Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SP

ESPN's Merrill Hoge Says the #1 QB in the NFL is...

48 posts in this topic

Joe Flacco.

What a RhOMO.

5. Matt Ryan

4. Ben Roethlisberger

3. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

1. Joe Flacco

Mangini goes:

5. Eli Manning

4. Aaron Rodgers

3. Drew Brees

2. Peyton Manning

1. Tom Brady

Hoge is a friggin' flavor-of-the-day idiot.

For personal reference, I posted this on January 18th of this year:

Let's start from the bottom (all QBs with more than 4 starts in 2012):

The 'Should-Be-Backups'

These guys should be holding clipboards, not footballs

Brady Quinn

Blaine Gabbert

John Skelton

Matt Cassel

Matt Hasselbeck

Chad Henne

The 'I Stink But Get a Pass for Being Inexperienced'

These are the guys that are "still developing"

Kevin Kolb

Mark Sanchez

Jake Locker

Brandon Weeden

Sam Bradford

The 'Well, I Do Not SUCK' Guys

These are those "game managers"; the ones who aren't team leaders, but they get the job done.

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Nick Foles

Ryan Tannehill

Christian Ponder

Josh Freeman

Alex Smith

The 'Veteran Regular Season Warriors'

These older guys are those fantasy football winners, but can't win elimination games. They keep their teams in the hunt until weeks 16/17.

Carson Palmer

Michael Vick

Jay Cutler

Tony Romo

Philip Rivers

The 'Up-and-Coming Heroes'

These guys are your next wave of stars. They're the ones that will be winning championships over the next ten years.

Cam Newton

Russell Wilson

Collin Kaepernick

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Andy Dalton

The 'Fringe Stars'

These are guys that should be competing for All-Pro spots, but aren't the face of the NFL.

Joe Flacco

Matt Schaub

Matt Ryan

Matthew Stafford

The 'Almost There Gang'

These guys have Super Bowl rings, but aren't quite super stars. They're still a step above the last group.

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

The 'Goodell's Holy Team'

These guys are the face of the NFL and have their teams consistently in the hunt for championships.

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

And I feel pretty comfortable with that order too. Some of them are interchangeable to the groups above and below, depending on how they do in the current/next season. Most guys fluctuate only by one group (excluding the guys that go from Regular Season Warriors up to Fringe Stars, bypassing the up-and-coming title since they're older) from year-to-year. For instance, Ryan Tannehill might solidify himself as an "up-and-comer" or Philip Rivers takes the next step to "Fringe Star". Maybe Matthew Stafford regresses and has another year of heaving bad passes into double- and triple-coverage, and falls down into the "Regular Season Warrior" category.

Mangini and I had the same list :lol:

Hoge says he lives in the present/future and Mangini is a historian :roll: Where'd Roethlisberger end up this year?? :roll:

The 'Up-and-Coming Heroes'

These guys are your next wave of stars. They're the ones that will be winning championships over the next ten years.

Cam Newton

Collin Kaepernick

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Andy Dalton

Only one of them will ever win a championship, and it's not the cry baby Cam Newton, he's the next VY.

Only one of them will ever win a championship, and it's not the cry baby Cam Newton, he's the next VY.

Funny how Russel Wilson isn't mentioned anywhere. I'd take him over RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, Dalton, Newton....

2 people like this

The 'Veteran Regular Season Warriors'

These older guys are those fantasy football winners, but can't win elimination games. They keep their teams in the hunt until weeks 16/17.

Carson Palmer

Michael Vick

Jay Cutler

Tony Romo

Philip Rivers

:roll: :roll:

OMFG

1 person likes this

Apparently Flacco's agent wants him to be the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Apparently Flacco's agent wants him to be the highest paid QB in the NFL.

After him winning the bowl, I'd say that's likely to happen.

This country's obsession with ranking things :lol: that's all we do now...rank, rank and rank some more.

This country's obsession with ranking things :lol: that's all we do now...rank, rank and rank some more.

Who cares about the economy imploding. It's all about which QB is elite! :flex:

Who cares about the economy imploding. It's all about which QB is elite! :flex:

Hey, I never voted for this guy..I wanted Romney...I said if he got re-elected unemployment would go up..what happens? early january, and my firm lays off 2000...nice...

Funny how Russel Wilson isn't mentioned anywhere. I'd take him over RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, Dalton, Newton....

When Wilson first came to NC State the buzz down here was unbelievable based on what he had done in HS up in Richmond (97 combined TDs as a Jr & Sr) with the concensus of opinion being the only reason they even had a prayer of signing him was because he lacked prototypical QB size. If the kid had been 6'1" - 6'2" instead of 5'9" & change he would have pretty much had his pick of any school in the country, but as it turned out State & Duke were the only 2 that offered him a full ride.

With that being said, and despite how well he played last season and all of his intangibles, if I was a NFL GM and could pick my franchise QB for the next 10 years I would still take Luck because he's the total package.

Hey, I never voted for this guy..I wanted Romney...I said if he got re-elected unemployment would go up..what happens? early january, and my firm lays off 2000...nice...

Well that's ****ty, but is Joe Flacco elite?!?

Well that's ****ty, but is Joe Flacco elite?!?

Elite? He won the SB, but you can't tell me he's better than any of the guys who have won SB's recently...I wouldn't want him on my team...tricky question

I think he turns it around this season. He did it towards the end of last year.

I was watching and his list was just confusing. to say Peyton manning is not a top 5 QB is beyond idiotic. Flacco as the best? why because he got hot during a four game stretch? People forget his regular season and to me you have to have consistency every game to be the #1 guy and to be in that "elite" category. I still think the only four elite QB's are Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Brees. Then there is the next tier of guys like Eli, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, etc. I think If anything Flacco played himself into that tier.

The video of Hoge talking about it was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. Beyond hilarity. His reasoning is atrocious. The guy is not even a top 5 QB let alone #1.

:roll: :roll:

OMFG

Two of the three of the seasons that he's played, the team has been in the hunt. And he's a FF God, but a ishy QB.

I thought we ranked pretty low on rankings.

Why did I just watch Hoge tie a tie?

So you can tie a Hodge now

If I pick Roethlisberger, and you guys jump on me.

When I pick TD-machine-turnover-dissing-superbowl-winning Cool Joe Flacco, you guys jump on me.

Who should I pick? Vick? Foles? Whatever intern you guys have as your #3? I can't win with you people.

If I pick Roethlisberger, and you guys jump on me.

When I pick TD-machine-turnover-dissing-superbowl-winning Cool Joe Flacco, you guys jump on me.

Who should I pick? Vick? Foles? Whatever intern you guys have as your #3? I can't win with you people.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd agree with Mangini's pick of Brady at number one. I would have going into last year's post-season, but his last two post-season performances haven't been worthy of a number one-ranked QB. Flacco has been significantly better in their past two playoff encounters.

Right now, if I'm in a championship game and need a score to win it late, give me Flacco or Eli Manning.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd agree with Mangini's pick of Brady at number one. I would have going into last year's post-season, but his last two post-season performances haven't been worthy of a number one-ranked QB. Flacco has been significantly better in their past two playoff encounters.

Right now, if I'm in a championship game and need a score to win it late, give me Flacco or Eli Manning.

When did Flacco score any points to win the game late? The only TD Baltimore scored in the 2nd half was from a kick return, and in the 4th quarter he threw for a total of 37 yards.....comparing that to what Eli did is laughable.

Flacco is a good QB, but he doesn;t carry that team on offense, not even close. Boldin was obviously the MVP of that game as well

When did Flacco score any points to win the game late? The only TD Baltimore scored in the 2nd half was from a kick return, and in the 4th quarter he threw for a total of 37 yards.....comparing that to what Eli did is laughable.

Flacco is a good QB, but he doesn;t carry that team on offense, not even close. Boldin was obviously the MVP of that game as well

Exactly. Here's what I had to say on that subject. Mind you, this was before the AFC Championship and Super Bowl, but the facts still apply:

David, that doesn't make any sense! The team has been leaning on Ray Rice and that defense for the majority of it. If anything, given the fact that he went 9-23 and 11-22 in his first two playoff games goes to show he didn't belong. Hell, the defense gave up 19 points COMBINED in those two games. Again, defense.

Come the next game, the Steelers whooped him and intercepted him three times.

Next season? 4-10 in the first game. And we won't get into the second, went the Colts spanked him again.

He looked good the following season against KC, but was a part of three turnovers in ANOTHER playoff loss to the Steelers.

If anything, you can only point to the last couple of seasons when he finally started putting it together. I mean, you consider at how lost he looked up until 2011 and you have to say they were winning in the playoffs in SPITE of him. You're going to hang your hat on 4-10 for 34 yards and an interception, just to be able to say he's the only QB to ever win a playoff game in his first three seasons?