Photo

[News] Smooth Transition For O-Line?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,780 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Following the 2010 season, the Eagles made a philosophical change along the offensive line. When Howard Mudd was hired to oversee the offensive line, he craved more athletic linemen who can get upf...

View the full article

#2 Rivickulous

Rivickulous

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Fan Since:Inception

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Let Watkins go back to fighting fires.

#3 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Lets be honest there are alot of question marks on this offensive line.. The biggest being will Jason Peters be the same player he was before the injury.. If Joeckel is there at 4 the Eagles have to pick him. I don't think he will be but he would sure be nice to have especially if Nick Foles is the starting QB. I really hope he is not but if Foles or a young QB is the guy we need to protect him.

#4 MJB2013

MJB2013

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Well whoever our quarterback is he is not going to be on his back as much.

#5 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

joeckal will not be our first pick

We do not have to pick joeckal. We have plenty of young o linemen and 4 returning starters. If the best player in this draft was a running back would we still have to take him?

#6 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

joeckal will not be our first pick

We do not have to pick joeckal. We have plenty of young o linemen and 4 returning starters. If the best player in this draft was a running back would we still have to take him?

>>del sub; you know I'd take the RB.

I keep going back to DANA BIBLE. The guy that Ray Rhodes brought in when Jon Gruden was plucked from his staff by the Raiders. DANA BIBLE was a decent, hardworking collegiate coach from Stanford ( I think I am right)...and was a great WCO X's and O's man. He was crucified in the pros. His offense got so bad that Rhodes put Bill Musgrave in charge of play call at about mid-season on the way to a 3-13 finish. My concern is about the potential DANA BIBLES on Chip Kelly's staff. Guys who look great at the college level,but, will sink like a lead weight in the NFL.

Heven forbid we get an OL coach like that....it won't matter who they players are or who is healthy. QB? won't matter either.

#7 floydian022

floydian022

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

@dub: I'm not saying I completely disagree about Joeckel there, or that he is a lock, but consider:

1. Of those 4 returning starters, 2 are coming off of serious injuries(1 of which was a re-injury)

2. Only 1 of those guys is under 30(Peters & Mathis are 31, Herremans is 30, Kelce is 25).

3. Dunlap is also an UFA as well as Scott. That leaves Bell(who had a shot to start for Peters and promptly lost it), Watkins(who also had his shot to start and couldn't hang, and will ALREADY be 29 in November), Reynolds, Vandervelde & a few other young but relative unknowns, and Kelly, who may be the one out of that handful with some potential AND youth.

I'd love to see them focus on secondary help, personally, but it may be just too hard to pass up on someone who can anchor your LT position for the next decade.

#8 eagleswintoday

eagleswintoday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

so what they are still realy good as one

i am a optomist not a pestamist

#9 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Priority list is safety, cb, lb , ol, qb,

Wr, te

#10 MJB2013

MJB2013

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

We honestly don't need Joeckel the o-line is going to be good this season with ur starters I say Milliner first. Safety second if not quarterback or we can just keep Colt Anderson and move asoumguh to safety and get a Player like Ryan Nassib some one with great intangibles.

#11 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Best OT in the draft should be our first pick. Best S left in the draft should be our 2nd pick. For our 3rd pick I would love a strong, tall, fast, red-zone threat WR if one is left at that point.

#12 Brodieman687

Brodieman687

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Safety is biggest need followed by corner. Value may dictate that we draft corner, safety, but if we don't fix our defense, we will have big problems. OLB also a need and OT is a need. Other than that, I'd take another young QB, but plan on Foles being the starter.

My proposed draft order: CB, S, LB/DE, OL, WR,QB or best available

#13 eaglespheak

eaglespheak

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Fan Since:70s

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Lazor...............Who the

#14 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

You can get quality linemen in rounds3-5. As for CB or safety not so much.

#15 ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Fan Since:2005?

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Herremans, Kelly...... thats how i want the line to look next year
i dont think we should take joeckel in the draft, if he's there, use hiim as bait to trade down?

#16 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Ok well S should go first for us then we have been so weak there since BDawk left. So sad....

#17 ThomasMaine

ThomasMaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

As the FO has said several times, the draft is driven by the value of the players available and not position need. As it should be. Position is to decide between available players on the same rated tier.
Don't waste picks desperately trying to fill a need in some order when plenty of later round picks step up their game and start in the league.
Stick to the board.

#18 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Maybe Reid should have concentrated on better players instead of hiring the "best" o-line coach and "best" d-line coach? Sheesh, when you put the last two season in review --- Reid really *u**ed up this team.

#19 ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

@thomasmarine - so what if we take all bpa and the draft goes like this LT, RB, WR, RB, QB, P, TE?
we'll go through another season with garbage defense all because we took bpa through the draft

#20 ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

BPA only works when theres a guy thats 10x better then everyone else.... or when you feel there isnt a guy that is good enough to fill your position of need

#21 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm all for letting positions get decided in camp, however we have been weak at S since BDawk left. We need to get best safety in draft first. Then we can play whoever is on board, after we get a top tier safety for once.

#22 phillykeene

phillykeene

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

There isn't a DB or Safety that is good enough to be picked at 4th overall. I would look to trade down with the RAMS and get another pick in the 1st or 2nd round. This team needs playmakers and true grit football players. Looking for guys with an edge or play with a mean streak. This finesse football team is far too soft in every phase of the team. Need to change the culture and attitude of the team. Joekel, Warmack, or Lotulelei at 4. All 3 dominant at their respective position. Guards are tough to justify that high but Warmack was absolutely dominate at Alabama. As I stated before there should not be a single job on either line safe. Although Cox, Curry, Boykin and Kendricks are good building blocks for the D moving forward. All others either look to trade or cut. Rather have new players come in and compete... far too many of AR leftovers that quit last season on this franchise. Trade who has value and move on.

#23 Trillest_OA

Trillest_OA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Fan Since:always

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

@ThaPhenom I agree...BPA doesn't necessarily work for every team like that. We should draft based on needs. I'm all in for Secondary first, either S or CB in the first two rounds

#24 ThomasMaine

ThomasMaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm not saying that you totally ignore need but if there is no player at a need position that is worth the draft spot then pick someone else or trade down. Use FA or trades to get what you don't draft. So at the 4 spot what is there that goes with need? A OT and CB? I totally agree that safety is big need but to use the 4th pick is a waste when you could trade down and get what you want plus. Going into the draft with need defining your picks when it is always a bit of a gamble on most players isn't getting the most value out of the draft. Get more picks.
McCoy 2nd rd, Celek 5th, Cole 5th, Peters undrafted(he did switch positions). Don't take a safety with the forth pick when you could take him later, add a pick, and some future Pro-bowl Safety will probably be drafted in the 3rd round or later.

#25 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Talking about the O line. I think if healthy this is a good group of guys. We just lacked the depth. So when everyone got hurt we didn't have solid backups. I wonder what round Long is gonna go in. He is perfect for Kelly's tempo. He is tall, strong, has long arms and can move well. Guys like Kelce and Mathis can benefit from Chip's style. Cause they can move fast. I just wonder if Peters coming off an injury that bad can come back and move that fast. If he is completely healthy, I think he can. But we need some young guys like Long, that are use to that hurry up tempo. To develop. We gottta take the best available guys in the first few rounds. Other then RB, There is not a position that does not need to improve. Yeah we need a OT, Safety, CB, LB, G, DT, TE etc. But we made mistakes before by not grabbing the best guy or trading out. Missed on some great players. That could of made all the difference. If Joeckel is available at 4 then, it is a no brainer. What if Geno is their at 4. Can we afford to possibly miss the next star QB? Their will be good TE's, linebackers and D and O lineman in the later rounds. QB's, CB's and Safteys of any value will be gone by round round 3 or 4.

#26 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Plus know one knows whos stock will rise at the combine. We might be able to get Eric Reid in early round 2. Everyone can use a safety, now a days.

Elam should go rd 1.

Everyone does their mock drafts. They are never even close.

#27 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Raven, Niners didn't draft completely on need. They got some top O line picks when needed etc. They never passed on talent. The Ravens really didn't need Upshaw last year but so many teams drafted by need, that he was still their. Hard to believe, he is a beast and fits their 3-4. They got a steal in the late 1st rd. Draft based on talent. If you can get talent and need. It is a win,win. But to build a championship team it takes talent. Can't waste a top 4 pick on a Safety, cause their is no top 4 safety. Now if Dee Milliner improves his stock at the combine then maybe. But we can get Oregon ST's Pryor at CB in a later round. So we can not waste a top 4 pick in the first few rounds on need, if they are not worth the pick.