Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MightyJNC

NFL Adjusting Skins Schedule based on RG3's Availability

36 posts in this topic

The quote isn't "finalizing" it's:

"Adam Schefter's report Sunday said the league had inquired to see if the Redskins could provide them with any information about the recovery as it worked to schedule its 2013 prime time games."

Perhaps we have different definitions of the term "to schedule" but to me that is saying on which dates they will hold those specific games.

Yes, like figuring out if the Redskins prime time games are early in the season or late in the season, not switching the order of the opponents. The dates of the Redskins prime time games. Same definition, you're just reading more into it than what was said.

Not saying that they're DEFINITELY not switching the order of the games, I'm just saying there's nothing in the report that implies it either way.

The NFL is run by the big TV money . That's why the SB is always a late game now . Got to get max audience time frame to drive all those sponsors paying all that money . You may have thought this sport was played and driven by the fans but you'd be wrong . RG3 is now a big draw and pushes up those all important TV ratings and viewing scores , so YES they will do whatever it takes to max the $$$$ .

Yes, like figuring out if the Redskins prime time games are early in the season or late in the season, not switching the order of the opponents. The dates of the Redskins prime time games. Same definition, you're just reading more into it than what was said.

Not saying that they're DEFINITELY not switching the order of the games, I'm just saying there's nothing in the report that implies it either way.

The "order of the games" will not be finalized or announced until April. The only element of the schedule that is currently set is who each team will play at home and away.

Other than from a TV ratings standpoint how is it a "good move by the NFL??? :blink:

What the hell why not just go full-blown "American Idol" then and let fans text vote on who should win which games based on who their favorite players are?

As someone who has been following the NFL for almost 50 years, the day I'm convinced that the outcome on the field is being determined by anything other than uncompromised competition is the day I've watched my last game.

That day was when the Herschel Walker trade was approved by the league, giving Dallas an obvious, improper, and completely unfair advantage for half a decade. Scheduling is a minor sideshow to what that circus represented.

That day was when the Herschel Walker trade was approved by the league, giving Dallas an obvious, improper, and completely unfair advantage for half a decade. Scheduling is a minor sideshow to what that circus represented.

It's a different topic, Pocono, but why should the league be responsible for protecting teams against making bad trades? Where exactly is the line drawn?

What made that trade look so egregiously bad was the brilliant job Johnson did with the picks he got. Had half of those picks bombed, and the Cowboys were simply ordinary, not a single mention would ever be made of it again.

The fact that he hit home run on top of home run and built the last truly great team we'll probably ever see is why it is remembered the way it is.

It's a different topic, Pocono, but why should the league be responsible for protecting teams against making bad trades? Where exactly is the line drawn?

What made that trade look so egregiously bad was the brilliant job Johnson did with the picks he got. Had half of those picks bombed, and the Cowboys were simply ordinary, not a single mention would ever be made of it again.

The fact that he hit home run on top of home run and built the last truly great team we'll probably ever see is why it is remembered the way it is.

The way the deal was structured, failure was as remote an outcome as possible. As reported at the time, the Vikings GM was on notice that he was gone no matter what, and was actively working to stick it to the owner. That was relatively common knowledge then, but because Jones had lobbied so hard to get his friend, Tagliabue his job as the Commissioner, the league apparently turned a blind eye to a trade that was no where near anything, but collusion to undermine the otherwise fair draft system.

Now, did Johnson and the personnel people pick right...yep. Did they get a bevy of players to test out in OTA's and training camp? yep. Did they get to keep the good ones (like jack Del Rio) and ship back the bad ones for additional picks? yep. After they got all of those pieces at one time and had no other extra help, did Jones petition a rules change so that compensatory picks for FA losses could not be higher than the end of the 3rd round (some of his just prior were better)? yep. Once ALL that they garnered from that extra help evaporated, have they ever been the same? nope. Will they ever be? probably not....without cheating again, anyway.

There are a lot of ways to create an unfair advantage for the sake of increasing revenues.....what happened with the Cowboys was just one of them.....but it definitely was one of them....from my point of view.

Well hopefully they change the Washington redskins name to the griffings then they go primetime.

I give them credit for 'working' the system, and drafting brilliantly.

I don't know, Pocono, I'm just sick of Eagles fans whining (not referring to you) about why other teams have success while we allegedly do everything squeaky clean and within the rules and continue to fail. If its not the Cowboys, it's Spygate.

I'd love someone here to one time get a competitive edge that treads the ethical line and results in a championship. I'll laugh at the moaning of other teams' fans then.

MJ,

I think winning it all without an asterisk or a caveat is still possible in the NFL. It comes down to simply being the best within the rules and that's all I want......besides, the other fans will moan then too....even if there's no reason for it.

At least now we have a real chance to start the process.....assuming Kelly was the correct hire, Howie is a top GM talent, the team is dramatically upgraded at a bunch of starting positions including QB, and they stay healthy during their window of opportunity to make a run....that's not asking too much is it? That for once (as you adeptly put it), the Eagles are the best?

At least now we have a real chance to start the process.....assuming Kelly was the correct hire, Howie is a top GM talent, the team is dramatically upgraded at a bunch of starting positions including QB, and they stay healthy during their window of opportunity to make a run....that's not asking too much is it? That for once (as you adeptly put it), the Eagles are the best?

Asking too much for these guys to make history here?

Nah, piece of cake. :huh:

RG3, Captain Kirk Cousins, doesn't really matter. 1 pm, 4 pm, Prime Time game, doesn't really matter. As the Skins will win most of their games next year.