Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

So glad the refs didn't call holding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#61 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,817 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

When the niners beat the falcons on a non-call, all the niner fans were saying "just let them play football", now all the Niner fans are saying "whaaaa, boo Hoo"

This X 1,000

Personally, I thought it could have went either way. Both players had their hands on each other and I wondered if the throw would have been caught at all?

Bingo to the first 2 qoutes......

For the last one--- Crabtree ran into smith and started the tussiling, looking like he was trying to get a flag thrown instead of trying to make a catch IMO. There was missed calls all over that game. What about when Flacco was hit out of bounds on the 3rd and 10 play with a few mins left on the drive before the 49ers last drive? If that flag is thrown which everybody knows it should have been, even Sanders said tounge in cheek that if that was Brady or manning hit like that the player would have been thrown out of the game..

The Refs let the players play this game the whole game. I dont thtink a flag should have came out there only b/c that wasnt being called all game long. No chance they were going to decide a superbowl on a flag. The Refs and NFL didnt want that.

#62 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

The ball being uncatchable negates the holding which would have been pass interference.

This.

I guarantee the ref throws the flag if the ball looks catchable.

#63 Mustlovephilly

Mustlovephilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I seen that play and MY view It WAS A PASS INTERFEREANCE Niners would have gotten he TD and Won they were hot in the end and had the momentum if anything they could have gone into OT and won it

#64 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm glad they didn't throw the flag either. The precedent, whether you liked it or not, was set earlier in the game. Stuff like that was -not- getting called, so don't call it now on that play. You have to give credit for them being consistent.

Ontop of that, Crabtree needs to do a better job of locating/getting to the ball. He initiated the contact (I have no idea why you would want to do this on a fade route...) as much as Smith held. He knew where he needed to be to make a play on the ball, and he didn't get there.

I've always been the belief that in any sport you can't point at any one specific play, call foul, and then justify to yourself that you should have won. There was a lot more that the 49ers could of done to help themselves win. Like maybe if their defense showed up in the first half. Or offense for that matter. How about the playcalling in general when they were goal to go. How about something as simple as them having to waste a timeout due to the clock running too low, which in turn cost them 40 seconds of time for some what of a legit attempt at some last second plays.

I agree, as upset as I was over what I perceived a non-call on a PI against the Niners on 4th down, Atlanta should have never let them back in that game and should have steamrolled them. It was their own fault they were in that position.

#65 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,244 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I seen that play and MY view It WAS A PASS INTERFEREANCE Niners would have gotten he TD and Won they were hot in the end and had the momentum if anything they could have gone into OT and won it

Ravens were ahead by 5 at the time. OT was not possible.

#66 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ravens were ahead by 5 at the time. OT was not possible.

9ers get 2 point conversion, ravens march down and get a FG to tie

#67 McNabb2Jackson7

McNabb2Jackson7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

This.

A ball being catchable has nothing to do with a holding call. By the way that ball definitely was catchable.

#68 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

This.

This was the most important thing thats overlooked IMO. The ball landed a few yds out of bounds. If the ball would have landed in-bounds I think it would have been thrown IMO. The holding wasnt going to be called that close within the 5yd rule, and no-way a PI flag was coming out b/c of how bad the throw was.

A ball being catchable has nothing to do with a holding call. By the way that ball definitely was catchable.

No chance in hell was that ball catchable. Jerry rice himself couldnt have caiught that ball with how far it landed outta bounds

#69 McNabb2Jackson7

McNabb2Jackson7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

This was the most important thing thats overlooked IMO. The ball landed a few yds out of bounds. If the ball would have landed in-bounds I think it would have been thrown IMO. The holding wasnt going to be called that close within the 5yd rule, and no-way a PI flag was coming out b/c of how bad the throw was.

No chance in hell was that ball catchable. Jerry rice himself couldnt have caiught that ball with how far it landed outta bounds

The ball landed in the middle of the white line that surrounds the endzone which is not even 1 yard out of bounds. Very catchable ball, in fact without the holding Crabtree catches it.

#70 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

The ball landed in the middle of the white line that surrounds the endzone which is not even 1 yard out of bounds.Very catchable ball, in fact without the holding Crabtree catches it.

You can't say that. You can say has a chance to catch it, you don't know what happens otherwise. Call should have been made, but if you aren't calling it in the NFC Championship, you can't call it there. While I hated it wasn't called in the Atlanta game, I applaud their consistency.

#71 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

The ball landed in the middle of the white line that surrounds the endzone which is not even 1 yard out of bounds. Very catchable ball, in fact without the holding Crabtree catches it.

Bull, it landed almost completley past the white. It hit inside the white by maybe 10 inches or so