Photo
- - - - -

John Mara: Victor Cruz Asking For Too Much Money

victor cruz new york giants

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,649 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

http://profootballta...oney-right-now/

At the very least I'd expect the Giants to tender him at the highest possible level. I'm sure some team somewhere will look to sign him to an offer sheet and then that's when the situation will really pick up and get interesting. Whether the Giants will look to match it, I don't know but at this point I'm not expecting a long term deal to be worked out any time soon.

#2 blakjak

blakjak

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Day one

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Meh. Its January,

#3 EAGLESinc

EAGLESinc

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Jan 32nd??......lol.....Feb 1st

#4 blakjak

blakjak

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • Fan Since:Day one

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Jan 32nd??......lol.....Feb 1st

OMG!

W3 n3ed ti g1t ur d0neZZZzzzz th3N!!!11!!!111

#5 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,757 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

If they put the highest tender on him, won't any team that signs him be forced to give up their 1st and 3rd round picks? He's been a very productive receiver, but the Giants would probably take that deal, and I doubt teams would want to pay that price. If they can't get a long term extension worked out he'll probably play out the season on the 1 year deal and hit FA next year.

#6 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I would assume that jersey's first FA priority is resigning Beatty considering that he, Boothe and Locklear are all UFAs, Snee going under the knife and the way Diehl and Baas played last year.

Although what they do with Cruz could be very telling about what they really think concerning Nicks' long-term prognosis because how much of a raise can they give Cruz now while still expecting Nicks to play out the final year of his rookie deal for only 1.95M and it not causing problems?

Of course they have to first get under the CAP before they can do ish with any of their 19 UFAs or 3 RFAs.

#7 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,780 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

He may be asking for too much money, but that's how you negotiate. You ask for a lot more than you're willing to take, then the other sides offers a lot less than they're willing to pay. You start working down, they start working up and you meet at a point that everyone can accept.

#8 Dirty 30 Sucks

Dirty 30 Sucks

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,365 posts
  • Fan Since:egg

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

cant say a bad word about Victor Cruz except he's a giant and i hate his goddamn salsa dance. Hes the best slot WR in the game, better than Welker.

#9 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

If he's given the highest tender then I can't imagine any team giving up those draft picks and then signing him to a huge deal on top of that. It's almost the exact same situation as what the Steelers and Mike Wallace went through last offseason. Wallace wanted a huge deal, the Steelers said no and tendered him at the highest amount. Cue tons of speculation that he'd be traded/signed to an offer sheet. No team wanted to give up the pics + the contract necessary to get him. Wallace holds out but eventually signs the tender and plays. Obviously we haven't gotten quite that far yet with Cruz's situation, but I think at the very worst we could see it play out similar to the Steelers & Wallace in 2012. I doubt Giants fans have much to worry about here.

#10 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,649 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

http://profootballta...-out-a-holdout/

#11 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,160 posts
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

As soon as they start figuring out who they'll release and who will be restructured to make some cap room, they'll get this figured out with Cruz. I'm not worried

Worst case scenario would be to let him walk, but if by some crazy(unlikely) chance they get a 1st or even a 2nd for an undrafted guy, I'd feel better about him leaving. I dont anticipate this happening though.

#12 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,780 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

As soon as they start figuring out who they'll release and who will be restructured to make some cap room, they'll get this figured out with Cruz. I'm not worried

Worst case scenario would be to let him walk, but if by some crazy(unlikely) chance they get a 1st or even a 2nd for an undrafted guy, I'd feel better about him leaving. I dont anticipate this happening though.

He's not going anywhere.

#13 McNabb2Jackson7

McNabb2Jackson7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Eventually the Giants have to give in and pay some of their talent. They can't play hard ball with everyone and expect to just replace them easily.

#14 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

This. You can take it to the bank the top 3 WR's next year will be Nicks, Cruz, and Randle. Beatty will be re-upped/franchised. Maybe they draft the guard from UNC at 19. Baas, Snee, TBD at RT. I think Diehl takes major paycut (to be a reserve) OR gets released. And you'll see some combination of Wilson, Brown, (maybe a reduced salary)Bradshaw at RB. Now on the other side, Boley and Osi could be gone. Maybe the same for Webster. He's going to be tricky. Is he shot or can he bounce back like Terrence Newman did this year for the Bengals? At DE you could see a draft pick here in the mix along with (yes, a diminishing) Tuck, JPP, and Adrian Tracey. At S, I hate to say it because I've wanted him before he was drafted, but KP could be gone. Maybe at 19, they tab the S from UT Vaccarro? If not, we'll see I believe Will Hill win the spot. Remember, back in 2008, he was the #1 S prospect in the nation (http://recruiting.sc...c=1&nid=2458183) and #10 overall per rivals.com. Up in Albany last year, some of the defensive coaches said he actually was the most talented DB on the team. Yeah Reese has like 22 FA's this year, but of them, maybe 3 or 4 are "must sign" guys.

#15 Nik Sneak

Nik Sneak

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

This. You can take it to the bank the top 3 WR's next year will be Nicks, Cruz, and Randle. Beatty will be re-upped/franchised. Maybe they draft the guard from UNC at 19. Baas, Snee, TBD at RT. I think Diehl takes major paycut (to be a reserve) OR gets released. And you'll see some combination of Wilson, Brown, (maybe a reduced salary)Bradshaw at RB. Now on the other side, Boley and Osi could be gone. Maybe the same for Webster. He's going to be tricky. Is he shot or can he bounce back like Terrence Newman did this year for the Bengals? At DE you could see a draft pick here in the mix along with (yes, a diminishing) Tuck, JPP, and Adrian Tracey. At S, I hate to say it because I've wanted him before he was drafted, but KP could be gone. Maybe at 19, they tab the S from UT Vaccarro? If not, we'll see I believe Will Hill win the spot. Remember, back in 2008, he was the #1 S prospect in the nation (http://recruiting.sc...c=1&nid=2458183) and #10 overall per rivals.com. Up in Albany last year, some of the defensive coaches said he actually was the most talented DB on the team. Yeah Reese has like 22 FA's this year, but of them, maybe 3 or 4 are "must sign" guys.

I don't really have an issue with most of what you said.. but bringing up a guys HS profile to make a point about his potential is just stupid. The guy went undrafted, followed by unsigned by an NFL team for roughly a year. He is indeed talented, but if you look at his combine/workout numbers coming out of UF they weren't all that impressive. Very average actually.

#16 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I don't really have an issue with most of what you said.. but bringing up a guys HS profile to make a point about his potential is just stupid. The guy went undrafted, followed by unsigned by an NFL team for roughly a year. He is indeed talented, but if you look at his combine/workout numbers coming out of UF they weren't all that impressive. Very average actually.

Consider the source, the kid couldn't get an UDRFA deal with any of the 32 NFL teams or even in the Canadian League and ended up with the freakin Arizona Rattlers, but of course in little ricky's mind he's a can't miss based on what he did in HS. :roll:

If jersey drafted Mother Teresa's older sister to play LDE that moron would be on here claiming why that makes losing Osi, and Tuck being washed up is no big deal. :wacko:

#17 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Nicks is their #1 priority but they'll end up paying both of them big money.

#18 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Consider the source, the kid couldn't get an UDRFA deal with any of the 32 NFL teams or even in the Canadian League and ended up with the freakin Arizona Rattlers, but of course in little ricky's mind he's a can't miss based on what he did in HS. :roll:

If jersey drafted Mother Teresa's older sister to play LDE that moron would be on here claiming why that makes losing Osi, and Tuck being washed up is no big deal. :wacko:

hey..what's up? So if Chip gets the E's to 7-9 consider yourself lucky..as for my squad, they're probably going to win the East...

Anyway-back to the topic at hand..even though this is really a negotiation tactic, I like where it is headed..#1-the team, contrary to JNC's hopes, believes Nicks will be 100% come camp and want to lock him up now on the cheap and #2-they'll drive Cruz's $$ tag down to the point where he'll be re-upped at a reasonable rate and insuring Eli with 2 of the league's best WR's for the balance of the rest of his career...

#19 seengreen

seengreen

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts
  • Fan Since:77

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

http://profootballta...oney-right-now/

At the very least I'd expect the Giants to tender him at the highest possible level. I'm sure some team somewhere will look to sign him to an offer sheet and then that's when the situation will really pick up and get interesting. Whether the Giants will look to match it, I don't know but at this point I'm not expecting a long term deal to be worked out any time soon.

Um Cruz was/ is one of the most underpaid players and has been a top 10 WR for the last 2 seasons. The Giants want to take care of Nicks 1st. But, Cruz cannot be left out of the conversation.

#20 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

hey..what's up? So if Chip gets the E's to 7-9 consider yourself lucky..as for my squad, they're probably going to win the East...

Anyway-back to the topic at hand..even though this is really a negotiation tactic, I like where it is headed..#1-the team, contrary to JNC's hopes, believes Nicks will be 100% come camp and want to lock him up now on the cheap and #2-they'll drive Cruz's $$ tag down to the point where he'll be re-upped at a reasonable rate and insuring Eli with 2 of the league's best WR's for the balance of the rest of his career...

Damn little ricky, way to edit your post 4 hours after you originallty made it. Pathetic :nonono:

And would that be the same jersey medical/training staff you have repeatedly called "completely incompetent" in this very forum many times in the past?

But of course now they magically know what they're talking about. :roll:

#21 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Damn little ricky, way to edit your post 4 hours after you originallty made it. Pathetic :nonono:

And would that be the same jersey medical/training staff you have repeatedly called "completely incompetent" in this very forum many times in the past?

But of course now they magically know what they're talking about. :roll:

Never. Said. Ever. In fact I've only said that Dr. Warren and his staff at NY Presbyterian were among the best orthopedic physicians in the nation...Find one post where I questioned the medical staff of the Giants. These are the same guys who said NO to Steve Smith and Reid (and the E's medical staff) insisted on playing him in 2011...you remember that season, no? The was the DREAM TEAM season..not to confuse it with the DYNASTY season of 2011 that just ended a hair short of expectations...

:roll: 4-12

So...it looks like you were 100% DEAD wrong on Nicks having his surgery..but, predictably, you aren't man enough to admit it...but instead want to pin it on "poor" NYG medical staff..

Hilarious and pathetic at the same time

#22 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Never. Said. Ever. In fact I've only said that Dr. Warren and his staff at NY Presbyterian were among the best orthopedic physicians in the nation...Find one post where I questioned the medical staff of the Giants. These are the same guys who said NO to Steve Smith and Reid (and the E's medical staff) insisted on playing him in 2011...you remember that season, no? The was the DREAM TEAM season..not to confuse it with the DYNASTY season of 2011 that just ended a hair short of expectations...

:roll: 4-12

So...it looks like you were 100% DEAD wrong on Nicks having his surgery..but, predictably, you aren't man enough to admit it...

Oh' man, (licking my chops) after I weigh the effort vs. the reward I'll let you know if I think it's worth my time to go grab any # of the posts where you not only "questioned" jersey's medical staff but flat out said you "wished they had the Bird's staff", and since I've already done that more than once in the past to irrefutably prove how completely FOS you are, you may want to go back and start deleting asap.

Long way to go on Nicks yet skippy, that's the catch with "hoping" rest will heal the tear over opting for surgery right away, rest takes time, but if it fails to correct the problem it will only set his recovery back (even though his wheels are already irreversibly half-shot) all the longer. :nonono:

#23 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Oh' man, (licking my chops) after I weigh the effort vs. the reward I'll let you know if I think it's worth my time to go grab any # of the posts where you not only "questioned" jersey's medical staff but flat out said you "wished they had the Bird's staff", and since I've already done that more than once in the past to irrefutably prove how completely FOS you are, you may want to go back and start deleting asap.

Long way to go on Nicks yet skippy, that's the catch with "hoping" rest will heal the tear over opting for surgery right away, rest takes time, but if it fails to correct the problem it will only set his recovery back (even though his wheels are already irreversibly half-shot) all the longer. :nonono:

:roll:
There is NOTHING about the Eagles I envy...so right there I am calling major BS...your medical staff??
:roll: I can't stop laughing...the same guys who give Vick the OK to play with a concussion???

...i just cannot stop laughing..

#24 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

There is NOTHING about the Eagles I envy...so right there I am calling major BS...your medical staff??
:roll: I can't stop laughing...the same guys who give Vick the OK to play with a concussion???

...i just cannot stop laughing..

OK, so if I even bother to go bump some quotes (although after having already used that same method to expose you for exactly what everyone here already knows you are many times it does smack of redundancy), what are you going to do/say, go look for a new job? :nonono:

#25 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

OK, so if I even bother to go bump some quotes (although after having already used that same method to expose you for exactly what everyone here already knows you are many times it does smack of redundancy), what are you going to do/say, go look for a new job? :nonono:

cop out..there are no quotes..you, me, and everyone on here who knows what you're all about here on the EMB know is...I know it's hard to admit you're wrong old man, but believe me you can gain a very small modicum of respect around here if you did

#26 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

cop out..there are no quotes..you, me, and everyone on here who knows what you're all about here on the EMB know is...I know it's hard to admit you're wrong old man, but believe me you can gain a very small modicum of respect around here if you did

OK.

#27 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

OK.

The only "complaint" would be they are overly cautious..I've said that before..BUT I have never said they are incompetant...that's just you making stuff up to look good...nice try though

#28 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Here's the bottom line..Cruz will be a Giant next year and beyond...same with Nicks...Reese is going to put together a roster more than capable of competing for the SB, held next year in their building...Howie with the E's?? Not so much

#29 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

The only "complaint" would be they are overly cautious..I've said that before..BUT I have never said they are incompetant...that's just you making stuff up to look good...nice try though

And the tap dancing begins :roll: , don't worry skippy, when you don't post for the next several hours nobody will think it's because you're frantically combing the archived threads ,especially considering how many times I have used your own posts to prove waht a FOS, front-running fraud you are.

But let me think about it because if I were to do it yet again it would almost leave you with no choice but to never show your face here again and nobody really wants that, you're just too much fun to bish-slap around. :thumbsup:

#30 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

And the tap dancing begins :roll: , don't worry skippy, when you don't post for the next several hours nobody will think it's because you're frantically combing the archived threads ,especially considering how many times I have used your own posts to prove waht a FOS, front-running fraud you are.

But let me think about it because if I were to do it yet again it would almost leave you with no choice but to never show your face here again and nobody really wants that, you're just too much fun to bish-slap around. :thumbsup:

Not looking for anything...I know what I've posted before and what I haven't..there's no "tap dancing" as you like to call it..but if you find something, by all means post it..in the end I'll admit I was wrong if something is there..but it won't change the fact that the E's are gonna suck in 2013...