Photo
- - - - -

NFL Adjusting Skins Schedule based on RG3's Availability

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,210 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

It's a different topic, Pocono, but why should the league be responsible for protecting teams against making bad trades? Where exactly is the line drawn?

What made that trade look so egregiously bad was the brilliant job Johnson did with the picks he got. Had half of those picks bombed, and the Cowboys were simply ordinary, not a single mention would ever be made of it again.

The fact that he hit home run on top of home run and built the last truly great team we'll probably ever see is why it is remembered the way it is.

The way the deal was structured, failure was as remote an outcome as possible. As reported at the time, the Vikings GM was on notice that he was gone no matter what, and was actively working to stick it to the owner. That was relatively common knowledge then, but because Jones had lobbied so hard to get his friend, Tagliabue his job as the Commissioner, the league apparently turned a blind eye to a trade that was no where near anything, but collusion to undermine the otherwise fair draft system.

Now, did Johnson and the personnel people pick right...yep. Did they get a bevy of players to test out in OTA's and training camp? yep. Did they get to keep the good ones (like jack Del Rio) and ship back the bad ones for additional picks? yep. After they got all of those pieces at one time and had no other extra help, did Jones petition a rules change so that compensatory picks for FA losses could not be higher than the end of the 3rd round (some of his just prior were better)? yep. Once ALL that they garnered from that extra help evaporated, have they ever been the same? nope. Will they ever be? probably not....without cheating again, anyway.

There are a lot of ways to create an unfair advantage for the sake of increasing revenues.....what happened with the Cowboys was just one of them.....but it definitely was one of them....from my point of view.

#32 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well hopefully they change the Washington redskins name to the griffings then they go primetime.

#33 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I give them credit for 'working' the system, and drafting brilliantly.

I don't know, Pocono, I'm just sick of Eagles fans whining (not referring to you) about why other teams have success while we allegedly do everything squeaky clean and within the rules and continue to fail. If its not the Cowboys, it's Spygate.

I'd love someone here to one time get a competitive edge that treads the ethical line and results in a championship. I'll laugh at the moaning of other teams' fans then.

#34 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

MJ,

I think winning it all without an asterisk or a caveat is still possible in the NFL. It comes down to simply being the best within the rules and that's all I want......besides, the other fans will moan then too....even if there's no reason for it.

At least now we have a real chance to start the process.....assuming Kelly was the correct hire, Howie is a top GM talent, the team is dramatically upgraded at a bunch of starting positions including QB, and they stay healthy during their window of opportunity to make a run....that's not asking too much is it? That for once (as you adeptly put it), the Eagles are the best?

#35 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

At least now we have a real chance to start the process.....assuming Kelly was the correct hire, Howie is a top GM talent, the team is dramatically upgraded at a bunch of starting positions including QB, and they stay healthy during their window of opportunity to make a run....that's not asking too much is it? That for once (as you adeptly put it), the Eagles are the best?

Asking too much for these guys to make history here?

Nah, piece of cake. :huh:

#36 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

RG3, Captain Kirk Cousins, doesn't really matter. 1 pm, 4 pm, Prime Time game, doesn't really matter. As the Skins will win most of their games next year.