Photo

[News] Week Ahead Is One To Watch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
187 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,864 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Everyone is 0-0 as we look ahead, collectively, to the 2013 season. The Eagles have a very busy couple of weeks ahead of them. Let's take a look ...

View the full article

#2 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

badabing

what's this, dave disturbing us with his blurgh, when sb is still very much undecided...

dear me.

these niners. quite likeable.

#3 thesnowleopard

thesnowleopard

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Note to everyone in love with Kelly and points: Offense is fun; DEFENSE wins championships.

#4 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

And the same Ravens that I watched live on my birthday beaten by the 4-12 Eagles. Such a tough season for the birds. May 2013 be MUCH better. With Kelly, keep Vick and find some competent safeties. I still think polamalu just needs a scenery change. And go get an IMPACT, BIG WR please.

#5 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Frenchy, Dave probably had this article written 3 days ago, he could of at least waited until the clock hit 0 to say we're 0-0.

#6 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Frenchy, Dave probably had this article written 3 days ago, he could of at least waited until the clock hit 0 to say we're 0-0.

yes, he's horrible isn't he. we should petition smolenski to fire him ! who's with me !!! :devil:

#7 hedge8727

hedge8727

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Fan Since:1961

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Mike Vick is an eagles... for three more days. Who needs him when we got ourselves a Flacco clone for 16 million cheaper?

#8 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

To all the Kelly fans I guess this Super Bowl was a wake up call. Gimmick offenses do not win Super Bowls, the option won't last much longer teams are already working on removing it. Defense wins Super Bowls, thank god we hired an offensive minded HC. Guess i will end my rant.

#9 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Na Frenchy, Dave's just doing what he has to do so he doesn't loose his job It's not his fault, Do I sense some sarcasm because I was agreeing with You.

#10 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Good info tucked in at the end. That is news to me that a new coach is granted an extra minicamp. Pretty cool that we hopefully get a few highlights of a practice before the draft.

#11 ASG15

ASG15

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Don't worr about Spuds. He can always get a job as the next prez press secretary.

#12 ackid38

ackid38

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts
  • Fan Since:69

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

If they keep Vick,the whole coaching change was for nothing.If Vick is on the team come week 1.I think ill take a year off and play some golf on sundays.I cant go through another year of this guy.Whole career was nothing more than a 2 play a game highlight reel with 1.6 turnovers and 2.5 sacks every game he stared in his career.I swear to all i would rather see ryan leaf come out of what ever hole hes under and start for the birds.(sarcasm at its finest) than to see vick in eagles green ever again.

#13 C'MON MAN

C'MON MAN

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

I hate rebuilding mode because it means we will suck for another couple years. However, its always good to start fresh....it will give us a better idea where the probelm is with this team. Teams like redskins, lions, seahawks had the top draft picks for a couple of years which landed them top picks to rebuild their team. I hope we can get good draft picks as well.

#14 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

CCL I guess that proves it's all in the eye of the beholder. I didn't see defense carrying the day. I saw wasted timeouts by the niners in the second half. A 108 yard kickoff return for a td basically being the difference. A young qb(Kaepernick) showing how little time and experience he had to make the tds in the redzone. Baltimore's defense definitely made some plays to keep the niners out of the endzone but the niners were their own problem as well. All in all in a 34-31 game it's very hard for me to point out the defense as the dominating factor. Personally I think the Ravens made huge mistakes in the second half to let the niners back in it. A dominating defensive performance in the second half from the Ravens and it would have been a blowout. The Ravens had the better coaching and experience. That would be my keys to victory.

#15 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Also one of the biggest keys had to be the fact that the Niners always started out slow. I think if and probably when the Niners get their young qb rolling early they are going to be so hard to beat. They were able to overcome such slow starts the rest of the playoffs(so barely) but not against the Ravens. I think this comes down to coaching and the game plan. The Niners never seemed ready to play any of their playoff games. It is a credit to them about how well they adjust and they keep fighting.

#16 20BillBradley

20BillBradley

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Fan Since:70's

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

3 BIG Super Bowl no-calls. Crab should have gotten a defensless player hit, then he was held in the enzone and, the other was a blatant holding that I just couldn't belive wasn't called on the safety play. Watch the replay, you can clearly see a Baltimore player bear-hugging a 49er player to keep him from getting to the punter. Not a 49er fan, just making a obvious observation. These guys altered the game!!! Scary when you think about it, I know Jim is!

#17 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

So in conclusion I would say having a complete team is what won this Championship. Flacco throwing three TDs(also in his two previous playoff games) and no interceptions. I really had a feeling ST would play a big role. Everywhere on ST but in the punting(at least two punts that hit just in the endzone) category the Ravens whipped the Niners. The Ravens defense clearly played its part as well. Solid first half and some huge blitzing to hold to a field goal. Coaches making the right calls. That call to go for a 4th and 9 instead of kicking the field goal seemed incredibly dumb. Especially with the kicker sweep against the speed of the Niners LB. It turned out to be the right call though as the defense held the Niners to a three and out. Flacco instantly made them pay with that poorly underthrown ball that Jacoby fell back and caught and then got up and scrambled for the TD.

#18 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Lights out Super Bowl!

#19 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

Coaches don't win Super Bowls the talent on the field does. If it was the coaches you would see the same teams in the Super Bowl each year. The reason why I mentioned Kelly's offense is because people thought that if the 49ers won it would be proven that a college offense will work in the NFL. If the electricity didn't go out for almost 40 minutes I am willing to bet the game wouldn't of been as close as it was. 49ers were horrible, their secondary was in shambles as much as ours was, their special team looked just as worst. The bright side out of this the ravens are aging and won't probably see the Super Bowl again for awhile. The down side is I doubt we will see it in the next decade at this rate.

#20 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Vick has to be released he is not as good as Foles with no upside. He is a coach killer and needs to be released, he threw his teammates under the bus after the last game and turned the football over repeatedly in the last 2 plus years. The quicker this organization sever ties with Andy Reid's QB, the better it will be going forward.

#21 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

My mock draft for us this year
1st rd- Dee Milliner, CB Alabama
2nd rd- DJ Flucker, RT Alabama
3rd rd- DJ Swearinger, S South Carolina
4th rd- EJ Manuel, QB FSU
5th rd- Jonathan Brown, OLB, Illinois
6th rd- Da rick Rodgers, WR Tenn Tech
7th rd- Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

Big Free Agent signings WR Mike Wallace and S Dashon Goldson

#22 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Dave does that mean we release Nnamdi and Vick and possibly Jenkins? Also are you releasing Jackson? Wallace is great and all but to get him and goldson your looking at a serious cap hit. I don't think having Wallace and Jackson on the same team is a great idea, they are both speedy WR and not tall physical dominating WR like megatron or green etc.

#23 ironbear73

ironbear73

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Release- Vick Yes Nnmandi Yes Jenkins NO
@DAVE1974 Your Mock not so good. I hope we dont go in that direction at all. If the Super Bowl was any clearer. Pro Type QBs when the big game. Just enough escape capaability to buy time. We need a right tackle and move Todd back Guard where he is pro bowl caliber. Boykin did well and I think you can find a good CB in the 2-3 rnd

#24 ironbear73

ironbear73

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

oh and Mathieu?! are you kidding yeah that's what we need a guy who cant stop smoking weed in the secondary as if our problems back there weren't big enough

#25 khollen

khollen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

dave1974. I like your idea of signing Goldson, but not Wallace. The Eagles don't need another receiver. They need a healthy o-line or a better one that can keep the quarterback on his feet long enough to throw to the ones they already have. Receiver and running back are 2 positions that they can feel confident in moving forward. The places they need help are mostly on defense. Linebacker,corner, and both safety spots.

#26 kevkro64

kevkro64

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

The Eagles should part ways with Vick. All that is official for the staff is:

Duce Staley Special Teams Quality Control
Ted Williams Running Backs Coach
Keith Gray Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach

In finalizing the staff, some coaching positions I think I know:

Pat Shurmur Offensive Coordinator (Browns HC)
Bill Lazor Quarterbacks (Virginia OC/QB)
Bob Bicknell Receivers (Bills WR)
Ed Donatell Defensive Coordinator (49'ers Secondary)
Jerry Azzinaro Defensive Line (Oregaon DL)
Dave Fipp Special Teams (Dolphins Asst. S/T)

First, on the roster, unrestricted free agents (all gone except maybe DRC).

Dorenbos, Jon LS
Dunlap, King T
Jordan, Akeem OLB
Landri, Derek DT
Rodgers-Cromartie CB (he's got to take less than he may get elsewhere.)
Scott, Jake G
Tapp, Darryl DE

Second, safety Colt Anderson is a restricted free agent (make him an offer).
Third, some hard decisions but trade (for 2013/2014 picks) or cut the following:

Asomugha, NnamdiCB
Avant, Jason WR
Bell, Demetress T
Cole, Trent DE
Jenkins, Cullen DT
Johnson, RonaldWR
McBriar, Mat P
Moore, Evan TE
Patterson, Mike DT
Peters, Jason T
Vick, Michael QB

This still leaves plenty of depth on the current roster.
Really looking forward to pre draft mini camp afforded for new HC.
Finally draft BPA and only pick up free agents as a last resort.

#27 thesnowleopard

thesnowleopard

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

@CouldCareLess: Coaches don't win Superbowls? Tell that to anyone who witnessed that total OC collapse on the 49ers first and goal at the end. Sure that wasn't Marty calling those idiotic plays?

#28 thesnowleopard

thesnowleopard

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

@cunninghamtheman: You didn't see defense carry the day? Guess you missed those four plays with a first and goal from the 7 at the end? For all you point lovers: Kelly will fail. Book it. At least we'll get rid of Howie and possibly Lurie. A bad five years ahead.

#29 thesnowleopard

thesnowleopard

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

@ASG15: So much for your credibility.

#30 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

vindictive posts. i see no reason for that. we don't even know who the coaching staff will be, ffs ! give kelly some time. he's an offensive minded coach. ok. does that mean he will allow poor play-calling on defense, as some on here would have it ? i doubt that very much. he seems to me, as i've said before, quite ruthless and very ambition-driven. such a mindset can only be beneficial for this team, if it translates into simple directives on the field.

give him some time.