Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Week Ahead Is One To Watch

188 posts in this topic

Everyone is 0-0 as we look ahead, collectively, to the 2013 season. The Eagles have a very busy couple of weeks ahead of them. Let's take a look ...

View the full article

badabing

what's this, dave disturbing us with his blurgh, when sb is still very much undecided...

dear me.

these niners. quite likeable.

2 people like this

Note to everyone in love with Kelly and points: Offense is fun; DEFENSE wins championships.

2 people like this

And the same Ravens that I watched live on my birthday beaten by the 4-12 Eagles. Such a tough season for the birds. May 2013 be MUCH better. With Kelly, keep Vick and find some competent safeties. I still think polamalu just needs a scenery change. And go get an IMPACT, BIG WR please.

1 person likes this

Frenchy, Dave probably had this article written 3 days ago, he could of at least waited until the clock hit 0 to say we're 0-0.

Frenchy, Dave probably had this article written 3 days ago, he could of at least waited until the clock hit 0 to say we're 0-0.

yes, he's horrible isn't he. we should petition smolenski to fire him ! who's with me !!! :devil:

Mike Vick is an eagles... for three more days. Who needs him when we got ourselves a Flacco clone for 16 million cheaper?

To all the Kelly fans I guess this Super Bowl was a wake up call. Gimmick offenses do not win Super Bowls, the option won't last much longer teams are already working on removing it. Defense wins Super Bowls, thank god we hired an offensive minded HC. Guess i will end my rant.

Na Frenchy, Dave's just doing what he has to do so he doesn't loose his job It's not his fault, Do I sense some sarcasm because I was agreeing with You.

Good info tucked in at the end. That is news to me that a new coach is granted an extra minicamp. Pretty cool that we hopefully get a few highlights of a practice before the draft.

Don't worr about Spuds. He can always get a job as the next prez press secretary.

If they keep Vick,the whole coaching change was for nothing.If Vick is on the team come week 1.I think ill take a year off and play some golf on sundays.I cant go through another year of this guy.Whole career was nothing more than a 2 play a game highlight reel with 1.6 turnovers and 2.5 sacks every game he stared in his career.I swear to all i would rather see ryan leaf come out of what ever hole hes under and start for the birds.(sarcasm at its finest) than to see vick in eagles green ever again.

I hate rebuilding mode because it means we will suck for another couple years. However, its always good to start fresh....it will give us a better idea where the probelm is with this team. Teams like redskins, lions, seahawks had the top draft picks for a couple of years which landed them top picks to rebuild their team. I hope we can get good draft picks as well.

CCL I guess that proves it's all in the eye of the beholder. I didn't see defense carrying the day. I saw wasted timeouts by the niners in the second half. A 108 yard kickoff return for a td basically being the difference. A young qb(Kaepernick) showing how little time and experience he had to make the tds in the redzone. Baltimore's defense definitely made some plays to keep the niners out of the endzone but the niners were their own problem as well. All in all in a 34-31 game it's very hard for me to point out the defense as the dominating factor. Personally I think the Ravens made huge mistakes in the second half to let the niners back in it. A dominating defensive performance in the second half from the Ravens and it would have been a blowout. The Ravens had the better coaching and experience. That would be my keys to victory.

Also one of the biggest keys had to be the fact that the Niners always started out slow. I think if and probably when the Niners get their young qb rolling early they are going to be so hard to beat. They were able to overcome such slow starts the rest of the playoffs(so barely) but not against the Ravens. I think this comes down to coaching and the game plan. The Niners never seemed ready to play any of their playoff games. It is a credit to them about how well they adjust and they keep fighting.

3 BIG Super Bowl no-calls. Crab should have gotten a defensless player hit, then he was held in the enzone and, the other was a blatant holding that I just couldn't belive wasn't called on the safety play. Watch the replay, you can clearly see a Baltimore player bear-hugging a 49er player to keep him from getting to the punter. Not a 49er fan, just making a obvious observation. These guys altered the game!!! Scary when you think about it, I know Jim is!

So in conclusion I would say having a complete team is what won this Championship. Flacco throwing three TDs(also in his two previous playoff games) and no interceptions. I really had a feeling ST would play a big role. Everywhere on ST but in the punting(at least two punts that hit just in the endzone) category the Ravens whipped the Niners. The Ravens defense clearly played its part as well. Solid first half and some huge blitzing to hold to a field goal. Coaches making the right calls. That call to go for a 4th and 9 instead of kicking the field goal seemed incredibly dumb. Especially with the kicker sweep against the speed of the Niners LB. It turned out to be the right call though as the defense held the Niners to a three and out. Flacco instantly made them pay with that poorly underthrown ball that Jacoby fell back and caught and then got up and scrambled for the TD.

Coaches don't win Super Bowls the talent on the field does. If it was the coaches you would see the same teams in the Super Bowl each year. The reason why I mentioned Kelly's offense is because people thought that if the 49ers won it would be proven that a college offense will work in the NFL. If the electricity didn't go out for almost 40 minutes I am willing to bet the game wouldn't of been as close as it was. 49ers were horrible, their secondary was in shambles as much as ours was, their special team looked just as worst. The bright side out of this the ravens are aging and won't probably see the Super Bowl again for awhile. The down side is I doubt we will see it in the next decade at this rate.

Vick has to be released he is not as good as Foles with no upside. He is a coach killer and needs to be released, he threw his teammates under the bus after the last game and turned the football over repeatedly in the last 2 plus years. The quicker this organization sever ties with Andy Reid's QB, the better it will be going forward.

My mock draft for us this year

1st rd- Dee Milliner, CB Alabama

2nd rd- DJ Flucker, RT Alabama

3rd rd- DJ Swearinger, S South Carolina

4th rd- EJ Manuel, QB FSU

5th rd- Jonathan Brown, OLB, Illinois

6th rd- Da rick Rodgers, WR Tenn Tech

7th rd- Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

Big Free Agent signings WR Mike Wallace and S Dashon Goldson

Dave does that mean we release Nnamdi and Vick and possibly Jenkins? Also are you releasing Jackson? Wallace is great and all but to get him and goldson your looking at a serious cap hit. I don't think having Wallace and Jackson on the same team is a great idea, they are both speedy WR and not tall physical dominating WR like megatron or green etc.

Release- Vick Yes Nnmandi Yes Jenkins NO

@DAVE1974 Your Mock not so good. I hope we dont go in that direction at all. If the Super Bowl was any clearer. Pro Type QBs when the big game. Just enough escape capaability to buy time. We need a right tackle and move Todd back Guard where he is pro bowl caliber. Boykin did well and I think you can find a good CB in the 2-3 rnd

oh and Mathieu?! are you kidding yeah that's what we need a guy who cant stop smoking weed in the secondary as if our problems back there weren't big enough

dave1974. I like your idea of signing Goldson, but not Wallace. The Eagles don't need another receiver. They need a healthy o-line or a better one that can keep the quarterback on his feet long enough to throw to the ones they already have. Receiver and running back are 2 positions that they can feel confident in moving forward. The places they need help are mostly on defense. Linebacker,corner, and both safety spots.