Photo

[News] A List Of Must-Haves For QB Here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,868 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm not going to posture and tell you I know who Chip Kelly wants as his quarterback in 2013. I do not know. But as we put together some of the thoughts about the kind of offense Kelly wants, we can discuss the QB's must-have attributes ...

View the full article

#2 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

#3 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

John Clayton says MV will be released on Friday.

#4 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

tim mc manus says he won't. :p

i agree with the 'and then some' part, dave !! ;)

#5 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Releasing MV and resigning with us could be an option...too.

#6 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Question- Is there a quarterback in the draft that we KNOW,not think, KNOW that would be better than MV. Yes I know he is often injured and this past season he was turnover central, but a fair amount had to do with him getting absolutely pummeled right after the snap on waaay to many occassions. Say he gets released and resigned at a fair number or we pay the 3mil and restructure, to me the MV story is not all doom and gloom. Be careful what you wish for Ya'll.

#7 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I believe the Eagles should cut MV with his tunrovers and injuries just isn't worth keeping around its time to move on.
Keep Foles atleast give him a fighting chance he isn't the fastest guy but he can pick up a few yds if he had to run the read option reminds me alot of Flacco or Big Ben in how he runs.
Draft a Qb that can compete for the job and be a good fit someone like EJ Manuel or Matt Scott could be a good options
Sign Dennis Dixon or Darron Thomas or both to add to competition and to bring in a QB that knows what kelly wants and can help the other guys on roster maybe keep on of them as like the 3rd string QB

#8 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

What's up? 93...

#9 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Seems to be a fair amount of negative speculation regarding the present and future state of our beloved birds as well. I realize that the past few years have been rough on most of the feathered faithful and that change can sometimes be difficult and uncomfortable but there is more of a chance that this "change" will be positive IMO. This team is NOT void of talent! It is not void of talent in the right places! With the right coaching, injection of renewed energy, a good draft, diligence in free agency and some injury luck, this ship can be righted.

#10 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

93...supposedly, Eagles are talking to Dixon's agent.

#11 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I like what Nck has done as well. He does have most of the tools to make it work. I also could see Dixon being a good move. I just don't see a quarterback in the draft where the pro's outway the cons. Any draft pick that we would use on a QB in this draft (rd 1-4) would be better used at another position.

#12 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

C5...i am prepared to give Chip time. Let him get his feet wet in the NFL...let him breathe. This fan base is stressing over when the DC will be announced. Mercy..give Chip time. The coaches cannot practice with the players until ota's. Calm down...Eagle fans.

#13 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

3D- I agree. I, like most Eagles fans, am looking for some news every day. I do know however, that good deals and decisions take time. This is Big Business! Not Madden 2013! These choices will affect many lives for many years. Chill out folks.

#14 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

BG- Where do you think EJ gets drafted provided he has a nice pro day? Personally I don't think he makes it out of Rd2. He may sneak down to Rd 3 but I doubt it.

#15 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

93...hit the nail on the head last year with Wilson the qb. That guy is a special talent.

#16 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

C5....If Manuel has a good pro day/combine he will most likely be a 2nd round QB if he struggles or does poorly he could become a late 3rd maybe even a 4th round QB. Also like Matt Scott who was Foles backup at AZ nad did a great job in his Senior yr leading AZ could be a nice pickup in the 5th maybe even 6th round

#17 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Oh...to be young and driven by ambition....
http://m.espn.go.com...yId=8917895

#18 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Everyone keeps thinking out loud as to weather Vick or Foles are the right quarterbacks for Kelly's offense but I haven't read anything about the possibility of Trent Edwards. I got to believe Chip is looking at him as well. Although I like Foles, Edwards is faster and of course he is an intelligent guy graduating from Stanford. Trent is 6ft 4 inches tall and weighs 230 pounds and was considered a mobile passer with the ability to throw the ball running out of the pocket by (Sports Xchange) coming out of college 6 years ago. Although Trent didn't play much last year he was very good in the pre season games. He had 54 completions for 80 attempts in passing with 4 touchdowns and more importantly "0" interceptions. Hmm!

#19 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Sign Dixon and drop Vick today! That $15.5 will be nice to spend on other holes. Can't wait!

#20 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

If MV is released...pure speculation...at this point. Do you think he clears waivers?

#21 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

BG- As of today, If I where to hang my hat on a QB to draft, it would be Tyler Wilson. Really tough kid that can read and react well. He got pummeled this past year but will probably rise quickly before April. The problem that I am having is that we NEED to draft good young players in other positions. RT, S, CB, DT, OG, LB, S, S in that order. Would love to get Byrd in here as well.

#22 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • Fan Since:late 70s

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

3D, for MV to be claimed off of waivers... without renegotiating his deal... the team would have to pay his contract. The other question... if he gets claimed, does that new team have to pay the $3mil??

#23 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

joe....that is only if we keep him past tomorrow.

We don't have to pay Vick anything if we drop him today.

#24 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

3D, for MV to be claimed off of waivers... without renegotiating his deal... the team would have to pay his contract. The other question... if he gets claimed, does that new team have to pay the $3mil??

thanks Joe...so no team will put a waiver claim on him unless the contract is drastically reduced. I would think the other team would be liable for the $3mil.

joe....that is only if we keep him past tomorrow.

We don't have to pay Vick anything if we drop him today.

very good...

#25 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

My 2 cents... MV is released, does not clear waivers and is resigned. Dixon is signed and we go into camps with MV, Foles, Edwards and Dixon. All bring unique qualities to an evolving scheme. Let the best man win!!! Thats really not all that bad.

#26 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Am I the only one who is getting tired of talking about what ifs and trying to guess what will happen? When are we going to finally have a football staff put together? That's what I want to know, to hell with all these speculations.

#27 joemas6

joemas6

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • Fan Since:late 70s

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Shady, got that part... my question was in follow up to 3D... if we cut MV today... and he is claimed off of waivers... would the new team be liable for the $3 mil?

#28 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

C5...this is with my Mock Draft for now probably will change up some after the combine/pro days i have posted it couple of times now I believe it addressing most needs not going to be able to get everything in just the draft.

Eagles trade down get extra 2nd round pick
1st-Lane Johnson seems like the perfect fit for Kelly zone blocking great athlete good size and reach can play RT for a few yrs and be JP replacement once he retires or we get rid of him.
2nd-Xavier Rhodes/Desmond Trufant- If Rhodes falls to good of a talent to pass up if he is gone Trufant is also an excelllent CB who is competitive needs help on his tackling he tends to go high but is isn't afraid to tackle which is good.
2nd-Brandon Williams-Massive DT at 6'3 340 would provide us with the big man in the middle to help against the run also can be both a 4-3 Dt or a 3-4 NT win-win how I see it
3rd-Phillip Thomas-Great S can cover and tackle he might not make it to the 3rd round but he he does would be a great steal there are plenty of other good S though(like Jonathan Cyprien) if he isn't here.
4th-Travis Kelce-Good TE that can block and catch would provide great competition with Celek and we all know Kelly loves his TEs
5th-Matt Scott- Good athletic QB that would provide competition would be perfect for the read option in Kelly O bit of a project you could say
6th-B.W. Webb-Small school kid that loves to compete would add nice competition to are CB group also would add a return man to our team that will hopefully compete and add a boost to are ST. Also would be a great value pick in the 6th
7th-Michael Mauti-Going to fall becuase of injuries but a good LB worth the risk in the 7th
7th-Marcus Davis/Rodney Smith- Big WR to add to the mix

FA-Bryd or Goldson- should be able to land one of them this would be the only huge signing we should have to make

#29 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,392 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

>>wrangler: you make a great point about Trent Edwards. he is a super back-up...and we all suspect that any young fool QB in Kelly dying duck college ball system will get hisself KILT.

Reuben Frank wrote a nice piece about the Eagles offense
http://www.csnphilly...-eagles-offense

Reading the RF article , one might conclude that Chip Kelly is going to play smurf-ball. I'll just say that guys like DeSean Jackson and Damaris Johnson make the occasional big play--and a few over excited fans get to wet their pants. I could care less about these ballerina type players ever suiting up as Eagles. Jackson has less guts than a barnyard chicken--and about the same amount of sense as one. Damaris is the better value at half the player.

Thinking these next few seasons will be known as the "Dark Ages of Football" in Philadelphia.

#30 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

joe....if we cut Vick today then he has no contract.