Photo
- - - - -

Why not create incentives to bring back the drop kick?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

The drop kick is a lost art, especially after the shape of the football changed decades ago. Doug Flutie was the last player to execute one - he successful converted an extra point while with the Patriots.

Suppose the NFL were to enact a rule, say, making a drop kick from beyond 25 yards worth 4 points. Gotta think that we'd see a few more of these plays, and create more interest in the game all the while.

#2 eaglenugget

eaglenugget

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

No

#3 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

tackling is a lost art, too...they should give points for that...

#4 NOTW

NOTW

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,878 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Creating good threads is a lost art.

#5 SNOORDA

SNOORDA

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I dont like change. Especially to the sport I love. The only change I ever agreed with was bring in intant replay.

#6 NOTW

NOTW

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,878 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I dont like change. Especially to the sport I love. The only change I ever agreed with was bring in intant replay.

There have been many, many changes to the sport you love. Originally, touchdowns were only 4 points and were only had by running the ball. There weren't always kicks, the dropkick you are opposed to used to be a part of football, but they changed the sport you love. Things like the point system, passing the ball instead of throwing, inserting field goals and extra points as options are all things that weren't originally there in the sport you love.

The sport you love changes every year with new rules. Challenges is a more recent major change. They added that change to the sport you love, too.

#7 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,596 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

The dropkick never left the rule book. It's not in use anymore because the shape of the ball changed. However, just as a long field goal can be an exciting play (all the more so at the end of a game) because it is not a gimme, I would think that a drop kick at the end of the game would be equally exciting. To me, the most boring play in football is the extra point since it is almost automatic. The game is more interesting when we don't know how a play will unfold.