[News] Fan-Demonium: What Does Kelly Want?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,505 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

The hot topic right now is the search for a defensive coordinator. We really don't know who Chip Kelly is going to hire to run his defense.  Guessing is fun, but waiting is frustrating.  Oh well, ...

View the full article

#2 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,834 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

A QB.

#3 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

omelette

;)

#4 SinCityEaglesFan

SinCityEaglesFan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

i could go for an omlette right now... ham, cheese, mushrooms, bacon... some hash browns and wheat toast..

#5 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

so after reading this article we are talking about omlettes?   im so impatient, i want to see a few moves for the coaching staff and roster.   i cant wait for the draft and basically free agency

#6 brianfive

brianfive

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I stoped reading at the part that said casy matthews was a star!   LOL

#7 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

thanks for the laugh brian

#8 loquie

loquie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I have to agree that the Eagles coaching staff didn't use some players to the best of their abilities. last year Peters was hurt, but in previous years when he was healthy they never threw him a pass as a tackle eligable receiver. Jason Peters started in the league as a tight end with very good hands. Why not try it? Brandon Botkin played some offense at Georgia. Why not have a wildcat type set of plays for a capable runner and passer like S,F, did with Kappernack? True he's not a quarterback, but he has the skill set to do alot more than they used him for. Use the players skill sets and become less pradictable and the Eagles will improve.

#9 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have to agree with Brian. The moment I saw him mention star and Mathews in the same sentence it just made the topic unreadable. Remember how leaf turned out, a star of college and a complete waste of time for the NFL and now he is wasting tax payers money sitting in prison.

#10 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

How bout Rob Ryan as our DC?

#11 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

It's funny how Vinny Curry is rated higher in this than Kendricks and Graham. Last I remember Curry has less sacks, tackles than Kendricks and Graham.

#12 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Curry isn't "rated" anywhere....he was simply listed among the young players who might fit the description of "lengthy". Read the article please

#13 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

If there was ever a time to switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4, it would be now...now that this defense needs a complete overhaul from the ground up. What better time than now?

#14 Moe Greene

Moe Greene

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,234 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

rob ryan sucks.

#15 eagle_leyden

eagle_leyden

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't think the defense needs a complete overhaul. Plus, coaches know they only have about 3 years to make their mark in this league or they're gone. Moving to 3-4 would be a good idea if it wasn't for our personnel.

Kendricks and Ryans are 4-3 linebackers, and there is no other way to look at it. Kendricks wouldn't play OLB or ILB in a 3-4, and I don't think Ryans would be terrible at ILB, but it's been well documented that he is a natural 4-3 MLB. Cole and Graham wouldn't fit, which most likely means Hunt and Curry wouldn't fit. I think all of our DTs could play 3-4 DE, but we wouldn't have a nose tackle, unless we drafted Star.

Our main area of concern is our secondary, and I just don't really understand why we would change a scheme that would have us worry about our front 7, when our defensive backfield is the area that needs the most improvement.

I wish we would have grabbed Jack Del Rio when we had the chance last year.

Great 4-3 defensive coordinator

#16 eagleswintoday

eagleswintoday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

ahhhhh?

#17 jmac1302

jmac1302

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

eagle_leyden, Mychal Kendricks played OLB and ILB in a 3-4 scheme at Cal. So, he actually has more experience in the 3-4 than the 4-3. Ryans has some experience in a 3-4 from when Houston was switching. Though he wasn't nearly as good. But, he also wasn't that healthy either. So, who knows? Cole and Graham could be rush OLB's.
After saying all this though... I agree that it's hard to figure where Hunt and Curry fit. Also, agree that we would need to get a couple NT's via free agency and/or draft. And you're right to question a scheme change when our players are tailored for a 4-3 and secondary issues were the major thing that held the defense back last year. I too think if we invest in upgrading the safety and corner positions and get a quality 4-3 D-coordinator then we would be fine.

#18 TravelerVic

TravelerVic

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Chinese curse : "May You live in Interesting Times". Times sure are exciting and interesting. For the first time in many, many years my fantasy draft is a blank page because I have no idea what the future structure will be.
Do we pick OT, DB or do we go with NT for 3-4??? And that is just with the first selection which theoretically should be the easiest one.

#19 eagle_leyden

eagle_leyden

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

I know Graham and Cole were projected as 3-4 OLBs coming out of the draft, but they both put on a lot of weight to make the change. They could probably lose the weight just as easily though. I'll have to take you're word on Kendricks being a 3-4 LB, and I know DeMeco could play in a 3-4 when healthy.

Like I said, moving to 3-4 isn't a bad idea. I like what you can do with a 3-4, and a lot of the top defenses use that scheme. I just think we have the foundation for a good front 7 in the 4-3 scheme, but secondary is extremely important in a 4-3. Having a top notch safety or two solid safeties is a necessity. Seattle comes to mind; solid LBs, decent pressure, amazing backfield in Earl Thomas, Chancellor, Browner, and Sherm. When Johnson was here, we always had 2 or 3 pro bowlers in the secondary alone. If one of our current CBs can return to pro bowl form and we get a safety via FA or draft, we aren't in bad shape.

Plus a good 4-3 coordinator...

#20 BirdGang45

BirdGang45

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,963 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Good article Tommy.

Lets get this rolling Chipster!

#21 khollen

khollen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

If they switch to a 3-4 then they better get at least 1 impact player at linebacker. Whether it be through the draft or Free agency. Right now they don't have the talent to play a 3-4. Ryans and Kendricks are the only 2 i have seen that are good enough. Unless like eagle_leyden said if they move Cole and Graham to linebacker, but then i feel they would be lacking in the front 3.

#22 will_esco

will_esco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Not sure if anyone saw this, but I read this article about Alex Smith being linked to Coach Kelly, and thought it was interesting.

http://www.philly.co...Chip_Kelly.html

I must admit, I really havent been the Alex Smith fan, but you must admit that over the last few years he's been consistant.  True he was labeled a 1st round bust for many years, but at this point I think he's a proven veteran QB.

#23 Steagles92

Steagles92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

michael vick bye and alex smith is a good idea because he has carry and precise pass

#24 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

@Steagles92....... I agree with you. Just look what Smith did for the 9ers last year and the few games he played this year. Sure he's not as dynamic as Kapernick, but he throws excellent passes. Good mentor for Foles too.

#25 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I completely agree with Leyden....if we change to a 3-4, we create so many personnel holes that it becomes difficult to fill our current voids at S, CB, and OLB.

Regarding Alex smith, I hope we don't get him.  He's been mediocre at best for years.  Jim harbaugh comes in and proves that with a good OL, a great running game, and some harbaugh coaching magic, smith can be a great game manager.  However we all know his ceiling is low and he will only ever be a game manager (with the correct tutelage and supporting cast). I don't know why we would pick him up when he's been in the league 7 years and is still average at best. Foles can be just as good and probably can be better.  I'd much rather stick with Foles and I don't want to pay smith more than he's worth because the solid half-year he's had.

Focus on the defense, it's the only way we get competitive again.  Don't get Alex smith