[News] Draft Movers And Shakers: Defense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,526 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

Tony Pauline from TFYDraftPreview and a draft contributor for PhiladelphiaEagles.com has updated his position-by-position rankings prior to the NFL Scouting Combine which will take place later this...

View the full article

#2 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

if we are going to draft a DT it should be.star so thar we can be set for years at the position for years! At OT I like eric fisher(havent watched jockel yet) I would love to.see us trade next year's 1 and 3 for a top 15er this year so that we could have jockel/fisher and star.

#3 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Couldn't disagree more...in this pass happy league, we need a good secondary.  Ours is atrocious with mediocre to bad play at safety and only one viable option at CB (DRC),  and people still want DL and early OL picks?  Crazy.  

OL talent can be found in later rounds (Dennis Kelly is better than Danny Watkins), and we need a strong secondary.   It is time to get Elam and Milliner.  It's time to turn the secondary around.

#4 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

And if we can.get johnathan cyprien in the 4th I would be very happy n alec ogletree would be a good fit to solidify our LB core

#5 jmac1302

jmac1302

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

We don't need to address the DL, as long as we stay a 4-3 team. However, if we change to a 3-4, we are going to need a stud NT. The best in the draft is Star and he should get a lot of consideration. That's why Kelly's choice of D-coordinator will be an important one and the waiting sucks. If we stay a 4-3 though, DL won't be that pressing and our OL will be solid if people can just get healthy. So, then I would completely agree that we should try to get Milliner at 4 if he's there. Not sure that there's a safety that I'd pick that high. If Milliner's not there I'd settle for the best player available, no matter position, or trading down a few spots to get more picks then picking up a safety such as Vaccaro.

#6 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Let me break it down for you. We have pass rushers but star would give us a space eater which would make it easier for our Lbs to make tackles and stop the run with our front 7 stopping the run our safties could focus on the pass game instead of looking in the back field at the run. N by stopping the run we would make offenses 1dimentional. I agree our safety play is horrible and thst makes our corners look worse like they are being burnt when they were really trailing expecting someone over the top

#7 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

My first 4 rounds would be 1jockel/fisher 2alec oglerree 3eric reid 4johnathan cyphien

#8 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

I think we will run a hybrid scheme like the seahawks so I was thinking star would be a great fit abd he is,simething we dont have in a power DT

#9 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

next years super bowl will be eagles patriots . 10 year anniversary right?

#10 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Im sorry but Brodie is the only one here with sense. N i mean that in the nicest way. This is a passing league and our secondary is Horrible( in my best Charles Barkley voice). 3-4 or 4-3 our biggest need and top pick should be Milliner. No questions, no second thought. How many times can you watch ur corners or safeties get beat and th9ink you need a NT or Oline man with ur first pick.

#11 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

defense are going to get  beat no matter how good they are i.e ravens and 49ers u need a o lineman to score points @danga

#12 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yes but our biggest need on the oline is to get healthy. We need depth not a #4 pick. Plus theres like 10  Olineman with a 1st round grade. Tons of oline talent.

Defenses are going to get beat...... yes or there going make a goaline stand on the final drive and secure the SB. Comparing the Ravens and 49ers defense with ours is a complete joke. Its one thing to get beat and its another to not compete at all. To get steam rolled and be down 21 points on three drives. Milliner is the only pick....... plain and simple.

#13 will_esco

will_esco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

honestly I think the O-Line will be solid next year (with everyone coming back healthy) and getting Joeckel (which i dont believe will be available for us) would be a mistake anyway. We would have to move Joeckel to RT, and everyone agrees he's a natural LT (switching over to the other side doesnt always work out)  and would be a waste.

I think we go after Dee Milliner to help the secondary out. Last time we picked a CB first round was 2002, Lito Sheppard ended up being a good pick.

#14 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

there are some interesting picks and options.  the eagles may actually move back in this draft. but i honestly think they are going to try to get 3 picks in the second round. i kno sounds crazy, but i feel that for sum reason.  the 3 picks being the safety mcdonald, the corner rhodes, and possibly a wr.  i just feel this draft is good for defense and there are alot of second round guys who can start. i want the mcdonald kid at safety.  6'3. and has talent.  i know the eagles got their eye on him, rhodes, & milliner.

#15 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Kiko Aloso  would be a good pick up, if we can get him in the 3rd round. Eric Reid in the 2nd. If we can sign a good DT in free agency like a Henry  Melton who is a beast and can handle the NT position in a 3-4.  Anyone who says move Nnamdi to safety is out of touch. He is not physical enough to play safety. After round 2 or 3 their is a big drop off in talent for safety. We can get good DT's in later rounds. But the first few rounds we need to address    the D line and secondary. As far as not having the linebackers to play a 3-4. That is not true, in a 3-4 Cole, Graham and Hunt could play linebacker for sure. Which means we have to get bigger up front. First round if they took Joeckel, how could you say it would be a waste? We thought we had an all pro O line last yr. Once Peters, Kelce and Herremans went down, our back ups just were not good enough. If Milliner can get his grade up to a top five pick, then I would be cool with that or trade back for extra pick. If we can get Trufant or Banks in round 2 then I would not waste our 1st round on  Milliner. We haven't had a top 4 pick in 13 years, why would we not want that. They have too many needs to pass on a top 4 pick. Move up if anything. Looks like we can get a top 2 or 3 safety in round 2, Reid or Elam. That Cyprien kid looked real good at the senior bowl and can be a 4th or 5th rounder. Whether it is Star, Geno, Joeckel or even Jarvis Jones. Anyone of them could help this team. They are in NO position to trade out of the 4th overall pick.

#16 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Gotta remember we have guys to trade to get more picks. Nnamdi, Maybe Vick and Djax depending if they will restructure their contracts. Cause no team will pay Vick 16 mil, i can promise that.

#17 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,051 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I hope Xavier Rhodes does nothing to raise his draft stock, getting him in the second would be perfect.

#18 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

We don't know who's available in the FA market to warrant such high draft picks. One thing is for sure, is getting 1st and 2nd round grade in OLB, CB and FS/SS, the rest can be projects and depth materials, along with FA and the remaining EAGLES locker room. The options is to find depth that can and will complement one another with the starters.

In the last 2 seasons, a lesson is learned when you can never be too careful, with how things will turn out. Although the players loves AR for being the players' coach, they failed him after having a couple of fine preseasons. He had coordinators that players could not relate on one level or another. Maybe, one of the reason is the schemes must play out accordingly, which starts down in the trenches. When you are taught the same things, instead of changing with the trends and teaching new ways to attack the LOS, it gives the opponents the upper-hand in winning the majority of the contest. Especially when they are scheme-driven and be expected to continue in that fashion, there's so much you can do at a given time. A good coach communicates and finds new ways to build them up and help them beat the power struggle, in the upper body fluid motions and legs strength controls. Besides weight-lifting and stretching exercises, get the whole shebang to do 20 around the field before and after practices, cardio exercise keeps every part of the body fluidly conditioned and ready for the grueling gauntlet.

After Reid, Kelly will expect everyone of them to show up and put up a 110%. How in the hell did the defense put up 50 sacks one year, and then barely any the following year? Questions like these, Kelly is going to have to answer and make sure there aren't going to be any mismanagements from his staffs to the personnel. It is after all, the coaches responsibilities to maintain personnel activities, that keeps them constantly conditioned and create the ability to endure more than they ever could. I'm not saying, turn them into a monster of a machine, but build them up mentally and physically, game-ready units both side of the line. Mistakes will be had, but each individuals needs to be smart to play in every facets of the game. And that's what builds the most winniest team of the game in the NFL. Keep the prominent old-timers, who can still take the heat and apply them to the youngsters in gaining the experience, by continuously inventing and re-invent each position.

We're at a crossroad of having a rookie NFL HC, looking at the personnel from the top to the bottom. Who will remain, who leaves, who will be brought in and the outcome of the draft, that makes up to 90 players competing for a spot, before breaking it down to the allotted 61 of the best players, at the start of the NFL season. I'm sure, Kelly is aware of the discrepancy of the OL and the defense, has a pretty good idea where to start with the help of those remaining assistants and the FO, to fill-in what is and what isn't, to determined his decisions. After all, the EAGLES is "HIS" team now and it's time to move forward to "Where the Eagles have not landed before". Welcome to the NFL and may "The Force" be with you, HC Kelly!

#19 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

About the draft, to those who don't know, according to Tommy Lawlor of igglesblitz.com he mentioned that one of the scout at the Senior Bowl, told him that the Eagles will have the benefits of the early picks throughout the draft, that means in each and every rounds. There, you have it! And that has got to be the coolest things about this year's draft. You can think of all the players we can draft at the early picks of each rounds, enjoy.

#20 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Guys, we should have early picks in each rounds across the draft board. Picked it up at iggleblitz, one of the scout told Tommy at the Senior Bowl, that's one of the benefits. Definitely the coolest thing for the Eagles on draft day. Go ahead and chalk 'em, who you might think would be BPA, in those early picks of each rounds.

#21 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

why have a solid o line when of you  u can have a great one. and how many of you heard of dee milliner before this year?? not many. and i hear that he has speed issues and not many rookies come into the league n dominate especially at corner. u guys just go off of mocks. top 5 o lines patriots,49ers,texans, broncos and falcons. have something in common? yes all good teams.

#22 BirdGang45

BirdGang45

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,992 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Kiko was at the senior bowl?

#23 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

You don't need to take OL picks high in the draft this year to have a good OL...how many times must we waste a pick on a Watkins, only to find a Dennis Kelly late in the draft who is likely to be a fine RT for us.  I don't have my heart set on milliner, I have my heart set on getting help for our struggling defense.  I also have my heart set on Matt Elam, the guy is a beast and boy, can he tackle!  

We can get quality OL later in the draft and we should.  We need immediate starters, however, on the defense.

Oh, and the best OL (ever since they swapped Oher and McKinney) in the NFL could very well be the ravens.

#24 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

mckinney went number 7 in the FIRST round and Oher went number 23 in the FIRST round so you are making my point. and the 49ers had  3 first rounders on their line. i havent watched too much of Elam yet  but i think we can get him in the 2nd. I agree that the secondary need major help but i have saw the defense dominate b4 jaun was fired(giving up 9 points,23,20,17,16 and 26 in OT) , but i never saw the line DOMINATE even last year when they were healthy!! dennis kelly is good but why have good when u can have great.

#25 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

name the best OT and most of them are first round picks (staley,long,clady,williams,thomas etc.) with the exception of jason peters. I'm tired of these good enough roster moves i want greatness. not to mention peters is coming off a major injury and he is in his 30's. and with a great o line when we have a lead we can dominate the line of scrimmage and run the clock out instead of having the defense HAVE to make a stop. Maybe we can get jockel/fisher in the first get elam in the 2nd maybe authur brown(bryce's brother) in the 3rd and cyprien in the 4th. that would be the best scenario

#26 MarcoIslander

MarcoIslander

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Draft Milliner and Rhodes 1st and 2nd round and then sign FA S Darius Byrd from Buffalo or Goldson from SF. Then you have fixed 3/4's of your secondary. In the 3rd round, if he is still there, get Warford G from Kentucky. In the 4th round get Da'Rick Rogers WR 6'3" 205 out of Tenn. Tech or `Marquees Wilson 6'3" 188 from Wash. St. 5th round go Alex Hurst OT 6'6" 335 LSU to play RT and move Herrmanns back to RG. 6th round go Anthony White DT 6'2" 330 from Mich. St. and finally in the 7th round take SS Drew Frey 6'3" 212 from Cinn.

#27 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,051 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I really do not care how the rest shakes out, just get Xavier Rhodes.

#28 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

@thatboy

I see what your saying but what you leave out is how many first round Oline picks have not made any impact. Of course you can say about every position but i'd rather take the chance on a need and not a want. Instead of thinking about a OLine going from good to great. I want a secondary that goes from absolutely horrible to at least competitive. To say that they were dominant b4 Juan left is sorta a joke regardless of what the score was. They blew 3 straight 4th qtr leads. One corner gets burnt, the other cant play the ball and the safeties are completely lost. IMO this is all about what can make this a better all around team.

#29 thatboyCA_GM

thatboyCA_GM

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

i like elam i just watched film on him n he is what we need a physical tackler with ball skills and instincts i hope he isnt slow though

#30 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

The Eagles DEFENSE was pretty much healthy all season and played like crap. The Eagles OFFENSE also played like crap,but has the excuse of missing players due to injury.

The D is pretty putrid at safety (both) and at least 1 DB. The DL had many rotation players but few players that dominated at their position. A big man playing next to Fletcher Cox would alter the entire D. I'd go for a DT at #4 if Star was available. Maybe even trade back if not.

Linebacker had two solid players and the remainder were fill ins. Ryans and Kendricks are the keepers, the third or 3rd & 4th LB spots must be upgraded. ( Akeem Jordan, Casey Mathews, Jamar Chaney, Ryan Rau, etc)

The DL has depth,but no "punch" to it. Hunt, Tapp, Landri, Patterson, Dixon and Jenkins are on a bubble. The only guys I see as keepers are Trent Cole, Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox...the rest could be upgraded with draft or FA. Hence the need for STAR. Nothing makes an impact on defenses like a great big man in the middle of the DL.