Photo
- - - - -

Black Out doesn't Hurt NOLA Chances for Future Super Bowls

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 20Safety_Hazards

20Safety_Hazards

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,581 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:The War

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

However, the Super Dome might.... :P

NEW ORLEANS -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Sunday's 34-minute blackout won't impact the city of New Orleans' chances of hosting another Super Bowl.

"I fully expect that we will be back here for Super Bowls," he said Monday morning. "And I hope we will be back. We want to be back."

The outage was blamed on an unspecified "abnormality" in the Superdome's power system.

Goodell said there was another alternative if the blackout had continued. According to Goodell, there was a backup system that was ready to get rebooted when the lights were restored.

"This is clearly something that can be fixed, and it's clearly something that we can prepare for," he said. "And we will."

Larry Roedel, a lawyer for the state board that oversees the Superdome, said Monday that the outage did not appear to be related to work done on the stadium's electrical system in December. The work, approved by the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District last fall, replaced feeder equipment connecting the stadium to power provider Entergy New Orleans.

Doug Thornton, manager of the Superdome, said that when the power outage hit, meters indicated the stadium was drawing less power than it does during a typical New Orleans Saints game.

Thornton said millions of dollars have been spent upgrading electrical equipment in the building since Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, and none of it failed. He said it was working properly when power was restored.

He also said there is no evidence that the halftime show had anything to do with the outage, which struck early in the third quarter. He said the show used its own dedicated generator and wasn't using the Superdome's power supply.

This was New Orleans' first Super Bowl since 2002, and the city was eager to show off how it has been rebuilt since Hurricane Katrina.

"We knew they have an interest in future Super Bowls, and we look forward to evaluating that," Goodell said. "Going forward, I don't think this will have any impact at all on what I think will be remembered for one of the greatest Super Bowl weeks."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

#2 jsp4`8

jsp4`8

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

The city of New Orleans already hates Mr. Goodell. I don't think he would want to piss them off even more

#3 IHateDemCowboys

IHateDemCowboys

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Let`s just hope New Jersey never hosts a Super Bowl again

#4 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,645 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I said this on facebook last night, if the NFL can make the Eagles play in the fog, the Super Bowl could've continued with some lights out. Take that DAMN IT!!!!

Seriously though, what bothers me is how the Super Bowl is always the 1 game that caters to the empty suits who know very little about football that go and sit in the sky boxes.

#5 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,951 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I said this on facebook last night, if the NFL can make the Eagles play in the fog, the Super Bowl could've continued with some lights out. Take that DAMN IT!!!!

Seriously though, what bothers me is how the Super Bowl is always the 1 game that caters to the empty suits who know very little about football that go and sit in the sky boxes.

Nah man they also stop regular season games when the lights go out. Also, the lights weren't the only thing that malfunctioned yesterday, headsets and such were also affected apparently.

#6 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,645 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nah man they also stop regular season games when the lights go out. Also, the lights weren't the only thing that malfunctioned yesterday, headsets and such were also affected apparently.

Draw up plays in the dirt. We don't need no stinkin headsets, lol.

Gotta admit it would've been interesting to see them try to play the game though. I knew something went wrong because Phil Simms was talking then all of a sudden he just goes quiet then you heard nothing from Jim Nantz so something had to be wrong.

#7 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Yeah right

#8 PHeagles36

PHeagles36

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

theres really only so many places you can host it.

#9 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

theres really only so many places you can host it.

They have more than enough choices. Jacksonville, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Arizona, LA (when the stadium is renovated)

Having the power go out will hurt them a lot.

#10 PHeagles36

PHeagles36

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

They have more than enough choices. Jacksonville, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Arizona, LA (when the stadium is renovated)

thats only 6 places and one doesnt exist yet.

so again, theres really only so many places you can host it.

#11 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,740 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Take Jacksonville off that list..the NFL's never going back there..I'd like to see them return to San Diego though..rotate among SD, New Orleans, Miami, and Arizona..If you want to mix it up, add Dallas and Indianapolis every once in a while...

#12 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...remains-unclear