Photo

[Spadaro] How Quickly Can Roster Improve?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
154 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,621 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

A Pro Bowl came and went without a single Philadelphia Eagle in the game, something the team wants to change in a hurry. Upgrading the roster is high on the offseason list ...

View the full article

#2 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

#3 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

The NFC was better all year than the AFC. Yesterday's, game showed it again.

After Championship Weekend

1) Woody 5 wins 1,700 points
2) IHOP 5 wins 1,340 points
3) 101 1 win 840 points

3 men...one 1ring ...Who wants it? SBSTD Champion.

93...your boy Wilson is an amazing QB.

#4 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Dave...we have a lot of work ahead of us to turn this roster around.

#5 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

guess we can just ignore our LB's....

#6 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Congrats triple Ds. No quick fix answers here. The early picks in each round should help turn this situation. One offseason and expecting everything to turn around just isn't plausible though. Elite talent is the phrase nad should be the focus. Swing for the fensces this draft on possible elite talents. I wouldn't go the safe route with guys who are NFL ready but not much more than that for a high ceiling. Developmental high ceiling guys should be the focus. Don't look for bandaids. Opposite to what this article is basically saying I believe the foundation needs to be rebuilt for the future. A three year plan has to be in place. If guys aren't going into their primes three years from now they are expendable.

#7 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

From a player's point of view about the long term health of the game..
http://m.espn.go.com...yId=8889447

Thanks...Cham...

#8 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

This is a weak draft at the top. The jewels, hopefully are at the top of rounds 2 and 3.

#9 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

From a player's point of view about the long term health of the game..
http://m.espn.go.com...yId=8889447

Thanks...Cham...

Welp...we don't have Romans executing Christians at the Colliseum anymore either Mr Pollard....but UFC has become quite popular among the masses...

#10 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts
  • Fan Since:late 70s

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Spuds ... if the goal is simply to be respectable, then I agree that a total rebuild doesn't need to happen. If the goal is to win the superbowl, then the attitude of the front office better be to look to rebuild! There has seemed to be a sense of accomplishment and arrogance coming from the Novacare complex through the last regime. I'm hoping reality set in after these last two seasons to make the organzation realize that they are far away from being an elite team and they start changing the way they do things. There will be 8 home sellouts regardless of the record and this website will still be buzzing. So no need for any sugarcoating, instead I'm hoping for a proper assessment and the desire to build this thing the right way for the long haul!

#11 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Welp...we don't have Romans excuting Christians at the Colliseum anymore either Mr Pollard....but UFC has become quite popular among the masses...

i didn't get into UFC...but i did see pro-boxing dissolve as a once great sport...right in front on my eyes. Great spectator sport in the 60's...70's...80's...especially at the heavyweight division.

#12 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I feel that being honest about this roster is needed. I am a guy who believes in the head coach Chip Kelly. All of the coaches ,whoever they are, will work very hard to be competitive and put the personnel we have in the right positions to be successful, all that stuff. The problem is, we have a very weak roster all over the field. We can't get to the QB on defense. The Defensive End position is terrible as a whole, Cole is aging and Graham has some promise and that's about it. The secondary is one of the worst I have seen in a while, especially at S which may be the worst in the NFL. Asomugha is old and slow and DRC has some talent but don't believe he will be retained. Why pay him when this team is so far from winning? Same goes for keeping Nnamdi, although a move to S for him may be a possibility I guess.. The defensive line has some promise with Cox sord of. The offense has some playmakers on it but getting them the ball is the real question. The offensive line could be OK if Peters, Kelce and Herremans come back healthy, Watkins was an awful pick, all big if's, especially Peters. This roster is bad. We have a long way to go so patience which isn't the city of Philadelphia's strong suit is needed here. Oh and the QB we are probably going to hang our hat on is Nick Foles, if any Eagles fans out there can say we have a QB he's the guy we have no worries at that position is lying. Other than that we should be pretty good

#13 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

true 3d...don't really like the UFC stuff, and used to watch lots of boxing. And you're right bout the heavyweight division. All the big fights now are the middleweight/lightweights.

I'll blame ButterBean...

#14 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

DDD, I was thinking the same thing exactly about boxing. UFC is popular, but if you combined UFC with boxing today, that combination wouldn't be as popular as boxing was by itself say 20-25 years ago... for sure if you go back 30 years! Football has gambling and fantasy that takes it to the next level. Plus its once a week allows for a great buildup. Throw in that most people are off on Sundays and are able to watch games makes it even more popular. IMO if you take the 4 major sports (baseball, basketball, hockey & football) the only game that seems to have progresses from a standpoint of kids learning more about the strategy of how to play the game over the last 30 years is football. I think this is the only plus of all these video games, is that the kids learn a wide variety of plays at a much younger age.

#15 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

true 3d...don't really like the UFC stuff, and used to watch lots of boxing. And you're right bout the heavyweight division. All the big fights now are the middleweight/lightweights.

I'll blame ButterBean...

haha...butter bean...last fight I saw live was Cooney vs Foreman...at AC in '90...

#16 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

DDD, I was thinking the same thing exactly about boxing. UFC is popular, but if you combined UFC with boxing today, that combination wouldn't be as popular as boxing was by itself say 20-25 years ago... for sure if you go back 30 years! Football has gambling and fantasy that takes it to the next level. Plus its once a week allows for a great buildup. Throw in that most people are off on Sundays and are able to watch games makes it even more popular. IMO if you take the 4 major sports (baseball, basketball, hockey & football) the only game that seems to have progresses from a standpoint of kids learning more about the strategy of how to play the game over the last 30 years is football. I think this is the only plus of all these video games, is that the kids learn a wide variety of plays at a much younger age.

Well said Joe...

#17 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Oh I forgot about the LB position... Nope I didn't there is nobody at that position other than Ryans I guess who might not fit into the 3-4 that can play... Awful roster. Tear it down. Tear it all down and rebuild it. Very difficult to do with contracts etc.. but lets get as close as we can. We need a great draft in year 1 for this new regime.

#18 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

We go 3/4...we need a big boy NT in the middle. There is one in the draft. John Jenkins DT weighed in at 360...

#19 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

kmarc.....ryans got let go outta Houston b/c he struggled when they switched to the 3-4 from the 4-3......

Yes. LB's. The foundation of a defense.....ignored for so long here (even in this latest offering from Spudnick)....don't even get me going on LB's again today

#20 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

The move to 3-4 signifies the organization realizes it needs new players on defense.... which I look at as a good thing. That is the main reason I am hoping for a 3-4.

#21 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

haha...Rob Rang stopped having us take Geno...the qb at #4...now has us taking Luke OT. Geno to AR.

#22 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

jhop, Ryans was let go for salary. The fact that he was paid as a STUD MLB in a 4-3 compared to his new role sharing the middle of the field didn't justify his pay. Cushing was also establshing himself as the leader and best on the team at the position, so it was an obvious move with their cap situation. To me that was Howie's best move in realizing that the opportunity was there to get Ryans.

#23 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

ryans i like, don't get me wrong....but we have been struggling at LB overall, namely MLB (prior to Ryans) for bout a decade. I also like Kendricks' size and speed....I think he'll be OK for us. I just want 3 or 4 really good LB's on this team for a change.

#24 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

93...i bet you liked EJ's performance in the senior bowl...

#25 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

jhop, I don't think you get an argument from anybody about wanting 3 or 4 good LBs. The Vermeil teams, Joyner, Evans & Willie T ... they were awesome. 2002 had a shot at greatness if Trotter would have stayed and teamed with Emmons & Barber on the outside! Since losing Emmons, we haven't been the same.

#26 wibinga

wibinga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I don't want to EVER see an Eagle in the Pro bowl because that means we aren't in the Super Bowl. :)

#27 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Landry Jones meets with AR to discuss spread O....at the senior bowl.

#28 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

My ideal situation ... a big nose tackle and the stud rushing OLB and things move in the direction that I want to see. I'm seeing them trying to fit in Cole and Graham because of what has been invested in both players at the other OLB spot. Good thing is that Chip wasn't here when they drafted Graham or decided to pay Cole, so he probably gives it only one year to see if either can fit in... then Oddy Ose!

#29 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wib, good point. However playing in the game and being voted in are different. You won't see a team make the SB without a player voted in. And think about how bad it is for the Eagles not to have even a single player in. 16 teams in the NFC and all SF players need to be replaced. Then you take all the injured players that need to be replaced. It's pretty pathetic when you can't even get one single player to participate or voted in at this point!!!

#30 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

joe...i can't argue with your plan.