Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

So glad the refs didn't call holding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

On the 4th down play. Seriously, all analysts just whine about the rule changes and how nobody can play defense. Then after the game all the analysts are like its a holding call and just start complaining. Do they want to see defense or not?!

Crabtree was all over Smith as well! Is he meant to just let him run by him? It was a poor play call, the blitz destroyed the O-Lline and it was a rushed throw.

Let the guys play the ball, they both battled for the ball in the air and the receiver couldn't get to the ball.

Congrats Ravens.

#2 zegah

zegah

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

It is an iffy call, say it was against an eagle in the final play to win the game, of the super bowl, your opinion would be different, i imagine..

However there should have been a penalty on Jimmy Smith on the play before where he hit Crabtree helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver.. But I like the fact that Crabtree aint being a baby about it like Maclin..

#3 nottsfootballfan

nottsfootballfan

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,586 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

it was holding and DPI.

#4 CountBlah

CountBlah

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 35,369 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

When the niners beat the falcons on a non-call, all the niner fans were saying "just let them play football", now all the Niner fans are saying "whaaaa, boo Hoo"

#5 lb7

lb7

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

When the niners beat the falcons on a non-call, all the niner fans were saying "just let them play football", now all the Niner fans are saying "whaaaa, boo Hoo"

This X 1,000

#6 lb7

lb7

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Personally, I thought it could have went either way. Both players had their hands on each other and I wondered if the throw would have been caught at all?

#7 Eaglesdude55

Eaglesdude55

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

It is an iffy call, say it was against an eagle in the final play to win the game, of the super bowl, your opinion would be different, i imagine..

However there should have been a penalty on Jimmy Smith on the play before where he hit Crabtree helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver.. But I like the fact that Crabtree aint being a baby about it like Maclin..

Maclins whining has gotten us a a fair share of extra penalty yardage. Sometimes I think he does it just to see what the refs will give him.

#8 ggs5008

ggs5008

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

On the 4th down play. Seriously, all analysts just whine about the rule changes and how nobody can play defense. Then after the game all the analysts are like its a holding call and just start complaining. Do they want to see defense or not?!

Crabtree was all over Smith as well! Is he meant to just let him run by him? It was a poor play call, the blitz destroyed the O-Lline and it was a rushed throw.

Let the guys play the ball, they both battled for the ball in the air and the receiver couldn't get to the ball.

Congrats Ravens.

Yes because Smith had both his hands on him grabbing him...

#9 Agent23

Agent23

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

crabtree proved to be a class act.

That being said, there is no "flop" rule in the NFL. This is the Super Bowl and you're in a TD or bust situation. You act a fool and do whatever animated sheet you need to do to get a flag and keep the drive alive for your team.

#10 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,162 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

Please, if that were Vick tossing the fade to one of your WR's, you'd probably have cast on your hand this morning from punching it through your TV or wall..

#11 SBorBust

SBorBust

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

All of this 49er whining about one play is ridiculous.

They were outcoached, outplayed and Flacco was better than Kaepernick. That is why they won. Baltimore deserved to win the game.

#12 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,162 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

All of this 49er whining about one play is ridiculous.

They were outcoached, outplayed and Flacco was better than Kaepernick. That is why they won. Baltimore deserved to win the game.

Apparently under Jim Harbaugh, this is the new Niner way...they did the same last year after the Conference Championship Game and all offseason...

#13 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yes because Smith had both his hands on him grabbing him...

Crabtree was all over Smiths face mask too. They both went at each other, why give offense priority?

#14 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,644 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

As Count already said, it's the same situation as the NFCCG. A play that easily gets flagged in the regular season that didn't in the playoffs, except this time the 9'ers ended up on the other end of it. Nobody heard any of them complaining about a bad call two weeks ago in Atlanta.

#15 DeathByEagle

DeathByEagle

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

There was plays in the first half that the 49ers were all over the ravens recs and they didnt get called. The refs let them play all game long which is good, esp with two physical teams. Nothing worse then letting some plays slide but calling others that are the same later in a game. The Refs did a great job being consistant.

#16 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

I like the idea of letting them play and I hate how ticky-tack defensive pass interference has become in the regular season, but that was a mugging. It was just a blatant hold with no attempt to play the ball or break up the pass. I can only imagine how irate I'd be if that happened to the Eagles.

#17 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

They can't make a call in that situation unless he had flat out tackled Crabtree, although I think if the 9er's had been down a TD (instead of 5) they might have.

To me I put the blame on the play calling in that sequence once they had 2nd & goal at the 5, why call 3 straight throws to Crabtree to the short side of the field, with one of them short of the end zone? :nonono:

#18 nottsfootballfan

nottsfootballfan

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,586 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Ravens were also offside on the play.

#19 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

They can't make a call in that situation unless he had flat out tackled Crabtree, although I think if the 9er's had been down a TD (instead of 5) they might have.

To me I put the blame on the play calling in that sequence once they had 2nd & goal at the 5, why call 3 straight throws to Crabtree to the short side of the field, with one of them short of the end zone? :nonono:

Yeah, I thought the play calling was pretty atrocious when they got inside the 10, too. They didn't roll Kaepernick outside of the pocket which would've made him a threat running or passing. Really thought they made it easy on the Ravens with those calls.

#20 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, I thought the play calling was pretty atrocious when they got inside the 10, too. They didn't roll Kaepernick outside of the pocket which would've made him a threat running or passing. Really thought they made it easy on the Ravens with those calls.

They did roll him out once, but to the short side of the field :nonono:, and then he threw to Crabtree well short of the end zone.

I would have spread the Ravens completely out and put him in the shot gun with a whole field run/pass option at least once there.

#21 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,193 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Both players were grabbing ajd pushing.
The ball might not have been catchable anyway.
The roughingnthe kicier penalty earlier was iffy as well as the no called late hit on Flacco that should have extended the drive.
Lots of calls and no alls in the game that effected it.

#22 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Team:Vikings
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Had they called it, I'd have been fine with it. I'm also fine with the fact that they didn't.

#23 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Team:Vikings
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

The Ravens scouted Kaepernick's red zone issues, and took advantage. That said, I'd didn't like the rollout call to the short side of the field either. In fact, I don't understand why teams will run plays that way in critical situations - they're cutting themselves off from 60% of the field.

#24 eagles234

eagles234

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'm all for playing defense and corners being physical, but he had a fistfull of jersey

#25 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm all for playing defense and corners being physical, but he had a fistfull of jersey

Did Crabtree not have hands all over him and his facemask though?

#26 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Posted ImageI'm fine with it as well lol

#27 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

There was a penalty that wasn't called and you're fine with it? Change the situation slightly. Ravens vs. Eagles in the Super Bowl, Eagles are losing and that play happens with that holding. Still fine with it? Still glad the obvious penalty wasn't called?

Maybe that penalty matters to the final score, maybe it doesn't. If there's an obvious penalty though, it should be flagged. That holding on the punt/safety was obvious and blatant.

I didn't think it was obvious. I do not understand why Crabtree is allowed to have his hands all over Smith but Smith is just meant to take it?

#28 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,159 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I didn't think it was obvious. I do not understand why Crabtree is allowed to have his hands all over Smith but Smith is just meant to take it?

I deleted my post, I was talking about a different play. I was talking about the Ravens punt not the 49ers 4th down play.

#29 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Congrats Ravens.

I still think a better throw making the ball look catchable draws a flag

#30 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,660 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

The funny part is how people are saying there should've been a flag on it for defensive holding but almost nobody is talking about how Crabtree ran into Jimmy Smith in an effort to draw a flag and that's might've been what the ref saw and chose not to throw the flag after the holding call. Plus Smith fell down after Crabtree initiated the contact and the hold. As a receiver you can't cry foul when you're the one that first made contact.