Photo
- - - - -

Grigson Named NFL Executive of The Year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,980 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

No front office employee under Lurie ever received the award, not Modrak, not Heckert, not Banner, not Howie.

#2 shady4mvp

shady4mvp

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

should have kept!

#3 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Awards mean nothing. Has he ever put together a " Dream Team "

#4 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

should have kept!

Interviewed for GM here, Howie was hired over him.

#5 Parrot Head

Parrot Head

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, pretty tough when you have one of the top QB prospects ever fall right in your lap.

#6 wussbasket

wussbasket

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Fan Since:2128

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

lurie has hired 2 coaches who have won coach of the year awards.

#7 Solomon

Solomon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 27,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

No front office employee under Lurie ever received the award, not Modrak, not Heckert, not Banner, not Howie.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah

#8 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

lurie has hired 2 coaches who have won coach of the year awards.

He also allowed John Harbaugh to leave while ignoring the death throes of the Reid reign.

#9 gaitherfan

gaitherfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts
  • Fan Since:2000/2001

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

He also allowed John Harbaugh to leave while ignoring the death throes of the Reid reign.

And he was supposed to deny Harbaught a HC interview? Wow.

#10 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

And he was supposed to deny Harbaught a HC interview? Wow.

No, he should have terminated Reid and promoted Harbaugh, and I said so then. Wow.

#11 wussbasket

wussbasket

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

#12 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Sure, its hindsight. But I'm not an owner of an NFL franchise, I'm not a personnel expert, I'm just a fan, and if realized Harbaugh was a great young coach and Reid was done, Lurie should have also, at a minimum. Neither was hard to see. As for Grigson, I had no clue, but again, Lurie should have. His shop. His employees. He's the one with the endless notes, etc.

#13 pgcd3

pgcd3

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 35,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Love this one.

Paul Domowitch @pdomo
Ex-Eagle personnel man Ryan Grigson won TSN Executive of Yr. award. Apparently he wasn't responsible for 2010-11 drafts either.

I'm no Howie fan obviously but Grigson isn't winning any award if he didn't inherit the first pick in the draft in the Andrew Luck year.

#14 wussbasket

wussbasket

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Sure, its hindsight. But I'm not an owner of an NFL franchise, I'm not a personnel expert, I'm just a fan, and if realized Harbaugh was a great young coach and Reid was done, Lurie should have also, at a minimum. Neither was hard to see. As for Grigson, I had no clue, but again, Lurie should have. His shop. His employees. He's the one with the endless notes, etc.

it's unknown as to how either candidate interviewed. i'm sure the owner and yourself have different perspectives of the organization and the direction either one would like the team to go. the obvious is to win a superbowl but maybe lurie saw a better plan that caught his eye from howie than grigson, we will probably never know because we dont know how their interviews went. as for harbaugh i think it would have been difficult to sell the fans on getting rid of reid for a ST's coach, at the time it was unheard of. lurie still believed in reid then and was also kind enough to all a good coach like harbaugh go and interview for jobs elsewhere.

#15 pgcd3

pgcd3

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 35,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Harbaugh I understand.. The hiring of Howie was a move that basically destroyed the franchise. Howie will push out anyone he sees as a threat. He's a Joe banner disciple that actually pushed out banner. That should tell you all you need to know about him. He's Banner on steroids without the Gollum looks

#16 skyboca

skyboca

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Awards mean nothing. Has he ever put together a " Dream Team "

right, bet he never hit the Gold Standard either.

#17 SirReal

SirReal

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Afterbirth

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

They're giving awards for joining a team that tanked the previous year so you got the top draft pick?

#18 Breeze 44

Breeze 44

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Love this one.

Paul Domowitch @pdomo
Ex-Eagle personnel man Ryan Grigson won TSN Executive of Yr. award. Apparently he wasn't responsible for 2010-11 drafts either.

I'm no Howie fan obviously but Grigson isn't winning any award if he didn't inherit the first pick in the draft in the Andrew Luck year.

Did you happen to see the turnover of players on that team? One guy (QB) doesn't do that, give the man his credit, he did a great job there. Plenty of QB's taken #1 in the draft and those teams haven't had the turn around like the Colts did. By your logic than Luck is the MVP, Rookie of the year, QB of the year....anything else?

#19 pgcd3

pgcd3

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 35,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Did you happen to see the turnover of players on that team? One guy (QB) doesn't do that, give the man his credit, he did a great job there. Plenty of QB's taken #1 in the draft and those teams haven't had the turn around like the Colts did. By your logic than Luck is the MVP, Rookie of the year, QB of the year....anything else?

Luck was widely acknowledged to be the best QB prospect to come out in a decade. He led that team. There's no question he'll be leaving WIlson and RGIII in the dust in the next few years

#20 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

He did a good job, without Andy running the show. Now we get to see how Howie does without Andy running the show.

#21 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Far too easy to attribute all of Grigson's success to Luck, easy and inaccurate. He successfully rebuilt the O line to protect Luck, as just one example...and using our castoffs apparently.

#22 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

right, bet he never hit the Gold Standard either.

Touche

#23 JBinPA

JBinPA

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Fan Since:1960s

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, pretty tough when you have one of the top QB prospects ever fall right in your lap.

Yeah, he only turned over 90% of the roster and the entire coaching staff in one off season! Must have made tons of poor decisions, not like our Eagles who never make any poor decisions.

Well deserved award!

#24 WR_please

WR_please

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

You have to look at who played QB for the Colts in 2011. They didn't have a guy like Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell; they had Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky. They were built to have a complementary running game. When you have a terrible QB you need a running game. They didn't. With that their undersized D finally got exposed for what they were.

Sure Grigson hired a solid staff but the difference was getting rid of the old defense and drafting a QB. Usually the latter isn't so easy but they got lucky to be terrible in the right year. I would say his most difficult and best decision was retaining Reggie Wayne. Everybody forgets that he was virtually gone at this point last year.

However, had Andrew Luck got injured this season the perception would've been entirely different. Drew Stanton was their backup. The one position that most plagued the team in 2011 wasn't effectively addressed in 2012. They should feel blessed Luck was so durable.

#25 biglou22

biglou22

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,496 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Harbaugh I understand.. The hiring of Howie was a move that basically destroyed the franchise. Howie will push out anyone he sees as a threat. He's a Joe banner disciple that actually pushed out banner. That should tell you all you need to know about him. He's Banner on steroids without the Gollum looks

You,,, like 100% of every fan has ABSOLUTELY ZERO clue as to what goes on in the front office. Nor do you have a clue as to what Roseman has or hasn't done.

Unbelievable. I love all the business experts on these boards that MOSTLY work 9-5 jobs.
Not saying you are the typical Ameraican that works for someone and is blibnd to the world. But my god. How the frigg would anyone, including you and me, especially a non business owner have a clue about what goes on in the friggen business world. And specifically with the Eagles ??

There isn't a person in the world that could tell me a thing about the inner workings of my business. Nor would I ever dream of thinking my dumb arse would know the inner workings of another business as sure as all you people on here do.

You, like the rest of this boar5d has NO CLUE about it.

#26 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

:roll: Still having nightmares about that awful Howie Roseman, I see. I thought we worked past that.

#27 SirReal

SirReal

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Afterbirth

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Far too easy to attribute all of Grigson's success to Luck, easy and inaccurate. He successfully rebuilt the O line to protect Luck, as just one example...and using our castoffs apparently.

You are correct, of course, but it goes the other way, too. The work he did with the Oline and other positions, while admirable, would not have been as noticable without a stud QB to tie it all together.

#28 shady4mvp

shady4mvp

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Interviewed for GM here, Howie was hired over him.

yep was so pissed about it.

#29 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

This......

The colts roster wasnt to different from the previous season IMO. Andrew Luck fell into thier laps and signed some lesser know players and traed for Vontae Davis from Miami. Isnt it weird how the Colts were one of the top run franchises from around 2001 or so up until the 2011 season. Then Peyton needed 4 neck operations and goes out for the year and the Colts go 2-14. Ddi they tank it after week #4 or #5 so they could win the Luck lotto?? I think its very possible. Then to every ones susprise they landed the #1 pick and drafted Luck then boom, they make the playoffs again.

Im not sure if they did blow games and alot of 4th quarter leads but its weird and funny how EVERYTHING fell into place for them. Hell I would love it if the Eagles went 2-14 or 3-13 this upcoming season and we get the #1 overall pick and there is a Luck, RG3 QB sitting there for us to draft. Yes it would be horrible to watch it, but if we could land someone like Luck, rg3, newton it would make it worth it IMO

#30 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,675 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Until Harbaugh wins the SB he's the same as Reid minus 2 more CG's,