Photo

[News] Vermeil Expects Kelly To Succeed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,490 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

If anyone knows what it takes to succeed in Philadelphia, it's former head coach D Vermeil. The first coach to guide the Eagles to an appearance in the Super Bowl, Vermeil finished his seven-ye...

View the full article

#2 GreenBackBirds

GreenBackBirds

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

2014 Super Bowl Champs. You heard it here. Philly will be average this coming year and then reach the promise land the following year.

#3 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

the wildcat got more or less squashed after 1 season....so will the "hocus pocus" read option

#4 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Kelly looked around at Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll and said...'if these putzes can do THAT.....wait till you see what I have for you".

#5 GreenBackBirds

GreenBackBirds

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

This team will be either 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 next year. My pre-draft, pre-season guess is 8-7-1. Our eagles have a long way to go on Defense. I personally would draft Star. Put him next to Fletcher Cox and we would have two mean DT's for years. I wouldn't mind moving back to like 8 thru 15 either and picking up an additional 2nd rounder. Then if Kelly wanted Geno, Barkley or a corner, safety or a big receiver later in the 1st round that would make more sense. I just don't want a wasted #4 pick on a QB, CB, S or WR. We can get the exact same player later in the 1st round. Please don't reach. Heck, depending on the DEF scheme we go with--TE'O may be available (fall big time in the 1st round or into the 2nd round, due to being young and a bonehead) for us later. Besides the goober imaginary story and the national championship play, he is one hell of a football player. Plus, TE'O will put on weight and muscle in the pros. If I had to guess when he gets drafted, It would probably be 17-22 in the 1st round. I'll go with 19. Anyways, just spitballing here. One of numerous ways it can go. Love this time of year. The excitement of the Superbowl (wish we were in it), New head coach and coordinators, everybody's guesstimates about the upcoming---coaching staff, trades, free agency, current roster, NFL draft and the fresh season. I have been an EAGLES fan for over 30 years and wouldn't trade it for the world.

#6 MJB2013

MJB2013

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

If we switch to3-4 sign Paul Kruger from ravens becuz they won't be able to resign

#7 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

People talking Super Bowl.... We don't even have a QB.

#8 MJB2013

MJB2013

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

2nd round pick? Robert Woods
Highlight tape: http://m.youtube.com...h?v=1aLPm38LBwg

#9 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Eagles were and has been a coach-driven team, instead of tweaking personnel strengths (relied on their schemes) and expects their QB's to play it out. In some cases, it's a small remedy and the schemes remained the same for their opponents to counter.

A personnel-driven team needs only to understand their roles, in the position the schemes that is called for. In this case, teach them up and get out of the way, let them do it, all the way down to a fault.

The only way the personnel will know what went wrong, what need be corrected and how it should be done. They either perform or hit the bench, it's that simple and it's no one elses fault. Each individuals are driven by their own physical and mental strengths at their top performances. All that the coaches asked for, is to be very intelligence to the gameplan.

The only fault in these personnel-driven team, is there isn't enough personnel on a given NFL team to warrant success at personnel depth. But schemes can also be change by shifting personnel, at a glance. Personnel-driven is about how they work together as a whole unit, as oppose to coach-driven team camaraderie, where the schemes are driven by the coaches, instead of the personnel.

The advantages is getting personnel to operate exclusively with the unit, as far as schemes are concerned. This helps the coaches fine-tune the schematics and mechanisms of the gameplan. A lot of that goes into the run games, that will allow to open into the passing game. There are no permanent set of schemes, it becomes variable occurring to defensive setup.

The OL must play smart, physical and quick. The WR's must run routes, whether they know it's a passing game or not, always be on the lookout to become a physical blocker. The RB's must also be ready to be physical blockers as well. The result is this unit working in unison to keep manipulating defenses. And the QB, must decide before the ball is snapped, whether it's a run or passing game. He, at least has up to 2 seconds to get the ball into motion. There isn't much of a scheme, except it's a personnel-driven unit, they see it as it is fit. Hence, the no-huddle formation, majority of the time it outgains the defenses because of the run/pass ability.

Therein lies the question, what kind of QB will it take to run a personnel-driven team. Not much, but has a high football IQ and a steady, accurate strong arm. He won't be ask to run, he'll run on instinct. He won't be passing a ton, but he'll gun it down the field. He will be protected, giving the ball to his runners. He needs to be a quick thinker and react on pure impulse, getting sacked will definitely be his fault, well, he had up to 2 seconds to get the ball moving. There are some young QBs out there, with those simple attributes. Doesn't need to be great, but is personnel-driven.

#10 applestillskins

applestillskins

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Fan Since:The Sack!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

How bad you think the Riot will be when the Birds win the Super Bowl? Will the streets be flowing with Riot Juice?

#11 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Need a QB before we can think about winning anything.

#12 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Just cause Foles does not fit exactly in Kelly's scheme. Does not mean he is not a good QB. That gives us the best chance to win games now. Not saying they don't try to find the mobile fast big arm QB, to develop. But they are gonna get the best payers like they did last year. If not trade back and get extra picks. Or trade Nnamdi or Djax. I know Djax fits the Kelly mold, but that is no excuse to pay him top wide out money. Lets face it, he has not been that explosive player we seen a couple years ago. He is either hurt or under achieving. The combine will change players stock. like the senior bowl, look at Georgia's DT Jenkins and especially M. Teo. Cause of Jenkins poor performance and Teo not showing up and all the BS that has been going on in his life. They have dropped from top 5 picks to late 1st early 2nd round picks. If we can get Teo in round 2, who gives a crap about all the nonsense. So he is not the sharpest knife in the draw or maybe he is gay. Either way he is a beast, and if we want to go 3-4 both those guys fit the mold. If Geno Smith is their for some reason at 4 or if he impresses in the combine. They will trade up to get him.

#13 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yeah we need a OT but if Joeckel is not their , then they trade up or back.

#14 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Silver that sounds like Foles to me.

#15 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

If we want a QB Alex Smith is a great pick if he goes into FA. He could mentor Foles for the future and lead us to the NFC title game all in the same year.

#16 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

im on board for robert woods if he can consistently play like those highlights show. i wanna see his low lights.

ppl stop putting foles down, we dont NEED a qb, just yet. how many rookie qbs have u seen come in as a back up, and take over and actually get into the record books? foles will be ok, he kept the starting job away from that sorry vick, and actually he won that job fromo vick in preseason..it was just reid and the front office put that dumb contract on vick and had to start him. vick looked awful and got hurt as always. foles is really good. he is no kolb, u fans will want him out, he will go to another team and be a top 8 qb.

#17 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Alex Smith I think would definitely be our best option if we want to at least compete in 2013. Goodbye to Vick and his monster cap # and Nick Foles in my opinion just isn't the QB of the future or the presest.

#18 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

i cant believe some of u would want alex smith? really ??? why??? he isnt good. he isnt young, he isnt that guy to lead this team. some of u guys just make comments about players u only seen play once. alex smith hsnt been good , he had a nice few games last year which came from a few good throws and runs to seal sum games. which is why his stock and name got thrown around. thats not what his career has looked like.

#19 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

just like vick, after he had 6 good games in 2010 ppl thought he was amazing, and gave him a huge contract. what about those 10 other games? what about his turnovers then? he did get seal our fate against the packers with a bad no huddle decision and terrible int. he was very arrogant in his interview about it after. what about vicks stats of turnovers and success in atl?? u guys get blinded real quick. alex smith will be a terrible idea with a terrrible contract to go with it.

#20 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

and vick in 2010 only threw passes of around 5-6 yards which is why his completion percentage was up. they handled him with kit gloves as they say, he was unshackled and back to normal turnover city again and again. reids fault for thinking he could handle a big boy offense. and u guys want alex smith who was draft higher than aaron rodgers, who has proved to be a stink bomb overall

#21 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

nick foles in 7 games 161 265 1,699 60.8 6.41 46 6 5 45.3 79.1

1,699 yrds , 60% of 265 attepmts! he thew 5 ints in 7 games but went 3 games in a row without an int . dude was passing the ball heavy. ppl wanted to see what the kid had, so with hurt o line, no go to wr mostly back ups, no running game. he played very well and showed he can handle it. thats not an excuse for him. the kid can and will handle it. chip kelly will make foles decision making his biggest weapon. much like roethlisberger. who isnt fast, its his understanding of the play and decisions with the ball that kill u. chip will use that

#22 meatwad

meatwad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

meor

#23 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

So Foles is better than Smith???? Maybe. If Smith isn't the smartest pick for us in FA, then tell me what QB is even slightly better than him. And I can't see Flacco leaving Baltimore so to me he's not an option.

#24 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

EAGLESNY1.....remember Foles says he's more of a drop-back than a read-option. But who's to say he can't adapt and learn the system, he has good football IQ and throws some accuracy but lacks the strength to get the ball on time to a moving target, especially the short and immediate routes. A lot of the time his receivers has to pause in the line of throws, it's a very dangerous projection, getting receivers hurt in the process. Kelly needs to evaluate Foles mechanism and timing, to make his philosophy work. Kelly also mention that Foles is a tough athlete, his defense kept knocking him down through a less than ideal OL, he kept getting up and continue to exceptionally perform at the top of his game. Kelly has liken to his football IQ and toughness, the only question is his arm strength and timing. Marcus Mariota isn't any better with his mechanics, but his timing are pretty accurate for the short and immediate routes and is very good in the running game tricks where he leaves defensive lines lost in the shuffle. Sure, Foles can succeed in Kelly's system, but Kelly won't be able to lean on just one QB in his first year of the NFL, he'll need a 2-way system to understand how the NFL teams work and what he can get most out of either QB, to be able to name one as a full starter. Maybe not this year, by next year he'll know his starter and be able to draft another QB in 2014 and groom him into a QB duo with his starter. Kelly needs to know that he can be safe at the QB position. Who knows, he could pick up a WR who had played at the QB position, and play him in both positions. He likes players who can perform multi-roles that embraces his philosophy of the game. Marvin Mcnutt, once was a QB, before becoming a WR.

#25 MJB2013

MJB2013

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Nick foles is going to be great this season. A whole offseason in the starting line up to get used the recievers. With speedy receivers like Maclin and Jackson(maybe Robert Woods) hell be good. My off season is sign Byrd if not franchised and get Milliner in 1st and Woods in the Second. Dub Sel says Vick andWatkins for Revis if we do that we draft milliner and don't resign DRC. Also we can get a LB in FA if There is one available. Guess what Robert Woods doesn't have a lowlight tape

#26 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yeah but he was a rookie. Kelly's philosophy is speed and win now. Foles can scramble but most of all he has the toughness and poise to run the hurry up O. Better then Vick that is for sure. For a rookie behind a back up beat up line, he was pretty good. With a entire off season to improve, i think he will be our guy this year. Hopefully can at least get us in the play offs. Kelly def wants to get a read option guy. But he still wants a guy who can pass , unless Geno Smith is their, I don't see any better options for this coming year then Foles. Also as far as a 3-4 D which i bet he will at least run certain packages. We have guys like Cole, Hunt and Graham that can stand up and play linebacker. I think the reason the staff hiring is taking so long, is cause they are interested in coaches on San Fran and Baltimore. Which would leave one too believe they are heading to a 3-4.

#27 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

We have scene the 2 QB stuff here with McNabb and Vick and Sanchez and Tebow on the Jets. Might work in Collage but never seen it work in the NFL.

#28 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I can see them doing it once in a blue moon maybe with McNutt or Dixon if we get his lame @ss. I think Foles can fake a hand off. Maybe he can't run like RG3 but he can move enough. With a good running game shouldn't matter. Get McCoy the ball in the running or screen game and everything opens up. Play fakes, options etc.

#29 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

Yes, Foles can work the no-huddle formation, just fine. Kelly will get Foles to change his approach and just recognize the offensive setup, whether it's 2 backs, 3 WRs and a TE or 1 back, 4 WRs and a TE, it doesn't matter as long as each individuals have learned and practiced variations of how the back(s) is set with or without the QB shotgun. 3 to 1 WRs with a TE playing either the left or right side of the OL, the same with the 3 to 1, 2 to 2 or 1 to 3 WRs setup with no audibles, the difference is under center or shotgun and 2 receivers going underneath routes, they are the safety net if the QB's decision is to pass, otherwise he keeps it and run or hands off the ball to the runner. Kelly could use the 4 backs setting, which is designed to open a hole into the second level, using Igwegnu (sp) to follow either guard or tackle, with B.Brown and C.Polk widening the run lane for Shady to sprint through. Kelly is creative with the run game because it can be use as a passing game also.

We'll find out about who the DC will be, soon enough, as well as the rest of the staffs. Kelly is also a 3-4 coach, with 4-3 integration. He'll need the sort of personnel to play smart in the back 8, that means every receivers on the loose must be covered and the running game taken care of. Kelly needs to get his defense set to the speed of his offense, so that they'll always be ready before the ball is snapped. I'm sure HR will also explain the need to rotate the defensive line, keeping players fresh alternatively. So, shifting between the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes will be critical in learning and practicing against no-huddle formations, as well as rotation on the DL.

We also need to step up on ST, I'm sure Kelly will give a few insiders tips to the coach, which could earn the team in Turnovers, Takeaways and good field advantages, scoring as well. Bobby April was supposed to be one of the best ST coach, the personnel could not capitalize on the field. Maybe, Andy didn't give April the best choice of personnel in that dept., considering April being a highly respectable coach as a STmer. A lot of things needs to stop, a lot needs to change and the right combination needs to follow through. As much as offense and defense are important, ST plays a pivotal role between losing and winning the game. There should be a good setup plan to get this unit up and running, again. They need to find a long snapper for Dorenbo to train, so when Dorenbo can't hold the line anymore, it'll be time for him to hang up his cleats and his successor can carry on from where he left off. I don't think you can find a long snapper as accurate as Jon has been all of his time, here.