Photo

[News] Is Cole Key To 2013 D Plans?

This topic is in the process of being archived.
256 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

PhiladelphiaEagles.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,793 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

There was every reason to think that 2012 would be a special season for defensive end Trent Cole. He had a new contract, he was healthy and he was primed to do what he had been doing since the Eagles drafted him in 2005 ...

View the full article

#2 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Keep Cole if we stay 4-3 trade Cole if we go to a 3-4 is how I see it

#3 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

3-4 requires too much of an overhaul. If we keep the 4-3 with a few personnel changes we will be greatly improved.

#4 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

For the record I still believe Cole can be one of the better DE in the league even after this down yr. I think Cole is better suited to a normal DL front rather then the wide 9 where I believe he lacked some of the speed needed. Cole is also one of the best run defending DE in the entire league which is truely underrated skill for the position.

Also even if Cole can't be teh pass rusher he was in the early yrs he would still provide good leadership and run defending skills to are team and we could rotate soemone like Curry to pass rush

#5 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

mostly scheme affected trent cole. he rushed off the edge the same way too often and the few less snaps he took also played a part in it, babin mentioned that the day he got released. the combo of scheme and rotation didnt work well for him, so i imagine same for cole. cole is to valuable to trade. trade him for what??? cole is probaly the only relentless defender we have. he hustles and makes plays from the line of scrimmage to flats. he will be back on track next year. no big deal.

#6 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

If we go 3/4 do we still win our division?

#7 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Oh silly Dave don't you realize that 34 is the best defense ever!!!! Even more so since Andy Ried didn't use it!!! Yea blow up defense so that we can get an actual coach and QB in 2-3 years.

#8 buzzsurfs

buzzsurfs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Love Cole, but he doesn't have the speed needed to be effective in pass coverage. We couldn't even field three quality linebackers the past few years. Why would we switch to a scheme requiring four? Gotta agree with BleedingGreen.

#9 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

3-4 we get gashed with current personnel

#10 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

eagles also signed offensive coordinator sumthing lazor. idk what he will be for the team tho

#11 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

3-4 requires too much of an overhaul. If we keep the 4-3 with a few personnel changes we will be greatly improved.

do we still win our division with a 3/4 D?

#12 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

W...that Lazor could be qb coach...according to reports...nothing official yet.

#13 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

We aren't winning the division of awhile. Not until we have a QB that can win games consistentl. Giants will have the fusion next year, and depending on RG3 injury we might be 3rd in the division. Our problem wasn't just the coaches like what people think, there are a lot of players who quit on this team last year and should be let go.

#14 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

We aren't winning the division of awhile. Not until we have a QB that can win games consistentl. Giants will have the fusion next year, and depending on RG3 injury we might be 3rd in the division. Our problem wasn't just the coaches like what people think, there are a lot of players who quit on this team last year and should be let go.

CCL...93 and Shady have us winning our division...year 1 with Chip...and i guess with 4/3 or 3/4 D.

#15 grumpydave

grumpydave

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Cole's gone after his stellar performance in 2012, he's gone. Old and slow. He'll be good trade bait.

#16 Bruzer9.5

Bruzer9.5

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Time is da enemy,.. not enuff time,... new terminator units need time to develop,...while older units fade away,..."Chip" ,...ha, good name,...5-year deal,..not enuff time,...

#17 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Win our division with who? Foles balls float, he is lucky he wasn't picked off more times than he was. Vick fumbles a whole lot and when asked to sit in the pocket all day he ends up throwing the ball to the wrong team. There are a lot of tiny CBs in the NFL but when they play the eagles the look big because our WRs are even smaller. We only have a running game, that's about it beside chips gimmick offense.

#18 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Man I'm so biased when it comes to Trent. He is a warrior. One of the few guys I can say that didn't quit. You could tell how much the poor season wore on him. 43 or 34 I want Trent out there. Of course the sooner he is told what the decision is the better he can prepare himself. I really don't believe he can't play in the league anymore. He had a down year but seeing how things went(everything was out of whack) I write it up to an aberration. It is easy to point at his age and say he has lost it. I don't believe it for a second though. I think he still has a couple more years of being a strong leading influence on this team. I don't think you can find better character than Trent in anyone. His resurgence this year is a lock. Those who doubt will eat some words.

#19 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I support Chip, but i don't see us winning a division year 1. We are soft undersized on D...lack proper football fundamentals everywhere. I see year 3 as the turning point. He will have all his players and enough time to get his philosophy across to the team.

#20 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Football fundimentals are not just forgotten in one year. These people on this team do not have the skill the NFL requires. It's all about the money because win or lose they still get paid. If Vick only got made 2-3m for losing a season instead of 13m I bet you he wouldn't be stupid with the ball (even though that is still high). It's pathetic when your QB is buying time and WR are not even attempting to get open. Or when they get the ball they get scared as a defender is about to hit them. There were times I saw our WR curl into a ball, this isn't soccer or baseball man up. Past Eagle players would be ashamed to see that, and most played when hits were way more devastating and harder than they are now.

#21 pace7525

pace7525

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

trent is and will always will be a hero in philly, but its time he proves himself all over again. He was and still is a top notch DE, however he needs to start playing like it. His last 2 seasons (not about sack totals or anything like that but overall play) has been down. Obviouly he is getting older and needs to once again prove he can play at not only a 'great' level but an elite level. There are players like djax who are in exactly the same boat as trent rn and have had a down season. Everyone is talking about trading them or releasing them. Yall are hypocrits if you dont think trent needs to as well.

#22 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

3D...I didn't say we were going to win are division I just said I would not be shocked if it happened.

#23 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

CCL...our DB's won't tackle. They flail with an arm. They have lost the fundamental technique to tackle because it requires being physical. We need some tough guys.

3D...I didn't say we were going to win are division I just said I would not be shocked if it happened.

ok...so only Shady has us winning our division year 1...

#24 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

dont believe we will have a down year. we will probaly win the division. the nfc ( nobody freakin cares) is always open. we have a talented team and are about to lose alot of dead weight and get more talent, new coach, new schemes. im gonna make the first record prediction.............. eagles go 11-5 in the upcoming season. 3 of the five losses come in row. u heard it here first!

#25 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Chip must hold the players accountable. No more can we say...the players get it but don't fix the problem on the field. Brownie must be taught to hold onto the rock...or be on the bench. Chip must take charge and let the players know the consequences of bad play.

#26 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

do we still win our division with a 3/4 D?

My prediction was with us keeping the 4-3 and making a few personnel changes to the D we have. Going to a 3-4 will put us behind the ball.

#27 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

In my opinion 6-8 wins is realistic and that's even pushing it, but it's way to early to predict anything. We don't even know who are QB is yet so keep your expectations to a minimum his first year because the first thing that goes wrong those same people with high expectations will say Chip sucks and he needs to go, you watch it will happen!

#28 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Ray Lewis has taken a banned substance so he could recover from triceps tear this season...that's the rumor

#29 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I feel confident that Chip will get our team in the right mindset starting week 1 of OTAs. I say we have half the turnovers we had this season. I'm so glad this season will be over by this time next week :towel:

#30 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

In my opinion 6-8 wins is realistic and that's even pushing it, but it's way to early to predict anything. We don't even know who are QB is yet so keep your expectations to a minimum his first year because the first thing that goes wrong those same people with high expectations will say Chip sucks and he needs to go, you watch it will happen!

well said...give Chip some time. Winning a division year 1 could be fools gold over the long haul. He needs to build his team.