I value character. I want to like the people I root for as humans. Never could get behind the team when Vick was the QB. My personal choice. Water under the bridge now, I hope he's played his last game as the face of the franchise. But then last year you also had idiots like Jason Babin et al who just make it so hard to root for these guys. They get millions to play a game and then act like they don't appreciate it.

Maybe there always was morons on football teams, but nowadays because of social media it's out there. It's in our faces. This team needs someone like Brian Dawkins again. Someone we can root for and actually like as a human being.

Who is that person on this team now?

we have some of those types of people...
Jason Avant

Trent Cole

Demeco Ryans- has previous coaches who still talk good about him and gives out full scholarships each year to Alabama students and partial scholarships in a competition to other students for whatever school they want to attend. and he has the Demeco Ryans foundation. if you want to know more about him do your own research

Nnamdi Asomougha- one of the founding fathers of the Asomougha foundation to help the disadvantaged youth in the U.S and the under priveleged people of Africa, recieved inaugural role model of the year award from national conference on citizenship, Henry p IBA citizen atlete award, and quite a few more awards for is work around the community.

theres 4 just to name a few

#8 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,688 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Most players are good people and good characters and not 'social-media nitwits'.

We only hear about the nitwits alot more now because of the 24 news cycle that pervades our culture/society. And the news cycle includes sports.

Shady, unfortunately, is one of the nitwits.

#9 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,195 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Players have personal lives outside of football. They always have, they always will. The internet makes those private lives, public. Try to remember that they have lives that they have to live, mistakes that they have to make and avoid, all on their own.

As long as they aren't breaking the law, let them live their lives and make their own mistakes without judging them. I know that can be a hard thing to do when they do stupid things, but we all do and have done stupid things.

#10 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,979 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Most players are good people and good characters and not 'social-media nitwits'.

Actually I suspect the opposite is probably true. Many play the game because they like to hurt people, they get off on dominating others and making them feel pain. Add to that the fact that many are just like Shady, low IQ, always treated like a star, uneducated with little moral base. What's the % of NFL players who have run ins with the law? What's the % who have any money left 10 years after they retire? But for the talent they are born with many would never have been heard from but for a rap sheet.

#11 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've never been able to embrace a team full of players I can't 'like', and that's been the case with the Eagles really since it became all Reid players. Why is anyone's guess, but since the departure of character guys like Dawk, Trotter, Reese, Douglas, Runyon, Thomas, Lewis, etc., it's been hard to feel any sort of real 'attachment' to the Eagles.

I have high hopes for the Kelly Era, but one of the primary hopes is that along with a championship culture he brings back the type of character within the roster that has been missing since early in the last decade.

#12 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,195 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Why is anyone's guess, but since the departure of character guys like Dawk, Trotter, Reese, Douglas, Runyon, Thomas, Lewis, etc.,

Runyan was a Reid player.

#13 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Runyan was a Reid player.

So was Westbrook. So there were 2 or 3 out of a gazillion. Feel better?

#14 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,195 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Feel better?

No, I didn't feel bad to begin with.

#15 ckudrick

ckudrick

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

I am not buying Shady's hacked claim for one hot minute.

#16 ronjeremyb

ronjeremyb

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Bottom line for me is I hope the Kelly era brings an emphasis on character. Yes there are some on this roster... avant, ryans but they just seem so few and far in between which is sad.

#17 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,195 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Bottom line for me is I hope the Kelly era brings an emphasis on Lombardis.

#18 PhillyPhan13

PhillyPhan13

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

I'm feeling lazy, can someone tell me what shady did or didn't do?

Edit: Ok, I looked it up. Twitter has to be the worst idea ever.

#19 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'm no fan of Twitter, but blaming it for a player not having a f****ng clue is like blaming the drugs for people becoming addicts or blaming the legality of guns for the high crime rate.

#20 PhillyPhan13

PhillyPhan13

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I wasn't blaming twitter. I should have expounded on my thought. Twitter the worse idea ever for someone who doesn't think before pressing send.

#21 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

No doubt about that.

Love your sig, by the way.

#22 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

If your employer told you they were going to regulate your Twitter account after work or on weekends, how would you like it ?
Either way, I think the NFL players union wouldn't allow the owners to regulate most of that stuff.

#23 bungalo71

bungalo71

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

If your employer told you they were going to regulate your Twitter account after work or on weekends, how would you like it ?
Either way, I think the NFL players union wouldn't allow the owners to regulate most of that stuff.

If my employer paid me > $1 million per year, they could regulate my bowel movements for all I'd care.

#24 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

If my employer paid me > $1 million per year, they could regulate my bowel movements for all I'd care.

that's too bad

#25 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,659 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Bottom line for me is I hope the Kelly era brings an emphasis on Lombardis.

Keep wishing, ain't gonna happen, he will be fired at midseason in two years

#26 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,195 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I don't see Lurie as that wishy-washy. He'll give Kelly at least 4 years.

#27 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,205 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

...and Belichek is overrated right?

#28 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,659 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

...and Belichek is overrated right?

with the giants no

#29 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,205 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

with the giants no

Just with the Pats right? Where he won 3 Super Bowl rings and made 5 Super Bowl appearances? Or was that all on Brady?

#30 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,659 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just with the Pats right? Where he won 3 Super Bowl rings and made 5 Super Bowl appearances? Or was that all on Brady?

Parcells & Carrolls defensive players, video tapping, while Brady was throwing dinks & dunks to WR's that where on par with Reids WR's pre TO, Djax, Avant and Maclin